Did you mean: 

3D Model for a 3D print

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
KatyBradford
202 Views, 3 Replies

3D Model for a 3D print

Hey everyone,

I'm working on this part to be printed. I can't fugure out how to fill in the missing pieces. How do I create solids in these specific situations?

1) I need to fill in the holes in the middle rib

2) I need to complete the outer shell over the two middle parts that are open still.

Any advice/solutions would be appreciated!

Katy

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi,

>> I can't fugure out how to fill in the missing pieces

To be honest I would restart the construction as you have a lot of gaps, it seems like every connection between the upper ceiling and the outer ring (hope that this is understandable) does not fit exactly.

Another questions:

Is it correct that every segment of the outer ring has a different size? Or should that be symmetrical?

Did that construction start from scratch or is that a reconstrution of anything existing?

I have attached a drawing with layout/viewports so you can see these gaps:

2014-09-11 02-13-29.png

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 4

Hey Alfred, thanks so much for the reply. The piece is built around an already existing structure, so that is the reasoning behind the dimensions. I can fix those gaps and I appreciate you pointing them out. The difficulty I'm having is with the space between the "ceiling" pieces. It needs to be one continuous "ceiling" over the whole frame. Also the gaps in the frame are not perfectly symmetrical, so I can't figure out how to fill them in either. I'm an engineering student but they don't teach us this stuff! But don't worry this isn't homework 😉

Message 4 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: KatyBradford

Thats one of the problems for beginning engineers/EIT's (engineers in training): experience in applying the training.

When 3D printing don't get locked-in to printing everything in one go:

- Look for things you can design once and print multiple times

- Look for naturally occuring seams where you can break the component into pieces which can be fit together afterwards

- Look for features which can act as registration points to aid fitting parts together so you don't have to add them

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost