Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 crashing after first run

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
u70bp
2738 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 crashing after first run

My problem is the same as the unresolved case at this link: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010-2011-2012-DWG/AutoCAD-2012-64-bit-version-crashing-after-...

I am running AutoCAD 2014 64-bit on a Lenovo ThinkPad W530. I am using the Student version, as in the above topic. I experienced the same problem with AutoCAD 2013 and upgraded to see if the problem would be solved.I am running Windows 7, 64-bit.

Upon opening AutoCAD for the initial run, the 'Welcome' screen opens and I am able to use the program properly. After closing and re-opening the program, the 'Welcome' screen does not show up (although the option was left checked) and any number of things cause the program to crash. Right clicking anywhere on the screen and opening a file cause a crash, and none of the buttons on the ribbon work.

I have completely uninstalled (per Autodesk instructions) and reinstalled, no change. I have tried to delete my Cascadeinfo.cas file and running the program as instructed in the above topic, no change. I have contacted Autodesk support, who suggested a hotfix for Intel graphics chips, no change. Autodesk then told me that they understand students have trouble installing products and that they couldn't help me. I have installed the program properly, as I have had it work on a previous Toshiba Qosmio laptop, which is now broken.

The only thing which offers a temporary solution is to open AutoCAD using the "Reset Settings to Default" option in my Start menu, which is a big time consumer. This initializes AutoCAD as if it were the first run each time.

I have attached the tuner log for both my first and second run of the program. I am happy to provide any further information required to resolve this problem.

Regards,

Garrett

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: u70bp

There is a freeware called PROCESSEXPLORER, get it: run AutoCAD the first time, do your thing in it, then close as you describe above.
Instead of restarting AutoCAD, start the freeware and see if by chance the freeware reports that AutoCAD is still running or not.
Message 3 of 8
u70bp
in reply to: pendean

I started the freeware and then started AutoCAD for the first run. It showed up in the freeware. I doodled for a few minutes and then closed it. The instance of AutoCAD disappeared from the process explorer.

Interestingly, during the first run, the process showed up under its own instance as shown below:

In the second run, it showed up under Windows Explorer, not as its own instance in the process window. Also notably missing is the process "ACWebBrowser".

Message 4 of 8
Letherine

I dont know whether your pc has a Nvidia AND an Intel graphics, but if it does, try running AutoCad with a specified GPu by right clicking on the shortcut and select "run with graphic processor", or you can specify the graphic processor to run it in Nvidia control panel. The reason for this because after uninstalling cad2013 an entry for it is still left, leaving cad 2014 out of the list and we dont know what the hell is handling Cad.exe. It's still my experience only, Hope this'll help.
Message 5 of 8
dgorsman

Did you install with admin permissions, with UAC *and* anti-virus turned off?  Are you running the first time with admin permissions?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 8
u70bp
in reply to: dgorsman

The program was installed with UAC and anti-virus turned off. It is running with admin permissions.

The problem was occurring with AutoCAD 2013 before installing 2014. I chose to run it with the NVidia card, which was labelled default. It still crashed upon right clicking on the screen.
Message 7 of 8
pendean

"...The problem was occurring with AutoCAD 2013 before installing 2014..."
As this is an ongoing issue that has never been resolved? Do you have the ability to only run it with the Intel graphics card? That seems to be less troublesome.
Message 8 of 8
u70bp

After trying the "Integrated graphics" option, the program started properly. I closed AutoCAD, waited a minute, and opened it again. It again opened properly. It seems that my NVidia card is causing the crash. Thank you very much for your help! I am setting the integrated graphics option to the default for AutoCAD now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost