3D model rounding edges in a volume model

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Milius
1524 Views, 4 Replies

3D model rounding edges in a volume model

Dear Community,

I would like to create an iPhone 6 case with some curves at the outer sides. I tried to use the round over command and the edging command. But this doesn't work. Has someboy an idea how I can get the outer edges round? Thanks for your help. The .dwg file is attached.

Best wishes

Jeannette

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
nestly2
in reply to: Milius

The "case" appears to be comprised of two different solid objects.  Fillet will work around the outside as long as the Fillet radius is less than the thickness of the solid, but you won't be able to create a Fillet on the inside because they are two different objects.  Try using UNION to join them into one Solid, then FILLET the inside first using the Chain/Loop options to make sure the Fillet goes the whole way around the inside of the case. Once the inside is FILLETED, there should be enough material to create a FILLET on the outside that may be larger than the thickness if desired.

Message 3 of 5
Milius
in reply to: nestly2

Unfortunately I don't get that. After I have joined the two solids I tried to use the Fillet Chain command and nothing happens. Are the edges to small, that I am not able to round them up?

Message 4 of 5
nestly2
in reply to: Milius

My mistake.  There are some inconsistencies in the way the edges of the solids meet that I had not previously noticed, so even when UNIONed together, the Fillet will not chain the whole way around.  For demonstration purposes, I redid the case by reusing only the front of the case and changing it's extrusion height with the Properties Palette.   SOLIDEDIT > SHELL removing the top and back faces to create the pocket, then FILLET. The result may not be exactly what you need, but it shows a couple of techniques that may help you achieve the desired result.

Demo -->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1bEhz_dTCo

Message 5 of 5
Milius
in reply to: nestly2

Wow, that's amazing. Thank you so much for your lot of work. Now I will go further on 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost