Did you mean: 

AutoCad 2014 - Error 1324

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
mzanfardino
17244 Views, 23 Replies

AutoCad 2014 - Error 1324

After installing AutoCAD 2014 in an administrator account, when the user logs in and tries to run the program they get an Error 1324 The folder path '(Users Name)' contains an invalid character. All user accounts (with the exception of the administrator account) are redirected from our server.

1) Users will never have full admin rights to their computer. To a specific folder is a possibility, but never full rights.

2) Does not happen on non-redirected profiles. 

3) Have tried the steps in http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2885691&linkID=9240617 and they don't work in this case.

4) This is happening on multiple computers/accounts

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
AllenISD
in reply to: mzanfardino

I have the same thing happening. Some accounts work fine and others don't. Can't seem to find a good reason for it.

Message 3 of 24
pendean

The error message refers to the path containing an "invalid character": did you try to indetify what this character is (by comapring it to other users)?
Provide an example for each (redirected and non-redirected) specific to this user if you can.
Message 4 of 24
AllenISD
in reply to: pendean

The only characters are letters and spaces. I would assume those aren't invalid. Besides it never gives a full path. Just says "Error 1324. The folder path 'user name' contains an invalid character." I assume that is the path to the users home drive which is redirected from a server. I thought the redirection was the problem but other accounts with the same kind of redirected drive works just fine.

Message 5 of 24
mzanfardino

These are the folders that we have redirected. 

\\userdata\ProfileData\michael zanfardino\Desktop

\\userdata\ProfileData\michael zanfardino\Favorites

\\userdata\ProfileData\michael zanfardino\Documents

I'd assume that it's the last one that may be the problem, but I can't be for certain. On the same computer, if I log in with an account that is not redirected, there is no error message as well as if I log in as an administrator there is no error message. The users have full rights though to their redirected folders.  

Message 6 of 24
Matt7927

I have the exact same issue,

Noticed a comment on another thread  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Install-error-quot-1324-the-folder-path-my-docu...

Saying:

"Have your IT adjust the policy to move your MyDocs back to C:\ for the install, then move it back afterwards.  Whoever came up with this moving profile defaults to a server was a moron"

This is not a helpful solution, Look forward to any suggetsions or reccomendation that support standard folder redirection

Thanks

Message 7 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Matt7927

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com!

>> Whoever came up with this moving profile defaults to a server was a moron"

Was that necessary? At least it was a hint that helped some in the same situation. If you don't like it or it does not fit to your environment does not mean that you need to offend someone (who just tried to help!).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 24
Matt7927
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

That was my point, Folder redirection is fairly common practice, reverting back to local is not an option.

Message 9 of 24
AllenISD

That other thread doesn't even apply to this. I already have AutoCAD installed. Installing with an account that doesn't redirect any folders would solve the problem if I was having an install problem. The problem I'm having is running ir with some accounts that have redirected folders. Some work some don't.

Message 10 of 24
Matt7927

Hi, sorry I should be Clear, as an Administrator, installing AutoCAD Electrical, Install with an Account with Admin privilege is fine, (WITH Folder redirection).

Running the app with ANY account with admin privilege is Fine (WITH folder redirection)

Running the app using a Standard user account (with Folder redirection) Doesn't work, throws up the 1324 invalid character issue and config errors in the local event log.  If I use a standard Account without folder redirection it works and show successful config in the event viewer.

Basically a Standard account with folder redirection seems to be where my issue is

Message 11 of 24
mzanfardino

Additional steps I've tried:

I uninstalled Autocad. Gave the user w/ a rediected profile Admin Rights and tried to reinstall and immediately got the Error 1324 error. If I reinstall it in the non-redirected account it installs and works fine. As soon as I switch over to the account with the redirected profile (will with admin rights), when I try to start the program I get the error 1324. This happens on more than one account with a redirected profile. I even tried installing it on a different computer and the same thing happens. 

Message 12 of 24

Hi,

>> As soon as I switch over to the account with the redirected profile (will with admin rights),

>> when I try to start the program I get the error 1324

"with admin rights" means local admin-rights or also network admin-rights?

Is it possible that the local admin with redirected folders does not have enough permissions on that folders?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 13 of 24

Users have full admin rights to their redirected folders and I gave full admin rights to the users I've tried so far to get this working on. I had a similar problem with AutoCad 2013, but a registry change fixed the problem I was having there. I tried the same thing in 2014 and no luck.

One thing I did notice though that in the admin account w/o a redirected profile, the registry key HKCU\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.1\ACAD-D001:409 exists while it doesn't in an admin account w/ a redirected profile.I don't know if it's related, but it's one possible thing. 

Oh, I did try importing that key into the account with the redirected profile and fixed the location keys, but no luck there either.

Message 14 of 24
mzanfardino

So I got tired of waiting for my pay-for-support to get back with me and finally ended up fixing it myself. It has everything to do with redirected profile evidently in my case. I backed up these regkeys - 

\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\ConvertVersion\Winlogon\

\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\

Then I modified the following to match

\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\ConvertVersion\Winlogon\

Userinit:              C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,

\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\

Desktop:              %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

Favorites:            %USERPROFILE%\Favorites

My Music:           %USERPROFILE%\Music

My Pictures:       %USERPROFILE%\Pictures

Personal:             %USERPROFILE%\Documents

After I logged the user out and back in I was able to start autocad 2014 without the 1324 error. I then restored the registry keys and verified that the the locations above were pointed back to the redirected location. Logged the user out and back in and verified that AutoCad 2014 still worked.

It would be really great if AutoDesk could fix their programs to work with redirected profiles. For large companies it's an easy way to manage users and helps with backups and restoration. As a purchaser for our local government IT department, I'm going to be real hesitant about purchasing/upgrading any of our departments to newer versions of AutoCad that continue to exhibit this problem. 

Message 15 of 24
mjesse

Is there any other fixes for this issue? I still cannot get 2014 installed. Users here are in the local admin group, and folder redirection is on. I can install the software either as local admin, or as myself (domain admin) but the standard user still gets the 1324 error. I have tried everything I can find online to resolve this, yet nothing posted has worked.

Message 16 of 24
error808

Well after headbanging for 2 weeks and trying to figure this problem out what happened was the following scneario

as we have 2 different campus sites we have 2 fileservers running win 2008

a staff memberA  who had their profile and user drive on Site 1 logged on to the machine and auto cad worked fine

staff member B who had profile and user drive on site 2 logged into the machin that invalid character error kept coming up

so moved Staff member B profile and user drive to Site One Servers and it worked fine

differnce betwen the 2

Site B server did not have Owner Creator permissions on the users folder

thats just one solution we had...

this was after trying every single google suggestion out there none of it worked messing about with registery, resinstalling software, recreating profiles on the same server the lot you name it!

Message 17 of 24

This worked for me.

My IT guy only made changes to the following keys in the registry (due I'm sure to differneces in the way our profiles are redirected (and roam)):

AppData:     %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

Pictures:       %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Pictures

Personal:      %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

Also, it should be noted that I'm using AutoCAD 2013 in Windows 7.

Message 18 of 24
ZWalter2365

This post is over four years old and I am experiencing this same issue with AutoCAD 2018 - is there any update?  Am I doing something wrong in creating the deployment?

It is pretty silly that AutoDesk is still having issues with redirected folders in 2017- I also noticed that the same users did not experience this problem on first run of Revit 2018, so it seems to be strictly related to AutoCAD.  The only special characters in our network locations are (.) and ($) - but, as noted by others, I have no problem launching AutoCAD and the for the folks who do, he only differences between my redirected folder and theirs is a few letters - same numbers and special characters.  Having to remote in and make registry changes to users' computers kind of defeats the purpose of an automated installation :-S

Any help would be super awesome!

Message 19 of 24
mzanfardino
in reply to: ZWalter2365

Sadly we are still experiencing the same errors with some of the newer versions of the same software. I sent email to the software engineers years ago about this problem and nothing ever seemed to come of it. The special character error I think is just a generic one. My personal profile doesn't have any special characters in it but I still receive the error from time to time when I try to install something that wants to install to one of the redirected paths. It doesn't happen on all software that uses those redirected paths, just a few.
Good luck!
Message 20 of 24

Also Getting the same issue on Auto-CAD 2019 on Windows 10

As a Domain Admin it works fine,

As a local admin it works fine.

I gave the end user full permission to the auto-cad folder.

If im logged in as the end user (Standard privileges) and do a run as admin and put in my admin details it will run without the error.

We have Folder redirection but yet to try the reg key fixes.

A previous machine which was windows 7 it worked fine nativity but that had no folder redirection.

If i create an account for the end user as a local admin it will work but then the user has to switch user every time to run the program which is a big faf,

Im thinking to create a local admin account and let the program run as that user see if that can be set ?? not sure it would work.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-run-programs-as-administrator-in-windows-10-3632744...

Tried the above link, still didnt work its the folder redirection.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost