Did you mean: 

Another Way to Deselect?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
4204 Views, 16 Replies

Another Way to Deselect?

Is there another way to deselct an object beside Shift+Click?

I have Raster Design and I like being able to select an image with Shift+Click but now I can't deselect.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
ampster401
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't recall the specific's, but this is a known bug or issue.

Raster Design forum;

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-raster-design-general/bd-p/134

Message 3 of 17
rkmcswain

At the "select objects" prompt, type in "r", then enter. The prompt will change to "remove objects", and now you can select objects to remove. To get back to the "select objects" prompt type in "a", then enter.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 17
rkmcswain
in reply to: ampster401

ampster wrote:

I don't recall the specific's, but this is a known bug or issue.

An issue maybe, but not a bug.  RD and/or MAP have different defaults for this key combo, but you can easily disable it.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks guys but 'r' gives me redraw...

@rkmcswain wrote:

An issue maybe, but not a bug.  RD and/or MAP have different defaults for this key combo, but you can easily disable it.

But then I would not be able to select images using Shift+click.

Message 6 of 17
M_Hensley

R and A only work when you issue the command first then see the "select objects" prompt. If you are selecting objects first then the command they won't work.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: M_Hensley

Oic, I had selected some objects and assumed... Smiley Frustrated

I really need to deselect at all times, including when I just select objects without a command. I often need to copy objects to another layer.

Message 8 of 17
pendean

Post in the correct forum for your products might get you other answers: as a general rule in plain AutoCAD and most Windows apps tapping the ESC button on your keyboard cancels/deselects objects without a command active.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

This is the correct forum and if I press escape then everything will be deselected and I will have to start again, which I have to say is very frustrating, and I know, as that is the way I have had to do it.

Message 10 of 17
pendean

Basic AutoCAD 101:
- while in a command, type R then deselect, type A to start adding objects.
- if no running command, ESC twice deselects everything. If you only need to deselect a few hold the SHIFT key down and click on those objects that you don't want.
- if you want another solution, you need to write a lisp that identifies what objects to drop.
- you may find SELECTSIMILAR a better method to select those objects you need in the first place.
- if you have an add on like RASTERDESIGN this is the wrong forum.

If you have a question about copying to other layers consider starting another thread.
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Wow. If you read what I have replied to the answers given perhaps you won't have to waste time being critical. I understand how to use R and A but that is not what I want. I want to be able to deselect before entering a command.

I don't want SELECTSIMILAR as I want to be able to draw a box around things and simply deselect if I mistakenly include something I don't want. But thanks for that suggestion.

Whether copying to another layer or not is not the issue here. That was just an explanation for the person I was responding to. I can copy to layers just fine and have not actually asked for that here.

I could post this in RD but then I would get no response as it is quiet there and since I am not actually asking about RD but an alternative in ACAD, this is the correct forum.

Message 12 of 17
pendean

"...I want to be able to deselect before entering a command..."
- if no running command, ESC twice deselects everything. If you only need to deselect a few hold the SHIFT key down and click on those objects that you don't want.
- if you want another solution, you need to write a lisp that identifies what objects to drop.

Works both ways 🙂
Message 13 of 17
rkmcswain

pendean wrote:
If you only need to deselect a few hold the SHIFT key down and click on those objects that you don't want.

Please read thread title, post 1, and post 4 again.

Message 14 of 17
pendean
in reply to: rkmcswain

OP wrote (I'm not manually counting which reply it was in): "... I am not actually asking about RD but an alternative in ACAD,..."

Splitting hairs I know, but the OP insists that's RD is not relevant and this is the correct product forum: hence the correct product forum answer is repeated. So reply #4 and sentence #2 in reply #1 are off the table for the OP.
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

I don’t know what Raster Design is, but you may be able to “green window” and intentionally over-select some items.  Use Isolate in the mouse fly-out or the button on bottom right hand corner.  (Looks like a yellow light bulb) Grab items you don’t want and hide objects or isolate additional objects until only what you wanted to select originally is left. 

Manipulate what is left and end object isolation. (It will be an orange light bulb while command is active)

“Waste time being critical” LOL you noticed some of “expert elites” continual condescending replies too huh? 🙂 I jest, I have learned a lot from you expert elites.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I don’t know what Raster Design is, but you may be able to “green window” and intentionally over-select some items.  Use Isolate in the mouse fly-out or the button on bottom right hand corner.  (Looks like a yellow light bulb) Grab items you don’t want and hide objects or isolate additional objects until only what you wanted to select originally is left. 

Manipulate what is left and end object isolation. (It will be an orange light bulb while command is active)

“Waste time being critical” LOL you noticed some of “expert elites” continual condescending replies too huh? 🙂 I jest, I have learned a lot from you expert elites.

Thanks, I wrote a reply then reread your post. I will have to look into that!

If it doesn't work answer is that there is no other way unless I am running a command so I have disabled the Shift-Click image selection for now and will rather scroll to the edge of the image to select it as that is less of a pain.

Raster Designis a plugin-type thing that enables you to edit images and digitise form them within ACAD applications. But the idea you described should work the same regardless. It was just that it took over my usual Shift+Click action.

This was the first time to be honest; usually I have learned a lot from people answering my actual question and wanting to be helpful rather than right.

Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

tq1918 that is really cool, thanks. It will actually help when I have so many things selected and just one mistake 🙂

Not as quick as Shift+Click so I will have to leave that disabled in RD options but fantastic nonetheless.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost