A different problem

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rohit.jain092
388 Views, 9 Replies

A different problem

Hi there

I am trying to model the internal structure of some building which is totally closed from outside.

I only have the 2D sections of the internal structure (North-South) and (East-West) at the center of the structure.

I have placed the two sections orthognally. Now having no further knowledge, how far can i approximate the 3D structure of the internal geometry. I have tried the revolve option but i want to use both the sectons.

I know this is a weird problem but since there is no idea about the internal geometry, any close guesses would do , just that i have to make the best use of the available data.

please find the attached file for the sections.

Thanks you for your time

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
nestly2
in reply to: rohit.jain092

I'm not sure I understand the question?  Is this what you're looking for?

geom.gif

Message 3 of 10
rohit.jain092
in reply to: nestly2

Hi nestly

Great work. Yes that is something i am looking at. But are these sections crossing each other or you have placed them adjacent end to end. I am really sorry if I am not able to explain my point.My point is those sections are at the center of the profile.Now

1. Can you please tell me how did you do it?

2. How did you make that animation showing the profile. It would really help when i present my work.

Thanks 🙂

Message 4 of 10
nestly2

1) First, I moved the profiles away from each other, then used BPOLY to make each profile into a closed polyline. Extruded the proflles into solids, then INTERSECT command to find the intersection of the solids.  However, there is an inconsistancy with your profiles (cross-sections)...  they should both be the same height. so it's unclear how the "top" should be shaped.

2) Camtasia Studio was used to make the animated .gif, and is only useful for very short clips,  for longer clips, I use Camtasia or Jing (free) both of which will automatically upload the video to free onllne storage at Screencast.com

Message 5 of 10
rohit.jain092

Thank you very much nestly, really appreciate your help
Can you please upload the file of the geometry you have made.
Thanks again 🙂
Message 6 of 10
nestly2

@rohit.jain092 wrote:

Can you please upload the file of the geometry you have made.

I would rather help you learn to create the geometry yourself, especially since there is a problem with the profile that needed corrected to acheive the proper result ( ie there is no intersection at the top because one profile is shorter than the other)

Demo -->  http://www.screencast.com/t/KjhCnmcwmI

*note    I created a new layer and set it current so the new geometry would be distinguishable from the existing. 

Message 7 of 10
rohit.jain092

Thanks nestly

But there is no attached file.

I have tried to make them the same height, but they have the same height upto two decimal places. I dont know how to make them the exact height.

Message 8 of 10
rohit.jain092

I am using the scale>reference command to scale the drawings to the same height. I have scaled both the drawings to the same height up to two decimal places. But they don't intersect.
Message 9 of 10
nestly2

@rohit.jain092 wrote:
I am using the scale>reference command to scale the drawings to the same height. I have scaled both the drawings to the same height up to two decimal places. But they don't intersect.

Here's another video showing how to use SCALE>Reference when the object being scaled does not intersect the reference object using point filters. (Ortho also works if you re-orient the UCS)

http://www.screencast.com/t/FRcKlyVu

Also attached is a drawing with the result, however I am posting the drawing reluctantly and just for demonstration purposes.  Each profile/cross-section has to be dimensionally correct before EXTRUDE and INTERSECT, and it's unlikely the scaled profile meets this requirement.

Message 10 of 10

Hi nestly

Thank you and sorry for the late reply. I have got your point. I will first correct my sections and then proceed.

Thank you very much 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost