Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 Memory Leak / Buggy / Slow

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
benkenta
941 Views, 4 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 Memory Leak / Buggy / Slow

I recently installed AutoCAD 2014 using a student licence. (I have had issues with running and then updating AutoCAD that were resolved but I won't talk about these unless someone thinks it might help solve my current problem). Basically the program seems to run OK however I noticed the mouse cursor keeps flickering rapidly between the wait cursor and the usual cursor. This was a bit annoying but it didn't seem to be causing a problem so I ignored it. Then one day I left AutoCAD running with a drawing open (it only contained a cube). After coming back to the PC after about an hour AutoCAD became totally unresponsive. Starting task manager I saw that AutoCAD was taking up almost 7GB of my 8GB RAM installed! I had never used AutoCAD for more than a few minutes at a time on my PC before so I didn't notice this problem until now. I am running AutoCAD now as I type to see if the problem comes back, and the cursor is still flickering! Does anybody have the same problem? Does anyone know how to fix this? Also, I had expected AutoCAD 2014 to run a bit more responsively on my PC than it does.

My system has 8GB Ram, i3 processor, GT 630 GPU, and windows 7 HP 64bit installed. 

Thanks for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
braudpat
in reply to: benkenta

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

Please a few Infos ...

1) Which speed in Ghz for your Core i3 ?

2) Have you the problem with a "small" DWG - Task "ACAD.exe" using 7 Gb !!

Can you share with us (in .ZIP format) this DWG ?

3) Have you installed the SP for your ACAD 2014 ?

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-2014-service-...

4) Have you tested your PC with Anti-Malware AND Anti-Virus ???

5) Have you the problem with a DWG stored LOCALLY on your Hard Disk ?

6) Have you purged/cleaned your DWGs ?

Waiting ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
benkenta
in reply to: braudpat

Hi

1) Processor is 3.10Ghz

2) The problem doesn't appear to occur with any particular drawing, I created a new one today and after messing around with it for 40mins ~5GB was being taken up by AutoCAD. After closing AutoCAD and reopening this drawing memory was back to usual again. It seems the longer I use AutoCAD the memory just gets higher and higher. 

3) I have installed the lateset SP but I had to download the file from website because AutoCAD would completely crash when I tried update from within the program. These major crashes have fixed with the new SP though.

4) My PC has anti-malware and anti-virus and PC performs fine with other tasks. (I am running scans now just in case)

5) Same answer to 2)

6) I don't really have any DWGs, I am new to AutoCAD and I am learning to use it at University. I have one DWG file for practice which was created at University with AutoCAD 2015. Should I try opening this file with my AutoCAD to see if the problem persists?

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
pendean

1. Never leave AutoCAD unattended for a day or more. Never.
2. Screen flickering means the AutoCAD and your video card don't play well together. Change hardware acceleration in AutoCAD if you can't find Autodesk Certified Drivers for your card.
3. Seems you don't have much of an issue with regular use, if I read your reply correctly.
4. Set your anti-virus and anti-whatever software to EXCLUDE AUtoCAD and all it's files from scanning, including all DWG/BAK files. Make sure those apps where off when you installd the software too.
5. an i3 comes in a 3GHZ unit? I did not know that light-duty toy-processor went that high up. Learned something new today 🙂
Message 5 of 5
benkenta

I went and installed AutoCAD 2015 because the license for it became available for me. It performs twice as responsively as AutoCAD 2014 and I have had no mouse flickering (between usual and wait cursor) and no memory issues or crashes. I guess the solution to the AutoCAD 2014 would have been to reinstall it, but I thought why bother when I can have 2015 now! (I tried the repair reinstall on 2014 but this did not work so if anyone has this problem completely uninstall AutoCAD 2014 and download  the program from the Internet again; I guess I had a bad download or something).

Thanks for the suggestions/help anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost