AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
dbelousova
Message 1 of 22 (7,975 Views)
Accepted Solution

ACAD 2013 Copy and Paste hang-ups

7975 Views, 21 Replies
10-26-2012 09:19 AM

My company runs about 10 computers with CAD, and we recently all upgraded to 2013. Suddenly, we experience problems with basic copy and paste, ctrl c / ctrl v. It does complete the function, but the process takes about 10 times longer than it usually would and directly depends on the size of the drawing. For example, in opne drawing, copying one single line can take approximately 30 seconds. In a different drawing that is of a larger, copying that same exact line, same length, layer 0, same position, can take upwards of 5 minutes. The same amount of time is required to then paste it into another drawing.

Our company re-uses many blocks and sometimes, we just pull them from another drawing that will have a whole area of similar design, so copy and paste is a very useful command. Has anyone else ran into this yet?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Dasha B.

Hi,

well, to understand what I have done:

• I deleted all objects from modelspace
  • I ran _PURGE to clean the drawing as much as possible (including RegApp-purge)
  • I ran command -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD, format 2010
  • I opened the previous exported version
  • I saved that as DXF (127MB)
  • I opend the DXF in an ascii-editor

And the result is:

• there exists a lot of non-graphical AEC-objects (especially style-definitions that seems to be imported when the XRef's were bound, created with AutoCAD Architectural 2007, at least I think so).
  • Additionally there were some DGN's inserted? I'm not sure about that but there are a lot of DGN-phrases in the nonsense-DXF that look like filename-extensions.

What I would suggest is to only bind drawings that are as clean as possible, binding them brings all AEC-content for every XRef separated into your active working-drawing + any command like _COPY or _ARRAY may duplicate these background-data.

If your Architect is using ACA then ask him to run command -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD or _AECEXPORTTOAUTOCAD (whatever command is available in his version) before sending data to you (but also tell him he has to do that on a copy of the original drawing, he should not destroy the ACA-structure in his working-drawings).

If you use DGN-data, clean it before your reference/import it!

Part of the DXF-Data so you see what is in your drawing (>3 mio DXF-lines):

BE70A
Spring&Bowery_Cellar-Base1$0$Abe & Arthur Second Floor_Base4$0$11-007_XP_2ND FLOOR_PLAN$0$11-007_XP_KITCHEN$0$DGN3
BE70B
Spring&Bowery_Cellar-Base1$0$Abe & Arthur Second Floor_Base4$0$11-007_XP_2ND FLOOR_PLAN$0$11-007_XP_KITCHEN$1$AT1arc2.dgn-StrokePattern-279797
BE70C
Spring&Bowery_Cellar-Base1$0$Abe & Arthur Second Floor_Base4$0$11-007_XP_2ND FLOOR_PLAN$0$11-007_XP_KITCHEN$1$AT1arc2.dgn-StrokePattern-279981

But again, as I thought, it's drawing depending, it's not a general problem that 2013 is slow in copy&paste :smileywink:

Good luck, - alfred -

Contributor
dbelousova
Message 2 of 22 (7,912 Views)

Re: ACAD 2013 Copy and Paste hang-ups

11-06-2012 08:35 AM in reply to: dbelousova

I am still experiencing this problem..

Any help from anyone?

-Dasha B.
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 3 of 22 (7,893 Views)

11-06-2012 10:02 AM in reply to: dbelousova

Hi,

At least the problem is not a common one, otherwise you would have found other threads and you would have got answers already.

IMHO such things are depending on drawings (a similar situation was with 2008 when you had a lot of annotation-scales in the drawing), but as you have not uploaded any drawings it's not possible for us to reproduce that. Do you have the option to upload 2 drawings where copy&paste from one to the other show this issue?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Contributor
dbelousova
Message 4 of 22 (7,890 Views)

11-06-2012 10:21 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

In this specific case today, it took approximately 10 minutes to copy 9 items from one drawing to the other: I copied 3 blocks and 6 polylines. When looking into this previously, it seemed to me like what specifically affected the time frame was not WHAT was copied, but the size of the drawing it was copied from. It takes the same amount of time to copy (with or without basepoint) as it does to paste (whether regular paste or paste as block).

In this case it takes a long time because the drawing i copy from is extensive.

My drawings are too large to attach, so I am posting them on our FTP for your use:

ftp://remote.nextstepdesign.com

Username:  CADFILE

Password: ACAD2013

-Dasha B.
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 5 of 22 (7,877 Views)

11-06-2012 11:44 AM in reply to: dbelousova

Hi,

ok, I started with _AUDIT and _WBLOCK to create new/clean drawings from yours....and that took now a lot of time, with one drawing this message cameup:

That brings me to the idea that this drawing is not created with AutoCAD, so it may contain some garbage that would not be imported when constructed directly with AutoCAD.

Secondly sorry to say, the structure of these drawings is not as good as it should be. Every chair, every table every detail that is used quite often is drawn by lines/circles/arcs. Except of the importet floors there is no block-object in the drawing. I bet if you rework the drawing using structuring methods like blocks, using more polylines than lines your drawing size gets reduced to 20% (or less). And I bet also that after this rework your copy&paste problems are gone.

I will try some things more and let you know if there are some very critical issues in the drawing, but imho the answer is "spent a few hours to get better structured (and so better working) drawings".

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Contributor
dbelousova
Message 6 of 22 (7,874 Views)

11-06-2012 11:55 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

The reason that the chairs and such are all messed up is; the xrefs all come from architects, and we only put in our own blocks and info on a few layers. Unfortunately, we only control to a certain extent what is in the xref (and please believe me that the product you have in front of you is already very much cleaned up, we spend time cutting down on architect layers and other unnecesary thing.)

There are certain things we cannot do to cut down on dwg size in our company, and that is several layers that we have in every drawing must be present even if unused to keep certain lisp routines running. I'm going to upload the ORIGINAL baseplan file that we used for the xreference to the same folder just to give you an idea of what we deal with (only open if you're curious haha)
 As far as I know, they use autoCAD, but the error message you have gotten i have also gotten a few times, and only on this project that I was copying from.

And while you are messing with this file and project, I ran into another thing recently that I found a work around for, but I would love to hear your input:

I ran into a problem where when i used E-transmit to save down to an autocad 2000 format, it greatly increased my file size (please see attachment). The work-around for this issue was to change it to save down only to a AutoCAD 2004 file, which seemed to leave the file esentially the same size when unzipped.

-Dasha B.
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 7 of 22 (7,866 Views)

11-06-2012 11:59 AM in reply to: dbelousova

Hi,

>> I ran into a problem where when i used E-transmit to save down to a autocad 200 format,

>> it greatly increased by file size

The thing I'm currently thinking about is the issue that a file after command _WBLOCK is larger then the original file ;(

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Contributor
dbelousova
Message 8 of 22 (7,857 Views)

11-06-2012 12:23 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

You might notice also that in the middle of october, this same file was under 10 MB. As of today, that same file is 28 MB, but we have not added any major components; the extend of my recent work with that file was relocation of elements. I would love to think that this project itself and the files we receive from that architects are to blame, but I think it's something deeper. I am having our IT guy look into this issue as well. It seems like anything done to this file just increases the file size.. I've ran audits and recovers..

Also this issue is not exclusive just to my machine; this copy and paste slow down seems to affect everyone in our company, and nobody else is working on this specific project.

We are all running the following:

-Dasha B.
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 9 of 22 (7,853 Views)

11-06-2012 12:37 PM in reply to: dbelousova

Hi,

I currently work on your *pastedFrom*-file. Erasing all objects from modelspace and purging then leaves a drawing of size 36MB (again: now no entity exists in modelspace or in layout).

Do you run any applications on top of AutoCAD (or your project-partner)? ... or vertical product?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Contributor
dbelousova
Message 10 of 22 (7,852 Views)

11-06-2012 12:43 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

We run a custom lisp routine set-up that is sort of like an app, but not really anything 3rd Party, if that makes sense? I am thinking of this in the sense that at my previous job, we ran something called RebarCAD overtop of AutoCAD. We do not have anything like that.

But we do have custom company-wide commands and buttons:

And essentially all they do is insert blocks.

If the architect is running something else, I do not know. They don't exactly share all their secrets with us, ha ha..

-Dasha B.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.