AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
critterman
Message 1 of 14 (1,048 Views)
Accepted Solution

Attributes won't show in XREF

1048 Views, 13 Replies
02-05-2013 10:37 AM

I have an drawing that is loaded with attributed blocks.  Nothing but text.  When I XREF this into another drawing, none of the text shows.  Layers are on, nothing is set to invisible.  

I think this drawing is from an older version of AutoCAD, would that be the problem?

If you know the fix, I'd appreciate the help.

TK

My assumption was that the OP received the drawing from someone else and was just looking to make it workable.

If I'm wrong, then you're right -- it'd be better to re-create the attributed information properly, in their own blocks...OR to make a temporary block with all the attributes and use BURST to get back to text, depending on the desired outcome.

Mentor
KateMorrical
Message 2 of 14 (1,045 Views)

Re: Attributes won't show in XREF

02-05-2013 10:39 AM in reply to: critterman

Are the attributes contained in block definitons, or are they floating around on their own? In the second case, they won't  show up when xrefed. Put them in a block definiton if you need them to be visible when referenced.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager
Washington, DC
BIMmuse.com
Contributor
critterman
Message 3 of 14 (1,041 Views)

02-05-2013 10:43 AM in reply to: KateMorrical

I'm sure I understand what you mean.  I've never done that so it's a new process to me.

If I were to try and edit the attributes, it brings up their Attribute definition window, so I assume that means that they are not part of a block.  So how do I make them part of a block without loosing the text information that they are providing?

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 4 of 14 (1,024 Views)

02-05-2013 11:37 AM in reply to: critterman

The fact the xreffed file is from an older version is not relevant.

Attributed blocks will only work the way (I think) you want when they are "fully" inserted (unexploded) into a dwg.

As KateMorrical noted, if they are behaving as you describe, they must be "floating around on their own" in the xreffed dwg.  In other words, your "drawing that is loaded with attributed blocks" must not have actual "inserts" of those blocks, with attributes set to specific values - just attributes, unassociated with inserts of block definitions.

If you want the value of an attribute to show when a drawing is xreffed into another, there must be a block insert containing the attribute, and set to a value.  If the attributes are "loose" they will be blank when the dwg is xreffed, just as you have experienced.

I hope this helps...

Contributor
critterman
Message 5 of 14 (1,018 Views)

02-05-2013 11:56 AM in reply to: dmfrazier

Sadly there is no block in the drawing that might contain those attributes.  No blocks at all in fact.

Mentor
KateMorrical
Message 6 of 14 (1,015 Views)

02-05-2013 12:03 PM in reply to: critterman

Well then, you'll have to make one. :-) Insert tab, Create.

This will result in the display of whatever's in the Default field -- if you need the tag info, you'll have to put that in yourself.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager
Washington, DC
BIMmuse.com
**Master
dmfrazier
Message 7 of 14 (1,009 Views)

02-05-2013 12:25 PM in reply to: critterman

Perhaps xreffing the file into another dwg is not the right approach.  (What were you hoping to accomplish by xreffing?)

If you do a true "insert" (unexploded) of that dwg into another dwg, it will become an attributed block (insert) in that other dwg.  Maybe this is what you were after(?). 

Contributor
critterman
Message 8 of 14 (1,008 Views)

02-05-2013 12:25 PM in reply to: KateMorrical

So I've got 194 block-less attributes in this drawing.  So basically you're telling me that I will have to create a block from one of these and re-insert all 194 AND re-enter all the data?  

I was afraid of that

Contributor
critterman
Message 9 of 14 (1,006 Views)

02-05-2013 12:27 PM in reply to: dmfrazier

No this is a XREF that will serve a few drawings.  So updating it once will satisfy the other drawings as well.  If it's a block I'll have insert into each drawing and re-do it each time there is a change.

Thanks.

Mentor
KateMorrical
Message 10 of 14 (1,002 Views)

02-05-2013 12:33 PM in reply to: critterman

Blocks can contain more than one attribute. So you can grab them all at once (QSELECT would be my method here), and create a single block from all your orphaned attributes.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager
Washington, DC
BIMmuse.com
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!