Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 Drawing tabs Changing drawings randomly

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Ben_Wood
2165 Views, 12 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 Drawing tabs Changing drawings randomly

Recently we have discovered a glitch in the drawing tabs for AutoCAD.  currently i am using AutoCAD 2014 and i am having this problem when changing from model space to layout space autocad will switch my active drawing to another that i have open.  We have also had this problem with 2011 and 2013 using MIDI tabs, this has just starting in the last couple of days. Is anyone else experiencing this problem and do you have a fix for it?

Thanks,

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: Ben_Wood

Just to be clear, you are using the top Drawing Tabs to switch to paperspace instead of clicking on the model/layout tabs at the bottom? And if you use the quicker faster model/layout tabs on the bottom what happens?

It's interesting that you've had this problem in other versions with 3rd party add-ons too: by chance is this triggered right after you SAVE or QSAVE?
Message 3 of 13
Ben_Wood
in reply to: pendean

Oh if it were just that easy.  no I was switching between model/layout with the tabs at the bottom.

example:

open 3 sheets,  standard layer drafting.  xrefs with annotations on the sheets

open 2 xrefs,  coordinating sections and elevations

while adding notes to a sheet, I flip back to layout space to check that nothing is being cut off and looks correct. and BAM into the xref we go. 

This seems to be random. it is usually the last file edited but can be any of the open files.  To make matters worse it does not happen EVERY time you change to model/layout.

A co-worker had the same problem the other day with 2011, I was called to help with this, however this was a bit different as Autosave was trying to save several drawings at once and had almost rendered AutoCAD useless till it finished.  I chaulked it up to "too many drawings open"  and using an out of date version of AutoCAD

I have ruled out Autosave as the culprit as I myself have autosave shut off on my machine quiet often by etransmit and forget to turn it back on.

Thanks for replying so soon

Message 4 of 13
pendean

So you ARE in a command while running? same as the qsave comment (not autosave, no one mentioned that at all), it happens randomly for most of us here too, too random really.

I've never seen a fix.
Message 5 of 13
Ben_Wood
in reply to: pendean

Well i am glad to see that we have some company in this particular boat.  I will be paying closer attention to what I am doing when this happens.  I did not bring it up in the forums before as MIDI tabs was not a supported product for AutoCAD until 2014.  thank you for your help on this one.

Message 6 of 13
adammacomber

I am having a similar issue, mostly. I am in AutoCAD 2015, this just started yesterday, at least that is when I noticed it first. When I go from layout to model space my ribbon switches to the next menu on the ribbon, then when I go from Model to Layout it switches to the Layout ribbon menu. It's very annoying and distracting.

I did drag some of the menus yesterday to rearrange the order so that the ribbons I use most often are on the end, I am thinking that is what triggered the glitch.

Anyone have a suggestion to fix this?

Message 7 of 13
dfrykberg
in reply to: adammacomber

My problem is that the order of the layout tabs keeps changing randomly, but only in AutoCAD 2015.  Every time, before publishing a drawing set, I have to rearrange the layout tabs in the correct sequence.  Also, I have to keep searching for the correct tab when working on the drawing set.

I am using exactly the same drawing, and drawing setup, as with 2014. (I am not sure whether the ribbon is also changing since everything that I do is from the command line).

Any advice would be most welcome!

Message 8 of 13
ntellery
in reply to: dfrykberg

Yes I have the same problem.  It appears the wizards have enabled the ability to grab a Tab (left mouse) and flick it to move it to the end (far right). So if you click on a tab and move slightly it will throw it to the end. 

Brilliant!  If you try to do it slowly it's difficult to make it happen but a quick flick will do it. 

Very annoying and unhelpful.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 9 of 13
nrz13
in reply to: dfrykberg

Hotfix for that particular tab reordering bug, which was introduced in AutoCAD 2015 SP2, is here:
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-C2-AE-autoca...

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 10 of 13
Dmatchell
in reply to: nrz13

Hello,

I am having the same problem with C3D 2014 with SP2. if I have 3 drawings open and have been working for a while the little blue spinny thing starts and all of a sudden i am in another drawing. And when I go to select my last drawing it goes over to it and then jumps back to another the last drawing. other user in my office experence the same thing. What i do is just start clossing drawings. are there any more service packs for C3D 2014?

Message 11 of 13
simoncc
in reply to: nrz13

I have this same problem. Wouldn't it be a good idea to put the Hotfix on general release saving having to search for a solution?

Message 12 of 13
rkmcswain
in reply to: Dmatchell

Dmatchell wrote:

I am having the same problem with C3D 2014 with SP2. if I have 3 drawings open and have been working for a while the little blue spinny thing starts and all of a sudden i am in another drawing. And when I go to select my last drawing it goes over to it and then jumps back to another the last drawing....

@Dmatchell - did you ever figure out what is causing this?

I've got some users on C3D 2014 SP2 complaining about the same exact thing.

Thanks.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 13 of 13
adammacomber
in reply to: Dmatchell

I haven't had this issue in quite some time. I don't actually remember how I fixed it, but I think I applied the hotfix (the link in the post just before yours) and I stopped having the problem.

It's so hard to remember these things because as soon as you fix one problem a new one pops up. There is always something.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost