Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessible PDF's - hate em

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JamesMaeding
482 Views, 3 Replies

Accessible PDF's - hate em

We have clients asking us to "tag" pdfs.

To tag a pdf is the same thing as making a certified accessible pdf.

Many will have no idea what I am talking about, but there is an accessibility standard for pdfs, see:

http://www.commonlook.com/commonlook-software-services-and-training-for-accessible-pdf

Trust me, I do not sell commonlook but they have articles on that page.

The problem is many pdfs made from cad will fail the accessibility standard, so you cannot tag them.

You must convert the pdf to an image, then into a pdf, then tag.

That is insane when the whole idea was to make better pdfs, not heavy dumbed down ones.

I wonder if others out there are being required to tag their pdf's, and hope all pass the test.

Note that the people requiring us to tag the pdf's, could care less about accessibility.

They want to use commenting tools which happen to require the tags. What a mess of misunderstanding going on.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Never heard of such a thing, thankfully.

Message 3 of 4
dtiemeyer
in reply to: JamesMaeding

So this bit of fun business came my way today.   We were able to handle it with little additional pain. Basically, we print PDFs from Sheet Set Manager to the PDF driver supplied by Autodesk (PDF ePlot). Then, one of our Marketing people who has Acroplot Pro was able to batch-process those PDFs using the 'Accessibility' tools in Acroplot Pro. The resulting PDF's showed no errors (only some minor notifications) when run through the Accessibility checker, also in Acroplot Pro.  

The first 2 headings of this document were basically the process we followed, and we used all the default settings.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/create-verify-pdf-accessibility.html

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 4 of 4
JamesMaeding
in reply to: dtiemeyer

@dtiemeyer 

You got lucky. Do that long enough and some plots from acad cannot be tagged.
Its been so long since this came up for us. I think bluebeam does this tagging also.

I don't remember what my original post says, and can't see it as I write this due to good old bloated web forum format..

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost