Did you mean: 

Annotative text

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
blowout
991 Views, 7 Replies

Annotative text

I am trying to learn Annotative text using multiple viewports.  My question: I have text in Model space with Annotative scales to match two different viewports in layout space. Sometimes the text or dimensions for that matter appears in a different place in the two windows. What gives?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
nestly2
in reply to: blowout

Annotative objects can be displayed at different locations for each scale.  Being able to move them independantly is one of the great features of Annotative objects.  Most likely, you moved the one or more of the Annotative texts from it's original location.

Simply move the annotative objects where you want them, or select the annotative text that is where you want the "home" location to be, then choose "Sychronize Multiple Scale Positions" from the right click menu. Just remember whichever scale is active is where the all the other scales will "sychronize" with.

Here's a demo I made a couple of years ago for a similar question  http://www.screencast.com/t/Yx2MeSbO

Message 3 of 8
blowout
in reply to: nestly2

That was great!! I'll haveto play raound some more to get it commited to memory, but thanx a million!

Message 4 of 8
rkmcswain

Another thing that can help is to only assign necessary scales to objects. Don't leave ANNOAUTOSCALE enabled and change display scales needlessly.

Also, try locking the viewports and working in them while in the layout so you are more in a WYSIWYG environment.

I prefer that ANNOALLVISIBLE be set to 0 too.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 8
blowout
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks again.. I have been working in a locked viewport as much as possible.  that brings another question: can you hide text or dimensions from viewport to viewport? I have certain text or dimensions I use in a view that's scaled up sometimes that don't want to really se in other viewports.

Message 6 of 8
mathewkol

Sure text can be hidden, but only in viewports with different scales. If you have 2 viewports of the same scale, you'll have to use layers to manage their visibility.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 8
rkmcswain

@blowout wrote:

can you hide text or dimensions from viewport to viewport? I have certain text or dimensions I use in a view that's scaled up sometimes that don't want to really se in other viewports.

Yes. You can add and remove annotative scales to/from annotative objects.

So if you have something that you only want to see in the 1:10 scale viewport, make sure 1:10 is the only annotative scale added to that object.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 8
dbroad
in reply to: rkmcswain

R.K.

Sorry, I accidentally hit "Accept as Solution" when trying to reply.  My mouse wasn't cooperating.

About Annoallvisible.  I have found that setting that to 0 can be a problem in paper space because of different names for the same scale, especially when xrefs are involved.  When I used to have AAV set off, I would sometimes end up plotting work and not notice the missing annotation until too late.  I have switched to keeping AAV on in paper space for that reason.  When I start having annotation show up that isn't supposed to show up, I'll switch back but that hasn't happened yet.

For those who like to keep it off, I would strongly suggest toggling it on and back off just before plotting to make sure they haven't overlooked any missing annotation elements.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost