Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2013 - General Issues

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
MatthewB80097
614 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD 2013 - General Issues

My company has recently updated all users machines with AutoCAD 2013 or 2014. I run 2013.

Personally I prefer to use the customised version of the classic workspace as I do not like the full ribbon interface as it is clunky, slow and the toolbars take up too much space. (I use keyboard shortcuts anyway). However every time I go into CAD it always defaults to the ribbon mode despite me setting the Classic workspace and the automatic save changes before shut down of a previous session. Is there a system variable that I have to use i.e. 0 or 1 to set Classsic to default

Also I have had numerous crashes with this software, is this common? I am not at present running the recommended requirements of 4GB of ram as I am on a 32 bit system so suspect its something to do with that. Service packs are up to date.

When I do any selection type work I have lots of little crosshairs appearing which only go way after I hit the cancel command - again is there system variable that switches them off ( screenshot attached)

Strange crosses.bmp

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
braudpat
in reply to: MatthewB80097

Hello

Assuming you have the SP 2 on your ACAD 2013 and the SP 1 on your ACAD 2014 !

Please can you run a little bit with Hardware Graphic Acceleration DISABLED to see if you crash less !?

Which graphic card on your PCs ?

Which Windows exactly : Win XP Pro, Win Seven , Win 8.0, Win 8.1 ??

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
nestly2

Re: Workspace

Do you have Automatic workspace saving turned On or OFF?  If OFF (recommened) are you manually saving before closing or switching to a different workspace/profile?  Do you perhaps have an existing workspace switch in your AutoCAD shortcut that's causing AutoCAD to start in a Ribbon based workspace?

Message 4 of 9
M_Hensley

Those crosses look like blips. Type .BLIPMODE (with a period in front) and set it to off.

Message 5 of 9
pendean

Running in a 32bit Windows OS with only 2gig Rqm is probably not helping much either: still on XP?
Message 6 of 9
MatthewB80097
in reply to: pendean

Ok .blipmode did the trick for that issue.

Classic mode automatic saves are selected but maybe there is a something in the boot up routine which overides it

Have been running with Hardware Accelearation off since it having it installed

We run XP Pro Smiley Embarassed

Hopefully though they are rolling out Win 7 soon and I have requested an upgrade to 64 bit since I have 8GB of ram - but cannot use all of it!

Message 7 of 9
kentr8

blips are still around? who knew
Message 8 of 9
nestly2
in reply to: kentr8

kentr8 wrote:
blips are still around? who knew

Actually they were removed (technically not removed, only undefined) in AutoCAD2012.  Since the OP is using 2013, someone/something either redefined BLIPMODE, or it was somehow migrated forward from a previous release.

Message 9 of 9
braudpat

Hello

You were speaking about >>> Also I have had numerous crashes with this software, is this common ? <<<

And now you say that BLIPMODE is the solution and everything is OK !

BLIPMODE = ON is only a minor graphic problem, does it crash less with BLIPMODE = OFF ??

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost