Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autocad 2013 file wont open

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
600 Views, 4 Replies

autocad 2013 file wont open

so i recently started taking an architect autocad class. our first project was nothing special but for some reason whenever i save it on my removeable usb after working on it at home, it wont open on the schools computer. it doesnt open as the specific file i wanted, but instead it opens up a blank file named drawing1.dwg. the file name does not even come up at the top of the screen. anything would help. thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com !

Is your school's AutoCAD also version 2013 or 2014? If it's older you can't get it opened as the file format is not compatible, but in that case you should get a infobox saying that the file can't be opened.

Another ideas:

- did you save the drawing directly to the USB-device (so AutoCAD saved it to the USB) or have you saved to your local harddisk and then copied to USB using Windows explorer?

- did you just pull out the USB-device from the plug or did you first start the remove-device on your desktop?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
jggerth

will the drawing open up if you use the OPEN command from within AutoCAD instead of double-clicking on the dwg icon in windows?

Generally speaking, you will ALWAYS get more reliable results by starting Acad up _first_ and then opening a drawing using the tools in Acad.

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman

Are you using AutoCAD, or AutoCAD Architectural?  There are subtle but important differences between the programs.

Product-specific board here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Architecture/ct-p/56

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
JDMather

If you can't figure out all of this - attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost