Did you mean: 

3d Object & 3d Face Selection Problem in AutoCAD 2014

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
lightening_sparkle
8973 Views, 18 Replies

3d Object & 3d Face Selection Problem in AutoCAD 2014

Hi,

In the AutoCAD 2014, i m facing an annoying problem with 3d object\face selection.

While using the Hidden or Realistic visual style, whenever i m trying to select an object, the object below is being selected. I also noticed that the edges of the object lying "below" is being selected in the priority basis even the Hidden or Realistic visual style which is causing the the prob.

Simillar face selection prob is occuring while i m using the Move Face\Extrude Face command.

Is there any variables or settings to avoid these problems?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Welcome to the forums.

The object in "front" should get priority.   In operations that require subobject selection (Move Face/Extrude Face etc) try using CTRL+Spacebar to cycle through the subobjects.

If you're still not sure it's working correctly, post a screenshot, and/or attach the file.

Message 3 of 19

Thank you for ur quick response........ 🙂

The object in "front" should get priority- - - -But the the prob is really there.

When i m clicking on a 3d solid, if the cursor is on the edge of the object behind, autocad is giving the priority to the edge of the object behind, In the previous versions, these type of selection could have done only in the wireframe mode, as the wireframe shows only the edges....But why it is happening also in the Hidden or Realistic visual style in AutoCAD 2014..... !!!

I'v attached a snapshot, in which, while i m trying to select the green solid & if my cursor is on the edge line of the solid door frame behind (dotted/selected solid), the door frame is being selected....!!!!

Can u find me a solution please?

Message 4 of 19

Even the CTRL+Spacebar isnt working on the prob.... !!!!
Message 5 of 19

I can't replicate that behavior.  Are you using vanilla AutoCAD, or AutoCAD Architecture?If AutoCAD, and you upload a sample drawing with just a few door panels.

Message 6 of 19

Sorry for the Late.........

i m attaching my 3d file's Link.  If u have free time, then please solve me this puzle.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fypnluzexfvkzlj/SA%20Residence.dwg

Sorry for wasting your valuable time.....

Message 7 of 19

Hi,

can you describe where enough in your drawing, in the saved view you click to get the wrong object selected? A screenshot with the point of the click and the object selected/highlighted then would be good to describe that.

Do you have plain AutoCAD or do you have Map3D or Civil3D? The question is because of a different type of selection in some situations if there are images embeded with those products, in case of Map3D or Civil3D you can check the dialog for command _MAPIOPTIONS, second tab (I guess it's called something like "globally") and there is a checkbox for "Imageselection via <SHIFT><CLICK>, changing that might also change your click-select situation.

Also worth to try: do you have the same problem if you disable the hardware acceleration?

I also would not save the drawing as 2007 by default, only as different file for transfering to anyone else, but not the working file!

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 19

This is an interesting issue that I've not run into before.  It seems to be related to the distance the obscured object is "behind" the "front" face.  Now that I've seen your drawing, I've been able to replicate it in AutoCAD2011 & 2014.

CULLINGOBJ  & CULLINGOBJSELECTION & SELECTIONPREVIEW seem to help avoid picking the wrong object(s), but I'm not sure if the obscured objects can be eliminated from selection if the aperture is over their edges.

Also, Hardware Acceleration did not seem to have any affect.

In the animation below, SELECTIONPREVIEW is initially turned on for demonstration purposes, however even when SELECTIONPREVIEW is disabled, the obscured objects may still be selected.

3DSelection2.gif

Message 9 of 19

Hello,

Thank you for your response......

@ Alfred :

I m using a plain AutoCAD 2014. The prob is described via Nestly's animation above already......

I'v tried about the Hardware Acceleration, but it did not seem to have any affect.

Can u explain me why u would not save the drawing as 2007 by default? I m doing this as i'v to transfer this file to different version frequenly. But, are there problems with those old file formats?

@ Nestly :

i'v tried the cullingobj & cullingobjselection, but it didn't solve my prob  :-(((

But, the moment i applied those variables, it was working fine. Just after, i orbit around the object/ zoomed a little, and the prob arrived..... !!!!

For your acknowledgement, i didnt have this issue in the plain AutoCAD 2010.

Message 10 of 19

Hi,

>> The prob is described via Nestly's animation above already

Do you mean the position when Nestly (within his video) turned off SELECTIONPREVIEW and get then the object "behind" the glas selected? For me that is default and normal as you only get selected objects when your cursor is over an edge of an object. The glas in the front does not have an edge at the cursors position, but the wall "behind" has, so the wall is the only object that can be selected at that position (at least having SELECTIONPREVIEW activated makes you able to see what AutoCAD would select when you would click now, and that also was the wall in the video).

But maybe I missed something (or just don't understand)?

>> Can u explain me why u would not save the drawing as 2007 by default?

>> are there problems with those old file formats?

Short: old fileformats don't know new objecttypes and properties, so instead of just save it does always convert (needs more time for saving and opening then and is sometimes not free of issues).

Longer interpretation: >>>click<<<

Anyone around in your world needing your drawings in an older format should look to save it back by himself/herself. There is a product called >>>DWG TrueView<<< (lower right in the link) for free that can do that.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 19

@lightening_sparkle wrote:
@ Nestly :

i'v tried the cullingobj & cullingobjselection, but it didn't solve my prob  :-(((

But, the moment i applied those variables, it was working fine. Just after, i orbit around the object/ zoomed a little, and the prob arrived..... !!!!

For your acknowledgement, i didnt have this issue in the plain AutoCAD 2010.

The variables I mentioned won't prevent the objects from being selected, but it will cause them to be "previewed" so you can avoid accidentally selecting a hidden object.

Orbiting may have temporarily "fixed" the issue because I've found that the view orientation seems to affect whether hidden objects can be selected.  In the following demo, notice that the hidden objects can only be selected by a relatively small portion of their edges, and only when the edge are "vertical"  http://www.screencast.com/t/SmNKWNQa

I can't say whether it occurs in 2010, but the same issue does exist in AutoCAD2011 thru 2014

What Alfred said about saving to a previous version is essentially correct, however I have not found save times to be noticably different, nor have I ever experienced any errors saving to a previous format. On the other hand, I have had trouble with TruView failing to convert some objects correctly.  YMMV.   I actually save all my 3D drawings in 2007 format because I've found the file size is significantly smaller than saving them as 2010 or 2013.

Here is what Autodesk says about it.

Message 12 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: nestly2

Hi,

>> however I have not found save times to be noticably different,

It depends on what objectypes you use, e.g. having a lot of annotation objects, saving back to 2007 or older (annotative objects were not known for this versions) and play with variable SAVEFIDELITY ... and I guess you'll see difference in filesize and time need to save.

Same to objects like NURBS and newer 3D surface objects.

>> On the other hand, I have had trouble with TruView failing to convert some objects correctly

Not just TrueView, everytime you use a vertical product (like MEP, ACA, Civil3D, ...) for creating the drawing there might be differences (especially without object enabler) when you run another vertical or plain AutoCAD for saving that data back.

>> In the following demo, notice

Great, I'll try that on the evening to reproduce.

May I ask two questions to that:

- Had you Dynamic-UCS active? Is it depending on that?

- (more private) How did you get the letters X, Y, Z written to your cursors axislines?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 19
nestly2
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

>>It depends on what objectypes you use, e.g. having a lot of annotation objects, saving back to 2007 or older (annotative objects were not known for this versions) and play with variable SAVEFIDELITY ... and I guess you'll see difference in filesize and time need to save.

Same to objects like NURBS and newer 3D surface objects.

You are probably correct about using SAVEFIDELITY, however I don't believe the issue is with the drawing format, rather it's with the AutoCAD application.  For example, while it's true that AutoCAD2007 does not support Annotative objects, AutoCAD2008-09 also use 2007 dwg format and they do have native support for Annotative objects.  I personally don't use 2007 dwg format for backward compatibility,  I use it because I see better performance in my drawings.  I am in the process of transitioning to AMEP, so all my previous efforts to maintain small/fast drawing files are about to vanish.   Smiley Sad

>>- Had you Dynamic-UCS active? Is it depending on that?

- (more private) How did you get the letters X, Y, Z written to your cursors axislines?

-Dynamic UCS was disabled in the demo, however it does not seem to make any difference when AutoCAD is in "Select Objects" mode.

-Crosshair labels;  Tools > Options > 3D Modeling > 3D Crosshairs > Crosshair labels > Use X, Y, Z

Message 14 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Crosshair labels;  Tools > Options > 3D Modeling > 3D Crosshairs > Crosshair labels > Use X, Y, Z

Wow, haven't seen that yet, but seems quite helpfull. THX!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 15 of 19

@ Alfred.Neswabda :

Yes, U'v got to the exact point......But i m in prob with these selection precedence now.....I just need to give the glass priority over the wall / edge's solid to be selected first in the hidden visual style.

In the previous versions of autocad, these kind of selection preference would have take place only in the wireframe mode - edge should be selected of a solid. But, when i m using the Hidden visual style, why would autocad give priority to a hidden edge of  the object behind !!!

Can u find me a solution out please?

Message 16 of 19

Hi,

>> But, when i m using the Hidden visual style, why would autocad give priority

>> to a hidden edge of  the object behind !!!

Out of my understanding object selection does not depend on the visual style (well, nestly showed one situation that seems to really hide edges on some positions, but at least also in his video "hidden edges" are not really hidden to the object selection at all). Autodesk does not give priority to a hidden edge as at that position it has only one edge and that is the edge of the wall.

If there are multiple objects that "might be" selected I always would have SELECTIONPREVIEW active in in most cases I would also use selection cycling (to be toggled with <CTRL><W>). I guess that's the most efficient way for selecting the objects you need to.

I may contradict now myself as I tried now Nestly's way, created 4 boxes with different Z-insertion values, used orbit to look to the objects with a different angle (similar to the video) and wherever I am, I can only select the uppermost box ... in 2010 as also in 2014. So can you try that with my drawing I attached here? (PLEASE rename the attachment to .DWG as I had problems uploading the file with .DWG as extension).

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 17 of 19

==Out of my understanding object selection does not depend on the "visual style"

The object behind" the glass is being selected in with priority even in the Hidden visual styles which would have done only in the wireframe mode in the AutoCAD 2010.

I just need to alter the precedence.

In the previous versions of Autocad (2010), in the wireframe mode, only edges would have to be picked to select an solid.

But, in the Hidden or Conceptual or Realistic visual style, clicking on any face/edge of the solid would have done to select a solid.

If i would clicked on a face, whatever behind the solid face (edge/object), that was completely ignored. Which was depended on the "visual style"

That selection method following the "Priority according to the Line of Sight" was quite helpful for the 3D Editting.

Can you solve me this problem please?

Message 18 of 19

I also can only select the uppermost box in your file. I also replicated the boxes in my working file which also gave a similar result. But for the glass and the frames, it is behaving alien !!!
Message 19 of 19
neiders

Yes this problem is especially time consuming when working in shaded visual mode you want to extrude visible plane or switch to new UCS plane (which is visible in 3d shaded mode).

If You try to do this when model is complex with many edges (which are located behind visible face) then in most cases will select unvisible background edges and not desired visible object face.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost