AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 1 of 5 (2,292 Views)
Accepted Solution

Attribute text not displaying

2292 Views, 4 Replies
12-27-2012 03:15 PM

Hello - I have a client with an issue I cannot figure out...

They have one file xrefed into another but the text is not showing up. It is a block and the text is an attribute - but it is exploded.

I have attached 2 images - the first one - of the original file the second - where it is xrefed into another file with the text missing.

Any thoughts??

LD 

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com

Attribute definitions (outside of blocks) don't show up when their host file is xrefed. They have to be part of a block definition to be visible.

A fix I saw suggested on another forum is to make a temporary block from the attributes and then use BURST to convert them to text.

Mentor
grimline
Message 2 of 5 (2,278 Views)

Re: Attribute text not displaying

12-27-2012 07:56 PM in reply to: LisaDrago

What if they "BURST" instead of exploding the attribute?

Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2015
Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 3 of 5 (2,261 Views)

12-27-2012 10:44 PM in reply to: LisaDrago

Hi,

>> It is a block and the text is an attribute - but it is exploded

That might be the source of the problem as some people try to use attribute-definitions to place text within a drawing. The bad thing is that it works, they can start ATTDEF, and write the text .... but this written text is then the name of the attribute-definition.

As long as you leave the object like it is it looks like a text-info, but (and now the bad way starts) don't use this drawing with that attribute-definitions within any other drawing. In case of e.g. _INSERT this drawing into anohter one the attribute-definitions are part of the inserted block, but then they show up the values of the attribute ==> and the values are empty, the name of the attribute is not any more written down like a text. (hope that is clear described).

Either you have a tool that converts attribute-definitions to text-objects or you don't insert this drawing into any other one .... or you tell the guy who used attribute-definitions instead of text that he/she has to repair that.

HTH, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mentor
KateMorrical
Message 4 of 5 (2,249 Views)

12-28-2012 09:29 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

Attribute definitions (outside of blocks) don't show up when their host file is xrefed. They have to be part of a block definition to be visible.

A fix I saw suggested on another forum is to make a temporary block from the attributes and then use BURST to convert them to text.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager
Washington, DC
BIMmuse.com
*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 5 of 5 (2,241 Views)

12-28-2012 09:38 AM in reply to: KateMorrical

I had trued just the burst and that did not work - creating a tempoary block and bursting that worked.

Thank you all for your help!

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!