Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014-Expand Ribbon Panels Vertically?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
EliseB
3398 Views, 11 Replies

AutoCAD 2014-Expand Ribbon Panels Vertically?

Our firm just made the switch from AutoCAD 2008 to AutoCAD 2014.  We are looking for a way to make the Ribbon behave more like Dashboards did.  Specifically, a way to expand and contract the panels vertically (rather than horizontally).  I found a blog here showing exactly what we would like to accomplish (but in AutoCAD 2009). Is this still possible in AutoCAD 2014? And if so, how do I achieve this?

Thank you so much for your help!

Elise

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: EliseB

Hi,

you can dock the ribbon also left/right like shown >>>here<<<.

But I would not recommend that as it needs a lot of space more than on the top position.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 12
pendean

Alfred, on a wide screen monitor the loss of screen real estate is less of a problem when the ribbon is docked to the side rather than the top.
Side placement of the Ribbon actually makes a lot more sense.
Message 4 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: pendean

Hi,

>> Side placement of the Ribbon actually makes a lot more sense.

Except of the mass of unused space ... there might be icons if you modify the complete menu-structure, but for default AutoCAD-menu it's unused space.

...and so everyone sees different pro's and con's 😉

2014-02-15 19-28-59.png

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 12
pendean

I take it you never used the 2008's Dashboard 🙂

I got the impression the OP wasn't going to be satisfied with OOTB CUIX menu: your concerns can be addressed well enough that way.
Message 6 of 12
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: pendean

I had forgotten about the dashboard! Was that like a one year thing?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 7 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

@Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

I had forgotten about the dashboard! Was that like a one year thing?

Well, it was introduced in r2007.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
GrantsPirate

Right click over the Ribbon and pick undock. Drag it to the side to dock it, adjust the size to your taste.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 9 of 12
EliseB
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

It is not so much being able to physically MOVE the Ribbon from the top to the side (I understand you can drag and drop it)....I am trying to figure out a way (once I've moved the Ribbon to the side of my screen) to have the panels slide down vertically instead of slide out horizontally when I click on them.  It takes up valuable space within the drawing if everytime I click a panel it expands into my workspace.  Here is the link to what I am trying to achieve.

Again, thank you so much for your patience and help!

Elise

Message 10 of 12
Cadguru42

@EliseB wrote:

It is not so much being able to physically MOVE the Ribbon from the top to the side (I understand you can drag and drop it)....I am trying to figure out a way (once I've moved the Ribbon to the side of my screen) to have the panels slide down vertically instead of slide out horizontally when I click on them.  It takes up valuable space within the drawing if everytime I click a panel it expands into my workspace.  Here is the link to what I am trying to achieve.

Again, thank you so much for your patience and help!

Elise

That's a pretty neat way to use the Ribbon. I never messed with the ribbon back in 2009, so I wasn't aware that it could have been used that way. I've always hated how the ribbon system works with being horizontal, even though screens aren't increasing vertically. If this could be achieved again with 2014 that'd be awesome!

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 11 of 12
randyspear6624
in reply to: Cadguru42

I just moved to 2014 products... When I undock and drag to the left side and then minimize to panel titles/icons, my CAD freezes and I'm forced to end task (or it eventually crashes after 5 mins). Anybody else have this issue? (it happens in AutoCAD and Civil 3D)

I was really hoping for a stable release this time.. ugh!

Message 12 of 12

Mine will crash doing the same thing, 2014 Mechanical run as plain ACAD.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost