Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any command alias that has more than one letter starts the wrong command.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
grumpychick
1968 Views, 13 Replies

Any command alias that has more than one letter starts the wrong command.

OK... first off I did a search for things similar and the closest thing I could come up with is something to do with Autocomplete.... But even with Autocomplete OFF it still happens so I wondered if one of you could help me out.

any command more than one letter long has a 75% chance of starting an incorrect command.

MA (match) = M (move)

CO (copy) = C (circle)

EX (extend) = E (erase)   {that's always a fun one}

Cant think of the others offhand but I'm sure there are many more.  Anyway to fix this?  I ~DO~ use my right mouse button for enter (which I understand is the most prevalant way that might cause this to happen) but I ~DO NOT~ want to switch to Spacebar or Enter... it would just be inneficient for me and would slow me down so much that I might as well just stick with what I'm doing.  I actually SEE the MA on screen and after I hit enter it decides "nope, I wanna use M instead".

What does help is if I wait a sec or so after entering the second letter and then it almost always gives me the right command... Has Autocad just gotten that slow that it cant compute fast enough for a fairly average speed typer?

Autocad 2013 (new user)... last verston of Autocad I used was 2008 which ended about a month ago.  Other than that, most of the changes have been pretty cool.  But this is driving me nuts!

Thanks for any help.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

@grumpychick wrote:

I ~DO~ use my right mouse button for enter (which I understand is the most prevalant way that might cause this to happen) but I ~DO NOT~ want to switch to Spacebar or Enter... it would just be inneficient for me and would slow me down so much that I might as well just stick with what I'm doing

Yep, everyone who's reported this also uses right-click-as-enter. Why don't you want to use the spacebar? Isn't your left hand on the keyboard anyway, making it an easy hop to the spacebar with the thumb? It can't slow you down more than waiting for the right-click to catch up...

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 3 of 14

Just 14-15 years of doing it that way I suppose.  Old habbits are hard to break, especially when there seems to be no "good" reason to have had to break this one.  Its not like something magical had been invented to make the right mouse button obsolete.  There was just a weird yet incostistant change for no real reason. 

Also I have relatively small hands, so it makes it quicker to stretch for keys accross the keyboard and quickly tap the right mouse button instead of then having to have my thumb find the space bar again after it has had to move off of it to reach a key.

Message 4 of 14
pendean
in reply to: grumpychick

Turn Dynmode off, or use the keyboard: tough choices for many, but these two solutions work all the time.
Message 5 of 14
dbroad

Have you tried controlling this with the new INPUTSEARCHOPTIONS command?

I think what you may want to turn off is the autocorrect feature or delay the autocomplete or search features.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 6 of 14
GrantsPirate
in reply to: dbroad

I am seeing this problem in 2014 and never had it in 2013, and I don't use the mouse for enter, I always the space bar.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 7 of 14
tbennett

Can't teach an old dog new tricks?  Well if you ever want to learn a "better" way, these are my rules for efficiency:

Most (almost all) hot-keys should be one or two letters.

All hot-keys should be on the left hand side of the keyboard (or opposite your mouse hand).  I.e. XT = Extend, EX = Explode.

Of course, it doesn't answer your question.  Have you tried swearing?

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 8 of 14
grumpychick

nope I hadnt.  Didnt know to try... will try tomorrow and see what it does

Message 9 of 14
grumpychick
in reply to: dbroad

nope... will try that tomorrow as well havent used the autodesk discussion groups in years... didnt realize that my last post didnt directly respond to the person I posted it to)... hope this one does... either way I'll try INPUTSEARCHOPTIONS and turning DYNMODE off tomorrow and see what they lead me to.

thanks.
Message 10 of 14
tbennett

Glad you responded again.  I was hoping no one took the "swearing" thing seriously.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 11 of 14
jggerth1
in reply to: tbennett

@tbennett wrote:

Glad you responded again.  I was hoping no one took the "swearing" thing seriously.

Well, it can't hurt to try.....

Message 12 of 14
grumpychick
in reply to: tbennett

turning DYNMODE off seems to be the most acceptable solution.  (while not "needed" its also more what I'm used to if I also turn off AUTOCOMPLETE, as leaving it  on sometimes creates a lil "hiccup" of having to hit enter more than once)

not a perfect fix, but more than good enough for me.

thanks

Message 13 of 14
JackGill

I'm having the same problem with 2014. I use the spacebar for enter and dynmode is off.  What seems to be working SO FAR is to change the value of INPUTSEARCHDELAY from the default of 300 up to 600.  Only just changed it an hour ago, so I'm not sure yet if it's cured.

Message 14 of 14
GrantsPirate

I have the same problem with 2014 and even turning off all the recommended settings it was still doing it.  I have abandoned 2014 for now and back to using 2013, there wasn't much compelling about 2014 anyway.  I can have autocomplete and DYNmode on in 2013 without any problems.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost