Did you mean: 

Annotative dimensions and text in viewports

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
nmcook1
2395 Views, 13 Replies

Annotative dimensions and text in viewports

I am looking for an easy step by step discussion or video on how to use annotative text and dimensions.  It seems like there are many set variables that a beginner needs to know and set in order for it to work.  For a start I would just like to be able to have dimensions in model space that will show up in two differently scaled viewports and have the text show as 3/32" high in paper space in both viewports.  One viewport scale is 3/16" = 1'-0" and the other is 1/8" = 1'-0".   I should also add that I am using the Autocad classic menu in Autocad 2015, not the ribbon.  I am not an Autocad beginner, just new to annotation.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
nestly2
in reply to: nmcook1

Here's a pretty decent video that covers most of the important parts.  As noted in the video, the key is to annotate through a scaled viewport so your annotations are assigned the correct annotative scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPP2dpzbMB4

Message 3 of 14
nmcook1
in reply to: nestly2

That is a good video.  What I tried to do was change existing dimensions to be anotative by checking the anotative box in the dimension style and also turning on annotation in the properties box for a single dimension.  I also gave that one dimension two scales.  None of that worked so maybe I need to do this from scratch like it was in the video.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 14
nestly2

You should be able to change both an existing dimstyle and an existing dimension as long as the existing dimensions are assigned the correct scale.

Attach a sample drawing if you like.

Message 5 of 14
nmcook1

The correct scale would be the same scale as the viewport, wouldn't it?
Message 6 of 14
nestly2

nmcook1 wrote:
The correct scale would be the same scale as the viewport, wouldn't it?

Yes, with the caveat that Annotative scaling use the scale name, not the actual scale.  In other words, 1:1 and 1'-0"=1'-0" are technically the same scale and both appear by default in an Imperial scale list, but if an object only has 1:1 assigned, it won't display if 1'-0'=1'-0" is picked from the list.  I'll also add that you must use the Annotative scale list for Annotative scaling to work.... you can't use the older methods to scale a viewport  (ie Zoom>nXP)

Message 7 of 14
nmcook1

This is so frustrating!  I'm sure it would work the way it does in the video if I were to start from scratch but all of my drawings are started from existing drawings and modified.  Also, in the video there were different dimemsions for the different viewports.  If I were to do that I would have to double dimension everything and I would be better off doing it the old way with different dim styles (dim48, dim96 etc.)  What I am trying to do is get the same dimensions to show at the correct height in 2 differently scaled viewports.  Is that possible?  

Message 8 of 14
nestly2

There aren't actually different dimension, it's just one dimension that has it's visibility and scale controlled by the VP scale.  It does the same thing that you've been doing manually with different dimstyles on different layers, but it does it automatically

Attach a sample drawing with a few existing dimensions that you'd like to make annotative and we'll help you get it sorted out.

Message 9 of 14
nmcook1

I attached the drawing I've been struggling with.  Two viewports, one set of dimensions.  What I want to do is have both viewports show 3/32" high text in paper space.  The one on the bottom already does.  The one on the top does not.  If you can tell me how to do that I'd appreciate it very much!  Thank you!

Message 10 of 14
nmcook1

I attached the drawing I've been struggling with.  Two viewports, one set of dimensions.  What I want to do is have both viewports show 3/32" high text in paper space.  The one on the bottom already does.  The one on the top does not.  If you can tell me how to do that I'd appreciate it very much!  Thank you!

Message 11 of 14
nestly2

You really only need to do 2 things in your drawing to make the existing dimensions work as proper annotative objects.

1) Change the DIMSCALE for all existing dimensions from "0" to '1"

2) Assign 1/8' = 1'-0" and 3/16' = 1'-0" to all existing dimensions

I should have some time later to make a video.

Message 12 of 14
nestly2

Here's a video... hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdA1BOc8EKI

Message 13 of 14
shavezkhan

hiii nestly sir
will you send me that you tube video link in which you explain how to delete annoautoscale object in one shot
thanks ,,,
Message 14 of 14
nmcook1

Thank you!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost