AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Mentor
nrz13
Message 1 of 10 (3,224 Views)
Accepted Solution

Another AutoCAD 2014 Memory Leak?

3224 Views, 9 Replies
04-15-2013 05:00 PM

I've been using AutoCAD 2014 for a couple of weeks now and I've noticed what appears to be a memory leak under normal use (not related to the Reality Capture Memory Leak that there's already a hotfix for).  At the start of each day, AutoCAD uses about 0.25GB of RAM, but by the end of each day, with zero drawings open, memory for acad.exe is over 1GB usage.  If I close the program and reopen it at any point in the day, it goes back to around 0.25GB.

This sure seems like a memory leak to me.  Or am I missing something?  I've never really tracked memory usage in other versions before, but I don't remember it happening in AutoCAD 2012.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
System specs: AutoCAD 2015 64-bit SP2, Windows 7 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i7-2600K, 16GB RAM, Crucial M4 SSD, AMD FirePro V4900, 2 Dell Monitors (2560x1600)

That small amount is readily attributeable to standard program behavior of caching frequently used information so it doesn't have to be searched for again, and again, and again.  For example, demand-loading AutoCAD functions like MTEXT and object enablers are loaded into the program, not the document; closing documents won't change the amount of memory they are occupying while closing the program does.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 10 (3,192 Views)

Re: Another AutoCAD 2014 Memory Leak?

04-15-2013 11:35 PM in reply to: nrz13

Hi,

>> If I close the program and reopen it at any point in the day, it goes back to around 0.25GB

One of my ground rules when running any software that uses a lot of memory and that opens and closes data ==> restart it every 2 to 3 hours. That's nothing new and that has nothing to do with AutoCAD, that's how Windows acts. There is a fragmentation in memory the same way as it is for harddisks. And some of the fragments can't be freed without closing the application.

I don't understand, why we have the AutoCAD application open the whole day. It's like having the motor of a car running while you go shopping (AutoCAD running while you are going to have a lunch).

To compare how different we use softtware: have you opened MS-Word or MS-Excel the whole day? Most users close MS-Word when they close a document, they close MS-Excel when they close their table ... .but no, we don't do that with AutoCAD, AutoCAD has to stay open ... why???

(sorry that I speak now about "most users", maybe you are acting different, but that's the experience I have supporting users about 30 years now).

So close AutoCAD every 2-3 hours and you will recognize that it is then faster then before :smileywink:

And Autodesk can't do anything against it, at least it's demand-loaded modules that don't get loaded during start, but anytime when needed during work (that can't be unloaded) and there are fragments in memory, that's Windows.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
braudpat
Message 3 of 10 (3,188 Views)

04-16-2013 12:21 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hello from France

AutoCAD has "many memory leaks" as any other software ...

As soon as you have 1/2 mn available and if you can leave ACAD,

please leave , wait 1 mn and reload "ACAD.exe" !

AutoCAD (32 bits version - any version LT/MAP/CIVIL/AA/MEP/etc - any release 20xx) has a memory limit

at about 1.3 Gb used by "ACAD.exe" (32 bits)

even if you have yet hundred of Mb avaliable for Windows programs ...

AutoCAD (64 bits version)  has not yet reach a limit ...  as far as I know (in France)

Some people are running ACAD 64 bits on PCs with 32 Gb memory and load huge 2D/3D DWGs ...

The 64 bits version has some memory leaks TOO but we are much less concerned !

Even with the 64 bits version, you must leave AutoCAD sometimes and re-load ...

Bye, Pat

Bye, Pat ( Supporting Troops )
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Compliment) - Thanks
Distinguished Mentor
nrz13
Message 4 of 10 (3,162 Views)

04-16-2013 05:12 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for the info, Alfred.  I hadn't noticed the memory issue until 2014 and I saw that they had already fixed one memory leak, so I thought there may have been another fixable one.

I have Word and Excel open all day long as well and don't experience a memory leak there, or maybe it's so small it's not noticeable.  Or maybe it's because I'm not opening as many additional documents.  But I can tell you why people leave AutoCAD open all day:  it takes a lot longer to load back up (even when it's in memory) than either Word or Excel, which should be instantaneous to open on modern hardware.

As for me personally, I'm not worried about 1GB of memory being taken up; I have plenty.  My post was more out of curiosity and a desire to have bugs fixed.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
System specs: AutoCAD 2015 64-bit SP2, Windows 7 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i7-2600K, 16GB RAM, Crucial M4 SSD, AMD FirePro V4900, 2 Dell Monitors (2560x1600)
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 5 of 10 (3,155 Views)

04-16-2013 05:38 AM in reply to: nrz13

Hi,

>> But I can tell you why people leave AutoCAD open all day:  it takes a lot longer

>> to load back up (even when it's in memory) than either Word or Excel

But then it's faster, it may take 2 minutes for quit and restart, but then every task that needs memory is real faster.

Years ago (processor =  486) I had done some work to create a land-use plan. The manual work was to have GIS-like polygons and an application with functions like split, merge, new, reassign (type of usage of an area plus some additional attributes), ... and the lot of time was then to run the recreation of the graphical representations, so how it each polygon filled, maybe a band around the border, some annotations ... and that for thousands of objects (closed polylines with sometimes 100's of vertices).

Anyway: the process of calculating all the visual things needed about 30min (and that was not done only once a day). I shut down AutoCAD (plus the workstation), restarted it, started AutoCAD, loaded the DWG and let the application rerun the process for visual representation ==> it was done in two and a half minutes.

I know that this was the very past, processors are now faster, memory is faster so also the difference may not be 10:1 or so, but depending on the job to do a win-factor of 2:1 or 3:1 is possible.

At least, make your own experience, I guess, if you restart your AutoCAD after your lunch, you'll feel a quicker responisibility.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 10 (3,155 Views)

04-16-2013 05:40 AM in reply to: nrz13

I too am one that never leaves a program open all day if I'm not actively using it, AutoCAD or not, and I discourage it with fellow PC users here in our office: but as others noted, memory leaks are not unique to R2014 (or AutoCAD) and it's always been best practice to at least restart it after you come back from lunch if you use the program all day.

By the way, I don't understand why everyone compares AutoCAD to MSOffice products when it comes to performance: like comparing a truck to a scooter... .

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Distinguished Mentor
nrz13
Message 7 of 10 (3,126 Views)

04-16-2013 07:11 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for the tips, guys!  I'll give it a shot and see if I notice anything.

I'm doubtful I will notice a difference in performance though.  We mostly do 2D work in our office and the only time my processor is maxed out (or I should say the 1/8 of it that AutoCAD can utilize) is when I do heavy hatching work.  If I remember, the next time I'm doing something like that towards the end of the day (where I haven't restarted the program), I'll try doing it and then, without saving, exit AutoCAD and try it again to see if restarting the program makes a difference performance-wise.

Anyway, thanks again.  It's always good to learn something new.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 8 of 10 (3,104 Views)

04-16-2013 08:14 AM in reply to: nrz13

That small amount is readily attributeable to standard program behavior of caching frequently used information so it doesn't have to be searched for again, and again, and again.  For example, demand-loading AutoCAD functions like MTEXT and object enablers are loaded into the program, not the document; closing documents won't change the amount of memory they are occupying while closing the program does.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Distinguished Mentor
nrz13
Message 9 of 10 (3,096 Views)

04-16-2013 08:49 AM in reply to: dgorsman

Dgorsman:

Thanks for explaining the "why" for me.  While Alfred and Dean had helpful suggestions to overcome the issue, your post really helped me understand what that memory was still being used for and why it would still use a lot of memory even with no drawings open.

JayShannon4371
Message 10 of 10 (2,861 Views)

06-17-2013 12:24 PM in reply to: nrz13

Yes, I too am bad about leaving programs running.  AutoCAD and Acrobat on my CAD PC and really large Excel files that take a while to open on the other PC.  However, with 8GB of RAM I have not had as much of an issue with 2013 as I now have with 2014.  Maybe there are communications going on in the background of 2014 that I had not agreed to when I installed 2013.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.