Did you mean: 

ACAD 2014 and Educational Version plot stamp

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
durentech
8397 Views, 44 Replies

ACAD 2014 and Educational Version plot stamp

I recently was the unknowing recipient of a signature file for an engineer's stamp that was created using an Educational version of AutoCAD. When using 2014 you no longer get a message telling you that if you save the file a plot stamp will appear on the drawings saying it was produced using a non-commercial version of AutoCAD. I only realized my drawings contained this Educational version file after opening up one of my drawings in AutoCAD 2013. The general contractor requested my AutoCAD files for his use so this potentially would make me appear to have been the party that was working with a non-commercial version of AutoCAD which is completely false.

My advice to anyone using any file provided by another party is to first try to open it in a previous version, assuming you have a previous version on your computer. Once any file created using an Educational version of AutoCAD gets embedded into your AutoCAD 2014 drawing there is no way to get rid of the plot stamp once the drawing is opened and saved in 2013 or earlier. Imagine producing drawings for a multi-story building using AutoCAD 2014...huge files, many drawings...completing the project and then discovering your company appears to be using a non-commercial version of AutoCAD. Very embarassing to say the least.

Please fix this ASAP, Autodesk, so this doesn't happen to other unsuspecting users. I would attach the file that caused my problems but my client's signature is on that file.  

44 REPLIES 44
Message 21 of 45
Shawn_Niles
in reply to: maxim_k

The educational plot stamp has been a part of the Educational version of AutoCAD for a long time. It was meant to prevent commercial use being done with an educational version of the product. Recently, a decision was made to no longer show this stamp, even on files created with the EDU version. Starting with the installation of SP1 for the 2014 products, files will no longer show the stamp when plotting, nor will they give a warning message when opening them. However, the stamp is still attached to the file even though it is not showing.

So yes, the danger is that someone with 2014 SP1 could open a file and work on it without realizing it has the educational stamp on it. If they then send that to someone without SP1, or on an earlier version, that user will see the warning and the stamp. At this time, using 2014 with SP1 will still propagate the stamp to other drawings, as in the past. The current plan (and please keep in mind that this could change), but the current plan is that the 2015 version will have the ability to remove the stamp altogether if a Save is performed. You'd then be able to save a file in 2015, and send it back to users on earlier versions, and the stamp will be gone altogether. More information will be provided on this as we go on as to what the final implementation will be.

Please see the link below for additional information:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17886605&linkID=9240617

Shawn Niles
Message 22 of 45
durentech
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

Thanks so much for clearing this up, Shawn. You provided excellent product support on this issue when I created my recent support request. I'm glad the others could hear this directly from you rather than from my recollection. Hope I didn't misquote you in any way.

Message 23 of 45
Shawn_Niles
in reply to: durentech

No problem at all. I do hope it helps to clear it up somewhat as to the direction Autodesk is going on this issue.

Shawn Niles
Message 24 of 45
dgorsman

Seems reasonable, but there are several questions which spring directly to mind.

Whats to tell us that a contractor, vendor, or other drawing provider is running "bootleg" educational software to artifically lower their prices?  While we have every intention of remaining legal, whats to prevent us from being undercut by less legitimate operations?

Whats to prevent less educated or scrupulous employees from taking work home and using an educational version?

If we end up with an office full of EDU content drawings with no way of detecting them, what risks do we face from an AutoDesk audit which subsequently detects them?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 25 of 45
nestly2
in reply to: dgorsman

Yeah, this is a bit disturbing from a competitive perspective, but also from the standpoint where someone could unwittingly infect commercial drawings with the EDU designator.  If Autodesk is going to remove the warning and plotstamp, then remove the EDU designator as well.  I am going to be less likely to open a drawing posted in these forums knowing the EDU designator can be inadvertently transferred to a Commercial drawing without so much as a warning message.

Message 26 of 45
jacoj
in reply to: nestly2

Good day, please help me on my support issue. Im the CAD admininstrator and a draughtsman, we recently found a issue where one off my users started getting the educational stamp on his drawing sheets. after long trouble shooting I found out that he actually brought in a component form GRABCAD which was created in an educational version, needless to say I was replicating his issue om my machine for trouble shooting purposes, but now I recieve the stamps on some off my drawings, but only after it has been checked to the Vault, and checked back out. we dont owe any student licences, and all of our licences is current, How do I get rid off this "bug" on my PC? needless to say im currently losing hours off work because off this.. please assist
Message 27 of 45
JDMather
in reply to: jacoj

@jacoj wrote:
Good day, please help me on my support issue.

You have not indicated what release of AutoCAD or what SP you are using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 28 of 45
jacoj
in reply to: JDMather

we are using 2013, SP 1
Message 29 of 45
JDMather
in reply to: jacoj

@jacoj wrote:
we are using 2013, SP 1

It looks like an upgrade to 2014 SP1 will solve your problem.  Smiley Wink

Back to the source of the original problems - there should have been two warnings, which were apparently ignored.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 30 of 45
jk91921

This is good news.  While I'm currently still a student, I don't have much of a problem with the plot stamp, but it does take away from the look of some of my drawings.  I was going to suggest adding the ability to move it out of the way when plotting, perhaps to the extreme edge of my plot, but I'm glad to see that I don't have to.

Joe Krolikowski

Message 31 of 45
pendean
in reply to: jk91921

Trim your paper before your presentation, or slap a frame/ border over it: it's not difficult to 'present' properly.
Message 32 of 45
riznasp
in reply to: nestly2

Nestly,

You are right. I found the same as well but once you update your service pack1 for your autocad 2014 you won't be able to find the warning message or the plot stamp while printing. So make sure your service pack is uptodate. 

Regards

Riznas

Message 33 of 45

I recently discovered the stamp issue myself after producing some drawings for an Architect I work with. We both use licensed versions of AutoCAD; 2014 LT for me, and a previous version for him. I have a number of files that were produced using educational software from my college days. I somehow inadvertently copied something from one of these files, but since I did not get the message I was unaware of the corruption. This now corrupt file was then sent to the Architect.

He brought it to my attention and it was embarrassing to say the least. He has a workaround for plotting (read whiteout), so he is not too concerned, however, his client had requested a copy of the CAD file. He was hesitant to send it knowing the stamp was there but with no other apparent option he sent it anyway, assuring the client that he uses fully licensed software. But, as the Architect said to me, the client is taking him at his word, and like me, he is embarrassed by the fact that the stamp is appearing on his drawings at all. And of course the file is now circulating, increasing the chance of further corruption.

The solutions as far as I can tell, apart from waiting for the possibility of it being resolved in the 2015 release, are:

-redraw the entire drawing starting with a clean file (very time consuming depending on the complexity of the drawing, and hours of unpaid work)

-underlay the CAD file in AutoCAD or another program such as Revit and trace the lines. Essentially redrawing, but may be a little faster. (Not sure if this works and would need to test)

-find a way to plot from a PDF so that the stamp is cut off (not yet tested this, and doesn't resolve the issue of the CAD file being corrupted)

-ask everyone who will be using the CAD file to upgrade to AutoCAD 2014 (not an option for everyone)

Can anyone offer any other workaround?

Since the corruption in this case was caused by copying/pasting I am wondering if there is a way to identify (through an audit for example) which element in a drawing originated from an educational product. It might be helpful to know who or what was the culprit in corrupting a particular file. Clearly, I would never have copied any elements if I had known this was going to happen.

I am left wondering if Autodesk considered the implications of removing the warning message. It is frustrating to someone who has paid their hard-earned money for fully licensed software only to have this happen. I am grateful that student versions were available to me during my education as it was a cost-effective way of learning the industry-standard software, thus ensuring a solid career as a draftsperson. But now it feels like a slap in the face for something that really isn't my fault. Please consider a solution to this problem.

I will now be checking all my CAD files to see what has been corrupted and what hasn't. There goes my Friday...

Message 34 of 45

Thanks Patchy, that worked!

Message 35 of 45

Hi,

I can understand your situation, not having got a warning message is not beautiful, but to that words:

>> Clearly, I would never have copied any elements if I had known this was going to happen.

Sorry, you have signed a license agreement that clearly states, that you are not allowed to use the data created by an education version in any commercial drawing. So you knew that it was not allowed!

That words sounds more like "as I thought nobody will recognize that, I can do that", ....you can, but you were not allowed to!

And so also that sentence:

>> But now it feels like a slap in the face for something that really isn't my fault

is not a statement I can fully agree. Who's fault is it then if not yours?

It seems you found some way, but even if you have found a way to remove the plot-marker .. the resulting drawings are a result of not following the license agreements.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 36 of 45
DarrenP
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

autocad 2015 can get rid of this stamp now

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Educati...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 37 of 45
Patchy
in reply to: DarrenP

Then educational stamp for free users is useless, might as well get rid of it.

Message 38 of 45
DarrenP
in reply to: Patchy

@Patchy wrote:

Then educational stamp for free users is useless, might as well get rid of it.

i agree i don't see the point

whats also stopping companies from buying edu licenses now

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 39 of 45
riznasp
in reply to: DarrenP

Dear All,

I would like to share a good news with you that in Autocad 2015 we can fix the issue with the Educational Version plot stamp. We just need to perform a save and its done. Or you can do a DWGConvert to do as a batch. I've done it for thousands of drawings. I'm not sure about if we may have any other issues with this.

Regards

Riznas

Message 40 of 45
stefano.taino
in reply to: durentech

I have the same problem.

Someone outside my company did a drawing with an Autocad EDU.

My Technician opened the file with LT2014 SP1 and they didn't receive any notification about the drawing made with a EDU licence. They do their job and they send to the client the draw. The client open the file with LT2012 and he received the notification that the drawing is made by an EDU licence.

I see this on your site ( http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Educati... ) and this is your solution:

AutoCAD 2014 SP1 - With AutoCAD 2014 Service Pack 1 installed, DWG files will no longer show the educational plot stamp while plotting, nor will they give a warning message when opening them. However, the stamp is still attached to the file even though it is not showing. The danger is that someone with 2014 SP1 could open a file and work on it without realizing it has the educational stamp on it. If they then send that to someone without SP1, or on an earlier version, that user will see the warning and the stamp. At this time, using 2014 with SP1 will still propagate the stamp to other drawings, as in the past. 
  AutoCAD 2015 -  This version has the ability to remove the stamp altogether if a Save is performed. Once a file is saved in 2015, it can be sent to users on earlier versions, and the stamp will no longer be a part of the file.

So Is this a solution for Autodesk?

With 2014 I receive the notification but I can correct the infected drawing

With 2014 SP1 I don't receive the notification but the dwg is infected and I don't know

With 2015 all solved

Is this a joke? So today I have hundred of infected project and only because in SP1 you remove the notification that is the only thing that you do right to know about this issue. That at the end this is not an issue but is a way to know what file do you received from outside.

Basically for 2014 SP1 you hide the dust under the carpet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost