Did you mean: 

3dconnexion Space Mouse pro not functioning with Autocad 2014

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
sp584
9960 Views, 15 Replies

3dconnexion Space Mouse pro not functioning with Autocad 2014

Hello there,

This is a very frustrating issue i have had for quite a while ever since i started using Autocad 2014. My 3dconnexion Spacemouse Pro, which is an incredible piece of kit, which really enhances productivity especially when working in 3d does no longer work with Autocad 2014 although it did work with previous versions of autocad. I have updated to the latest drivers for the 3dconnexion software, i placed the autodesk hotfix in the right place and got repeated fatal errors, removed it again and autocad works fine but not with the 3d mouse. I also tried to reinstall graphics drivers but nothing works.

I contacted 3dconnexion on a number of occasions regarding this issue and they have categorically said to me that this is an autodesk issue, which has been pending for a long time and i am wondering why i have not seen anyone else make an issue of this matter on the forums? Perhaps and most hopefully i am simply making a mistake here and i would be most grateful for anyone's help regarding this issue because i desperately would like to use my 3d mouse again. I have been very disappointed to have had this wonderful hardware, which was expensive too, remain unexploited. And it would be utterly unacceptable if autodesk has indeed chosen to overlook this matter. Please help me out here.

Thank you in advance for your help.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
ampster402
in reply to: sp584

I'm curious if the following was ever brought up or looked into...

Since Autodesk now provides a 3dconnexion device driver within the AutoCAD software, have you or anybody else (especially the folks at 3dconnexion) directed you towards disabling the 3dconnexion driver for AutoCAD versions 2007 thru 2010 from within the 3dconnexion driver?

HTH

Message 3 of 16
sp584
in reply to: ampster402

I am not aware that such a driver exists in Autocad 2014. Are you able to indicate with a screen shot or step b6 step instructions where these drivers are activated or deactivated or installed?  Thank you for your help. 
Message 4 of 16
ampster402

To clarify, this is something that you adjust under the 3dconnexion device driver area, not thru AutoCAD itself.

What is happening is AutoCAD's driver is duking it out with the 3dconnexion driver (ie, they are both enabled) - and you really don't want two drivers enabled at the same time.

Without knowing what Operating System you are using, go into your Control Panel and then go into the area in which you can uninstall or modify programs.

In there, locate the 3dconnexion driver software, highlight it only, do not double-click on it (at least with Win7), then choose "Modify" or perhaps "Change".

When you finally get into the 3dconnexion driver options, you'll see a ton of drivers loaded for alot of software you may not have loaded.  It is safe to deactivate the 3dconnexion drivers for any software you do not have.

Now locate the AutoCAD driver option inside 3dconnexion, you should see that it is for AutoCAD 2007 to 2010 only and is probably activated - it has been on every single install we have done over the last couple of years.

My thoughts are - the 3dconnexion device drivers, when installed, should be inspecting systems to see what software is installed and only enable the drivers that are needed.

So it's their problem.  OK, everybody has opinions!

HTH

edit, I would be curious to know about this hotfix you mentioned in your first post - what was that related to or what's it for and where did it come from?

Message 5 of 16
ampster402

Screenshots to help hopefully.

3dconnexion1.png

3dconnexion2.png

3dconnexion3.png

Message 6 of 16
ampster402

I should add that we do not support the 3dconnexion mouse for use with Acad.  We install and support it for the solidmodeling packages we provide to our clients.  The reason I am aware of this is because a number of NX clients who also have Acad installed discovered the problem.

I cannot say whether or not the Autodesk AutoCAD driver for 3dconnexion mice will have all the same capabilities as the propietary driver would.  I am not aware of any way to make any changes to how the AutoCAD driver responds or works and I have never found a way to disable it from the Acad side.

ahhhhhh, just updated my 3dconnexion driver and see it does not mention anything now about what versions of Acad it supports.  I will let it install the Acad driver and report back what happens.

Message 7 of 16
ampster402

sorry for providing old fixes.  We had not had a chance yet to install the driver recently.

Here's what I've discovered after updating the 3d connexion driver.

It no longer mentions any version of AutoCAD it works with.

I choose the Custom option when installing it and deactivated any driver I didn't need and left the Acad one enabled.

The mouse worked, at first it was jerky in Acad.  After a moment it smoothed out and became usable.

I then closed down Acad, went into the Control Panel and deactivated the 3d connexion add-on for Acad.

Restarted Acad and the 3d mouse still worked, not sure why though.

Perhaps try disabling yours just for a test?

Message 8 of 16
sp584

this is where the hotfix is on the autodesk website:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-3dconnexion-...

thank you for the rest, i will have to check and see how it goes. I will be back soon. Many thanks once more Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
sp584

Ok I have performed all these alterations.

The operation is far from satisfactory although certainly better than not
working at all previously.

At 2d level I suppose one could say it is more or less functional although
not as smooth as I would prefer or as it is in other software such as
sketchup. In 3d though it is hopeless. I have a file with points in 3d space
and the experience is very poor. I also found out that you have to first
activate the NAVBAR to On in order to start having proper operation. Once I
had removed the addon autocad driver from the 3dconnexion installation as
shown in the screen shots I experienced yet more glitchy movement.
Especially when opting to orbit in 3d rather than simply panning and zooming
in or out it is hopeless. It's flashing all the time and the movement is
very slow and with constant pausing, completely unacceptable. It honestly
feels like someone has not given the attention needed in the programming
here to work out these bugs. Sketchup and solidworks really work like a
dream with these 3d mice and previous experience I had with autocad was much
better.

Any other ideas?
Message 10 of 16
ampster402

I cannot comment on how well it should work in Acad.  I've noticed the mouse still works in there but never actually use it for just Acad.  It's presence is more so for support purposes (very rarely) in regards to the many solidmodeling packages we provide.

Something to consider perhaps is the hotfix you mentioned is coming from Autodesk and is meant for AutoCAD setups that are using those mice.  The date of that hotfix is 2012, somewhere around the time frame of all my old suggested fixes would have been used to prevent conflicting drivers.

That suggests that the hotfix may be interferring with the driver from 3d connexion.  Maybe try uninstalling the hotfix.  I just read the readme file about that hotfix and it states it's for 2013 - so get rid of it.

I can say that when I was testing it yesterday that at first it seemed the mouse wasn't usable due to when I spun a simple 3d box around at first it jumped off screen completely.  After resetting the zoom level thru acad and trying the mouse once more it seemed alot more stable, but yet I could notice an annoying hesitation/flickering screen symptoms which I know I wouldn't like in the long run if I did use it regularly.

Message 11 of 16
sp584

Dear ampster,

Thank you for spending the time to investigate into this matter. The hotfix
simply crashes autocad so I have long decided to remove it from use before
having started this discussion. It simply did not do the job any longer. I
tried all the previous routines you mentioned without it.

The flickering you mention is identical to the flashing I was previously
referring to, which makes the use of the 3d mouse, in 3d spac and
manipulation, absolutely impossible to work with, thus it is clear that the
3dconnexion software and/or the related autocad drivers ARE NOT UP TO THE
TASK and Autodesk has to decide or 3d connexion had better make the
appropriate changes. Your either support a piece of software or you don't,
you can't half-support it or only support it in 2d. That is simply
non-sensical not to say ridiculous. Furthermore I know several people who
exclusively use autocad for 3d modelling and have seen marvellous results
from working with it. So, I am completely unaccepting of any justifications
saying "well it sort of works most of the time in autocad" but "3d mice are
mainly for 3d packages..."

In so far as I am concerned Autocad is clearly a 3d package as well (unless
Autodesk would be willing to vouch otherwise) and hence ought to work with
the 3d mouse just as well as any other 3d package. Until which time this has
been appropriately resolved this issue remains UNSOLVED.

I honestly hope to see a solution but I am very disappointed things have not
been worked out over so long. It's a shame!
Message 12 of 16
sp584

I still have not received an adequate solution to the problem.

The 3d mouse is not usable in autocad 2014 for 3d manipulation and is often very erratic in 2d manipulation.

Please can i have someone's help or a bug fix from autodesk or 3dconnexion. Also, from the directions i received from ampster, whom i thank for his time, it is clear that there are unacceptable driver conflicts between autocad and 3d connexion software, which really make both 3dconnexion and autodesk appear at least uncoordinated and unprofessional. Would someone PLEASE make a responsible statement on whether 3dconnexion  and Autodesk do support 3dmice for Autocad or not? And when i say support i mean appropriately support, without bugs, glitches or dysfunction.

I still have not received an adequate solution or answer.

thank you.

Message 13 of 16
ampster402

Just to be clear, you know you'll only be getting assistance from other peers thru this forum correct?

Have you contacted your VAR?  I'd start there if you haven't already.

Message 14 of 16
zaphod42

I recently bought a space mouse pro and was having the same issue, I found the solution on there forums, after a lot of searching. mine now works in 2013 just fine.

"if you're running 64-bit Windows and use a serial 3dconnexion device, you'll want to download the 64-bit CadMan driver, regardless of your product. It appears to be the only 64-bit 2.8.2 (serial) driver that they made"

Message 15 of 16
sp584
in reply to: zaphod42

Thanks for the reply. Appreciated. I was referring to Autocad 2014 but I suppose there must be similar issues. A bit perplexed about this issue since this is not a serial port we are using but a usb port. Do you have a link for this download? Is it a 3d connexion driver? Many thanks in adnvance. Also, I never replied to ampster, whom I once more thank for his help and patience, yes I realise that I would only receive peer help from the forum.
Message 16 of 16
zaphod42

here  is a link to my former paper weight driver. I hope it helps you, I love mine.

3DxSoftware64

www.3dconnexion.com/service/archived-drivers.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost