Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d model conceptual view - how can I make my text display properly?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
pwk
Advocate
2326 Views, 6 Replies

3d model conceptual view - how can I make my text display properly?

Hi,

I am using AutoCAD 2014 and trying to get started with 3D modeling.  I have created a 3D model by using the Revolve command to sweep a 2D path around an axis.  My 3D model looks sort of like a barbell - a narrow shaft in the middle with two cylindrical weights on each side.  I wanted to put some text on the sides of the weights.  I used the DTEXT command and I made sure the Z coordinate for my text is not "behind" the weight I am trying to label.  I have an Isometric view setup for my 3D model with the Visual Style set to 'Conceptual'.  In this view, my text is "outlined" in the color corresponding to the layer I placed the text on, but it is "filled" with a darker shade.  I can read the text ok on my computer screen, but when I print to my monochrome printer, it is very difficult to read.  I'd like to find out if/how I can make my text appear in the 'Conceptual' Visual Style with the same color for its outline and its fill.  For this particular drawing, I would like these both to be white.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
nestly2
in reply to: pwk

I'll assume this is a TrueTypeFont.

TrueTypeFonts generally aren't well suited for a 3D environment.  Not only does font smoothing not work when TT text is at non-zero elevation, They aren't properly filled except in 2DWireframe visual style.   I'm not sure I understand your intent fully, but you may find better results exploding the text with Express Tools Text Explode (TXTEXP) and "filling" the outline manually with a solid hatch, or by extruding the letters into 3DSolids.

Message 3 of 7
pwk
Advocate
in reply to: nestly2

Hi Nestly2,

Thanks for your response.  Yes, it is a truetype font.  I started my drawing with the acad.dwt template that comes with AutoCAD.  I didn't create or change any text styles after creating this drawing, so my text style is set to "Standard" and when I go to "Manage Text Styles", I can see that this "Standard" Text Style is linked to the TrueType Arial font.  

I am not trying to do anything fancy.  I said my 3D model resembles a barbell, but it is actually just a conceptual diagram representing two wound spools of material mounted on a single shaft, like if you put two rolls of toilet paper on a single shaft to support and unwind them.  The machines I build unwind and rewind spools of material like this.  All I want to do is place labels like "A", "B", "C", and "D" at strategic places on my Isometric View so that they will be readable if I print (even on a monochrome printer).  I have never used the express tools text explode or extruding text into a 3D solid.  I can read up on these things and give them a try, but first I'll ask...considering how basic what I'm trying to do is and the fact that I don't need this to look great (just readable on a printed page), can you recommend another font (or type of font) that I can use that might make my task easier.

Thanks again for your help!

Paul

Message 4 of 7
nestly2

This is what I picture from your description.  The text in the animation is Romans.shx

Barbell.gif

Message 5 of 7
pwk
Advocate

Thanks Nestly2,

That looks great and switching to romans.shx definitely made my text more readable on the printed page.  It's probably already good enough for what I am trying to do, but if possible, I'd like to make the text a little bolder.  The text in your animation looks bloder than mine, even though I used the same font.  I'm just curious if there is a setting I can use to make it look bolder?  I think I've looked in all the obvious places and I can't seem to find anything.

I have attached my actual drawing, if you have time and don't mind taking a quick look at it.

Thanks again,

Paul

Message 6 of 7
nestly2

The reason my text appears to contrast more is because I was using a white drawing background. It's just a diffence in how AutoCAD shades for differnt conditions.  Try changing the layer color for the model, or change the layer color of your text.  I don't think you can bold shx fonts, but I'm really not sure.

Message 7 of 7
pwk
Advocate

Thank you Nestly2,

I'll play around with different layer colors for my model and/or text to see if I can make my text stand out a bit more, but even if I can't, I think what I have now will do the job.

You've been a huge help - thanks again!

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost