arrow setup in dimstyle's window "symbel and arrows"

321 Views, 6 Replies
02-28-2013 02:25 AM

Contributor
sparkscq90
Message 2 of 7 (320 Views)

Re: arrow setup in dimstyle's window "symbel and arrows"

02-28-2013 02:32 AM in reply to: sparkscq90

I have been able to set up my drawing template the way I want it except for adding arrows.  I just don't understand the sysbols and arrow pallet.  I would like to inclue arrows in my demensions how do I format them. Any help with be appreciated.

Distinguished Mentor
steve216586
Message 3 of 7 (304 Views)

02-28-2013 06:04 AM in reply to: sparkscq90

What are you having problems with?  What size to make the arrows?  Please explain further your difficulty.

Contributor
sparkscq90
Message 4 of 7 (298 Views)

02-28-2013 07:09 AM in reply to: steve216586

First I will show how I setup my drawubg tenokate,

1. FIRST set the UNITS to architectural. (UNITS <enter>, pick "architectural") then click ok
  2. type DIMSTYLE<enter> then pick the MODIFY button,

go to the Primary Units tab and set the Unit Format to "architectural". Will try to add attachement.

3.Click “symbols and arrows”, set size to .100 .  Then I don’t understand how to use those three bars waiting for something to be typed in them. I would like arrow heads preferably black. Will try to add picture.

4. DIMSCALE<enter> 36 <enter> so that all arrowheads, etc are 48 times oversize. (They'll be 1/8th when plotted in 1/48th scale

5. LIMITS<enter> 0,0 <enter> 48',36' <enter>

6. . GRID<enter> 2'<enter>

7.  SNAP<enter>6<enter>

8. Lastly, save that as your template , choose a name

Distinguished Mentor
steve216586
Message 5 of 7 (290 Views)

02-28-2013 07:50 AM in reply to: sparkscq90

3. Leave the three bars to read, "Closed Filled" for solid arrows on both ends of dimensions and at the end of leaders.  Also if you want your arrows to be 1/8th at 1/48th scale the size should be 0.125x48=6 with a DIMSCALE =1.000.  Or if you are going to change DIMSCALE to use an "overall scale of" 48, leave them at 0.125.  The color is controlled by the layer you place the dimensions onto.

4. I don't know why you change the DIMSCALE like you did???  DIMSCALE should be set to your viewport scale or a scale of 1.  NEVER ANYTHING ELSE!!!  You should NEVER have to change the DIMSCALE to something other than what scale you want to plot to in order to "Fudge" the dimensions to print correctly.  In other words, your dimension scale should match your viewport scale.  Or if you dimension in paperspace, Dimscale should be set to 1.  Your dimension style settings control the size of all your dimension aspects.  This should never be the case - viewport scale=48 and dimscale=36.  That is crazy!! 

I think the settings for your dimensions should always match how you want them to appear once plotted on paper.  Then you can dimension at 1:1 in paperspace, use annotative dimensions or change the DIMSCALE to match viewport scale and NEVER have to alter those settings.  What is the purpose of a template anyway?  To have the settings set prior to opening and so everyone is using the same settings, correct?

5, 6, 7, 8 are fine.

I personally always dimensioned in paperspace @1:1 scale until a few months ago when I watched this short video on "Annotative" dimensions.  Its a little more than 4 minutes long and very descriptive.  Now I am a huge proponent for using Annotative dimensions.  You really only need one dimension style for any scale and all scales of your viewports even on the same sheet.  It would be well worth a few minutes to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEdFeR6YE4

Good luck!

Contributor
sparkscq90
Message 6 of 7 (269 Views)

03-01-2013 04:10 AM in reply to: sparkscq90

Steve,

Yesterday you shook me up, this is not a complaint, I just thought I was doing better than seems to be the case. I hope you will bear with me as my mentor.  I would like you to know more about me which might make it easir to tailor your answers to my needs.  Is it okay if I write a couple of paragraphs in here about myself starting with the fact I will turn 90 in July?  Is there any chance I could        e-mail you directly?  

Looking forward to having you as my mentor.

Gene L

Distinguished Mentor
steve216586
Message 7 of 7 (264 Views)

03-01-2013 05:45 AM in reply to: sparkscq90

If you watch the video on the link provided yesterday it would provide you with more direction on this topic, in that short time, than I could offer.  The guy who produced the video is a professional.  I am not.  I'm truly sorry but I'm not the one you should be looking towards as a mentor.  I merely pointed out an error which is often made with scaling and dimensions.  I tried to answer as best I could how to adjust the settings so there would be uniformity and ease of use, when scaling plotted prints.  That is the best I can offer at this time.  Best of luck.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!