*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 11 of 22 (2,539 Views)

Re: ACAD 2013 Copy and Paste hang-ups

11-06-2012 01:53 PM in reply to: dbelousova

Hi,

well, to understand what I have done:

• I deleted all objects from modelspace
  • I ran _PURGE to clean the drawing as much as possible (including RegApp-purge)
  • I ran command -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD, format 2010
  • I opened the previous exported version
  • I saved that as DXF (127MB)
  • I opend the DXF in an ascii-editor

And the result is:

• there exists a lot of non-graphical AEC-objects (especially style-definitions that seems to be imported when the XRef's were bound, created with AutoCAD Architectural 2007, at least I think so).
  • Additionally there were some DGN's inserted? I'm not sure about that but there are a lot of DGN-phrases in the nonsense-DXF that look like filename-extensions.

What I would suggest is to only bind drawings that are as clean as possible, binding them brings all AEC-content for every XRef separated into your active working-drawing + any command like _COPY or _ARRAY may duplicate these background-data.

If your Architect is using ACA then ask him to run command -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD or _AECEXPORTTOAUTOCAD (whatever command is available in his version) before sending data to you (but also tell him he has to do that on a copy of the original drawing, he should not destroy the ACA-structure in his working-drawings).

If you use DGN-data, clean it before your reference/import it!

Part of the DXF-Data so you see what is in your drawing (>3 mio DXF-lines):

BE70A
Spring&Bowery_Cellar-Base1$0$Abe & Arthur Second Floor_Base4$0$11-007_XP_2ND FLOOR_PLAN$0$11-007_XP_KITCHEN$0$DGN3
BE70B
Spring&Bowery_Cellar-Base1$0$Abe & Arthur Second Floor_Base4$0$11-007_XP_2ND FLOOR_PLAN$0$11-007_XP_KITCHEN$1$AT1arc2.dgn-StrokePattern-279797
BE70C
Spring&Bowery_Cellar-Base1$0$Abe & Arthur Second Floor_Base4$0$11-007_XP_2ND FLOOR_PLAN$0$11-007_XP_KITCHEN$1$AT1arc2.dgn-StrokePattern-279981

But again, as I thought, it's drawing depending, it's not a general problem that 2013 is slow in copy&paste :smileywink:

Good luck, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Contributor
dbelousova
Message 12 of 22 (2,537 Views)

11-06-2012 01:59 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hmm... I am kinda shocked as to why there are references for 2 completely separate and unrelated projects in this file.. First off, one of them i have never even touched. Secondly, those are with different architects.

I am starting to think that maybe the problem might arise when setting up architect baseplans (we recently hired some newer people and they get stuck with baseplan work, and i'm afraid some of this might be because of them.)

I will try myself with the getting rid of ACA structure. Maybe this will be something we implement into our baseplan-setting-up procedure.

We do not use DGN data as far as I know.

Will test your suggestions and I'll let you know!

Thanks a lot~

-Dasha B.
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 13 of 22 (2,531 Views)

11-06-2012 02:03 PM in reply to: dbelousova

Hi,

>> I am kinda shocked as to why there are references for 2 completely separate and unrelated projects in this file

If so then verify what was inserted from a symbol-library or any layouts, titleblocks, ,,,,, May be any of these sources includes insertions or references to this other project. And when you have that in one symbol, every insertion to any drawing duplicates the problem.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Contributor
dbelousova
Message 14 of 22 (2,530 Views)

11-06-2012 02:08 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Well, in a perfect world, none of our blocks should have anything xrefed into them or connected to them in any way. Our library is way too big to look through all of them but I will keep an eye out. IF someone did reference another project in a general simple block in the library, you can rest assured that i will find out who is responsible and there willl be unpleasant consequences....

Thanks again for all your help!

-Dasha B.
Contributor
dbelousova
Message 15 of 22 (2,509 Views)

11-07-2012 07:13 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

What I would suggest is to only bind drawings that are as clean as possible

So i've been trying to do some of things you mentioned, and I do not have any of the _EXPORTTOAUTOCAD commands.

Maybe you could give me some tips on drawing clean-up for my regular AutoCAD 2013 version?

Here is what we currently do upon receiving a background from an architect:

• Bind all xrefs
  • explode or burst all blocks
  • delete demo. MEP, lighting info, other unneeded plan notes
  • combine similar layers to be on one layer (all doors on one, etc) which usually takes it down from 100+ layers to anywhere from 5 to 25 layers.
  • change everything to one text style and dim style
  • _OVERKILL / _AUDIT / _PURGE
  • delete all points
  • then we save this file as Job Name_base1, and insert the xref into our working drawing.

If you could suggest another part in this process that may make the drawing cleaner, i would appreciate it.

-Dasha B.
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 16 of 22 (2,471 Views)

11-10-2012 12:16 PM in reply to: dbelousova

Hi,

>> Maybe you could give me some tips on drawing clean-up

The only two options I see are

• modify the DXF manually
  • write a short tool specialized for that type of data you have in your drawings (I think that should be done in a few hours and it would be worth if you get these type of problems shipped mulitiple times in your daily work)

The best option might be to go to this partner from whom you got these drawings and discuss your interfaces and the options for that. What can he set when he exports the data for you to avoid this none useful data (none useful for you).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
fcaceres
Message 17 of 22 (2,275 Views)

02-05-2013 12:56 PM in reply to: dbelousova

Is what you should do the following things:
1 Save a copy of the original file. (Archiv 1)
2 Export (Archiv1) to DXF.
3. Open file Archiv1.DXF created and run purge; see that you could not purge blocks in the original file, now if you can purge DXF finished purging once again save as DXF and compare the file size with the DXF original DWG file, you will notice that the size has reduced considerably.
4. - Opens a new drawing set its parameters (units, etc.) and inserts the DXF file as a block and Explode.
5. You should do the same procedure for all files that are too large, and including external references.
6. The most important thing is that you should not re-run (Copy_Paste), because this action generates virus in your files. function uses WBLOCK

You see this is a very long, but personally to me
it and my files are considerably reduced

I hope will be helpful.

Any problem just write me to:

Fcaceres_m@hotmail.com

steve.w
Message 18 of 22 (1,983 Views)

05-03-2013 09:30 PM in reply to: dbelousova

My ACAD 2013 is autosaving everytime I use ctr-l C; and every time I switch between drawings. I can not locate where to remove or modify what may cause autosave....

*Expert Elite*
maxim_k
Message 19 of 22 (1,980 Views)

05-03-2013 11:13 PM in reply to: steve.w

HI,

Go to AutoCAD Options, Open & Save tab:

Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 10.10.29.png

... and set your autosave preferences here.

Maxim

Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | MARSS

steve.w
Message 20 of 22 (1,977 Views)

05-03-2013 11:33 PM in reply to: maxim_k
Yes,

That sure is where you set the autosave.....on some time based cycle. That's not my issue. My system is auto-saving the drawing each time I use the copy function; which takes about 3 seconds; so if you do a lot of copying the system is doing a ton of autosaves. I have not told any preference that I want to autosave when I am copying.....

I learned from another site that the system is doing this because my drawing is on a local cloud; so it saves much differently for some reason I can not determine why.

When I saved the drawing to my desktop the problem disappears.....

Steve
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.