Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acad2014 Caps Lock Zooming Glitch

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
804 Views, 11 Replies

Acad2014 Caps Lock Zooming Glitch

I have started trialling AutoCAD2014 and immediately found that trying to zoom with the scroll wheel on my mouse works fine normally, but when caps lock is on it simply doesnt work. It will still pan fine and will scroll when i use the wheel in conjunction with ctrl key but this is a major inconveniance.

Surely this is a glitch, not the intended functionality?

However none of this would be an issue if the 'AutoCAPS' function worked universally, not just in the MTEXT editor, as a lot of my work is done in attirbutes and single line text.

(and yes i have tried finding an 'all-caps' version of my font, but it is simply not available and SHX fonts are so difficult to edit)

Does anyone know a fix for this?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com!

CapsLock does not influence the mouse-wheel-zoom at all, so I guess it's either a special keyboard (-driver/-setting) or a special moues (-driver/-setting) or last but not least a defect AutoCAD profile.

If you login to your workstation with another Windows user-account and start AutoCAD to test the zoom again, does it work then?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I use a razer lycosa keyboard and razer mamba mouse, both with updated driver software and no special macros or funtions on standard buttons, with the mouse wheel set to operate as standard mouse wheel.

Although I never had this problem in previous versions of autoCAD (I have been using 2007 and 2010) with my hardware setup.

I am the sole user of my workstation and my account is the admin acc so i dont see why changing user account will effect this due to restrictions or the such.

Another user has suggested that pressing caps lock focuses the attention on the command line and that prevents the zooming action, looking into this i realise that this IS the case and after caps lock is pressed, scrolling then cycles through command history.

I have closed the command window and now when caps lock is enabled scroll zooming in model/paper space works fine but with the downside of not being able to see the command line.

I still think that having a 'autocaps' button that works for attribute text and single line text would be widely appreciated in the ACAD community after troubleshooting this problem and seeing how many people want this.

Thanks for your help Alfred.

Message 4 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Another user has suggested that pressing caps lock focuses the attention on the command line and that prevents the zooming action

PLUS when moving the mouse just a little bit re-enables the zooming by wheel.

Yes; I read that post and I'm wondering why it disappeared, because it's correct. I can reproduce that now and now I'm wondering why I never saw that or read about that. Well, I don't use CapsLock that often, at least I never use it without having anything active that forces me to type text (and maybe I give my mouse has no time to rest). But yes, reproducable.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

When i move my mouse to re-focus on the model space, this doesnt seem to work. I have tried moving the mouse, panning the drawing then zooming and clicking in the model space before drawing however no luck.

I use annotative text extensively when drawing (electrical schematics) and all text must be in capitols for readability/clarity and thought this was a bit of standard across all technical drawing disciplines.

Hiding the command line is working for me for now, and isnt a major inconvenience so life goes on.

It's just strange that this has changed since there was no problem in previous versions.

Message 6 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> When i move my mouse to re-focus on the model space, this doesnt seem to work

Ok, then  we have to catch the differences: I tried that:

a) without any active command

b) mouse position is in the graphics area

c) press CapsLock

d) turning mouse-wheel does not zoom

e) move the mouse just a pixel on the screen

f) mouse-wheel zoom is back and working.

Any differences to your test?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

I did the same routine as you but didnt achieve restored scroll zooming.

I tired this method a few times with varying degrees of mouse movement;

1. one pixel

2. a few pixels

3. a wide arc across the drawing area

4. selecting an drawings object before scrolling

5. starting a new line command before scrolling

6. and just clicking in the drawing area before scrolling.

Each time no result until i disabled caps lock again.

Message 8 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

are you on a dual screen environment? If so you can try to run AutoCAD (at least only to test this issue) on the other screen (plus restart it).

Also a difference might be:

a) is the application window maximized? (try both states)

b) do you have hardware acceleration activated (try both states using command _3DCONFIG ==> manual tune)

BTW: what graphic card do you have?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

I have tried it in both maximised and windowed mode, also moved ACAD to the second screen and closed it, then restarted ACAD and ran the same tests.

I have tried with hardware acceration on, and various setting changes in that accerleration dialouge box, and no result.

I dont use hardware acceration as standard because all my work is in 2D model space and I never have performance issues.

Graphics card is Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 with up-to-date drivers.

Message 10 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

sorry, for now I don't have any more ideas ...

Hopefully there are others coming with some ideas/tests!

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

All good, cheers Alfred.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Does anyone have a fix for this yet? I have the exact same problem - and despite using AutoCaps am always running into it what with one thing and another...

I mean a fix for caps lock "breaking" the mouse wheel zoom in Autocad 2014. As has already been mentioned caps lock appears to make the command line dialog capture the mouse wheel - you can see the little grey "type a command" come and go as you scroll... One fix is to closen that dialog (ctrl-9) and just use the old F2 dialog which does not have the same problem.

However I don't want to have to use workarounds on my $$$$ piece of software!

thanks!

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost