Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Cad project

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
246 Views, 2 Replies

Auto Cad project

Ok,so i have been set a project of updating all site drawing and my knowledge of autocad is basic. I have however been reading up on Xref's and the argument over which is best attachment or overlay.

My idea is to Create 3-4 drawings of our site, (grounds and boundries, Traffic ways, the building as a shell, incoming services) I would have these all as Xrefs but as an overlay? i already have these drawings but they are in mechanical, should i move them to Architect? I know theres no difference but i was thinking of keeoping all building drawingas architect and then all eqquipmrnt in mechanical. keeping a standard.

I would then add further xrefs as overlays ( mezzanine floor, 1st & 2nd floor, services (water mains, gas mains compressed air mains and elec mains)). These xrefs would then be used in mechanical and all equipment and machinery would be inserted as blocks.

Basically how would you set this file up in an ideal world? if there is one..

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

aharri40 wrote:

I have however been reading up on Xref's and the argument over which is best attachment or overlay.

I'm not sure how a debate exists, they are different things for different purposes.

If drawing "X" is xref type 'attach' in drawing "Y", then "Y" is xrefed into "Z", you'll be able to see "X" in "Z"

If drawing "X" is xref type 'overlay' in drawing "Y", then "Y" is xrefed into "Z", you will NOT see "X" in "Z"

Read more about it here

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 3
thisispreston
in reply to: Anonymous

As said above, there shouldn't be an argument as they are for two different purposes.

If you only want an Xref to exist in the model you are using, then Overlay is fine, but as soon as you try to Xref that model into another, it will not bring Overlays with it. I generally just go with attachment all the time, except for things like sheet layouts, that you won't want visible if you Xref the model into another. But this is by no means best practice, it really depends on what your trying to achieve.

-----------------------------------------------
"music is my religion" - Jimi Hendrix

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost