Did you mean: 

Adding fields in tables

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
nvm1988
1774 Views, 10 Replies

Adding fields in tables

Hi everyone,

Have an issue in adding area fields in a table. I'm working on a project and need to calculate the areas for different regions per floor and then sum them up at the end. I drew polylines per region and linked them to a field in the table. Now I'm trying to sum them up, but I get hashtags. Does anyone know how that can be fixed or have another way of doing what I'm doing?

Also, when I'm trying to copy an area field from one cell to another it gives me hashtags as well. Any way to fix it?

P-S: each level polylines can be accessed through the layerstates manager.

Thanks!!!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: nvm1988

You are saying there are fields in the table that are reporting the area within each polyline correctly, but the one field that contains the sum formula for the other fields is reporting pound signs? If it was Excel, that would be a sign to expand the column width (the number is larger than the column width)

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 11
dmfrazier

Check your table cell data type formats.

(Also, be sure FIELDEVAL = 31.)

Message 4 of 11
nvm1988
in reply to: dmfrazier

haha it's not because my number's too large. I tried making the cell bigger just for kicks and still doesn't help. The cell format is set to general and FIELDEVAL is set to 31. The table adds just numbers, but as soon as I put in the area with units, it stops working.

Message 5 of 11
jggerth1

well, yes,  it would quit working because the value is now a string, not a number.

"3 apples" plus "95 acres"  is not a valid arithmetic expression. neither is "3 sq ft" plus "9 sq ft".  Try formatting as a number, and don't display the units in your table

Message 6 of 11
dmfrazier

"The table adds just numbers, but as soon as I put in the area with units, it stops working."

When I open your file, all cells show numbers (followed by "SQ.FT."), with no #####s at all.  (This is what

made me think it might have something to do with your FIELDEVAL setting.)

Which column or cell(s) do you see "hashtags" in?

Also, regarding your copy question, if I copy one row of data cells to another unfilled row, the copied cells show #####s, but I discovered that this is because the formulas embedded in the Fields in each new cell contain missing object references ("The object referenced by the field is not a valid object").  I'm not sure why this happens (the objects appear to have been valid before).  If you copy just the Field from one cell to the other it seems to work okay.  But, oddly, now the "formula" has migrated from the Field into the cell. 

Message 7 of 11
nvm1988

If you look at the bottom of column B there should be hashtags there. What I did was selected the cell then pressed insert sum and selected B3:B12.

Message 8 of 11
dmfrazier

All I see at the bottom of column B is the word "AREA" (text in the cell).

However, if I do as you describe, I too get "hashtags".  This has to be due to the Data Type assigned to the cell and/or row/column format, which is set to Text. This property appears to be "locked" somehow, as I cannot change it on a per cell basis (I assume because it's defined in the Table Style, but I really haven't figured it out yet).

But, as JGerth suggested, try formatting all the data cells as Numeric and don't include the units ("SQ. FT.") in each cell (nor in the formulas embedded in the cells).  Just indicate the units as a note in the title or on each column header.

Message 9 of 11
IZZATFIKRI

000000000001.jpg

Refer to the cloud in the picture, why preview in table {\ fCentury Gothic | b0 | i0 | c0 | p34; \ C256; 13440000.00. I want is 13.44m². Is there another solution?

Message 10 of 11
dmfrazier
in reply to: IZZATFIKRI

It appears that the value in this cell has had special formatting added to it. Try adding a closing bracket ( } ) at the end of the string.

Message 11 of 11
IZZATFIKRI

THANK YOU, I CAN USE IT

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost