Did you mean: 

Annotative Dimensions problems

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
elsvernimmen
1965 Views, 4 Replies

Annotative Dimensions problems

Hi,

I'm having some issues using annotative dimensions and text. My task is to draw several (quite simple) plans with dimensions. I would like to be able to use the same settings (dimstyles etc.) for each plan, but the problem is that the buildings often differ a lot in scale. So annotative dimensions and text seemed the best solution.

I've never used this feature before and it seems there must be something wrong in the settings I'm using because the objects keep on scaling when I change my viewport scale. I've read some posts on the forum but can't seem to find the problem...

I've uploaded the file in question as well. Suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: elsvernimmen

Without actually looking at the file, there are settings that appear on the lower right hand of your AutoCAD taskbar. They look like an Architect's/Engineer's scale viewed from the end. There are2 of them. play with those -- one will tell it to add scales every time you change viewport scales.

Another suggestion is to use HELP to read up about your system variables -- especially all that begin with ANNO....

You might also want to use HELP to read up all about annotation objects. Good luck to ye!

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 5
elsvernimmen
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Thanks for the tips!

I've already tried using the two buttons on the right, but turning them on or off doesn't seem to solve the problem. So I checked my system variables like you said:

ANNOALLVISIBLE       1

ANNOAUTOSCALE     -4

ANNOTATIVEDWG     0

Seems right to me, or am I wrong? Annotative scale is 1:1 in the whole document, so i don't think that's the problem either..

Message 4 of 5
kadmonkee8

maybe i am missing something in your question

the buildings vary in scale?

if the buidlings are drawn full scale 1:1 then this would not be an issue

do you mean shape and size?

also after looking at your dwg i see the viewport scale is not set to match you model space scale.

if you want to represent a particular scale in your printed file you need to set the paramerters in model space 1:1 viewport = 1:1

1:350 model space viewport = 1:350 then your annotative dimstyle will work as desired

change your model psace annotative scale factor to match your viewport to confirm the results

if the results are not good, you can adjust your dimension style settings 

Message 5 of 5
smbrennan

Patience is a virtue.

Not trying to insult or be condensending, but try slowing down. I often have users ask questions, and as they explain the problem or show me, I quickly find out that they weren't reading things all of the way through.

You are right, annotation scaling for text, dimensions, multi-leaders, etc is a very powerful and useful tool. It's just a matter or knowing how to control your visibility and object's scale list (using Add/Remove Scales).

Edit:

I just looked at your file. The general "rule of thumb" to follow when creating annotative objects (dim styles, blocks, text, etc.) is to size them to the size you want them to PLOT at. For example, I want all of my text to plot at 3/32" (2.3mm). I set the style for this. Then, assuming everything else is drawn 1:1, set your annotative scale to the scale your viewport is set to. Add your dimensions (or add the view port scale to your existing objects). The end result should result in your text all having the same paper text height while in different scales.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost