Did you mean: 

3D Letters as extruded items

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
4843 Views, 6 Replies

3D Letters as extruded items

I want to place 3d letters into a dwg. I need them to be objects.

What I am doing is using Autodesk's 3rd party program to make IFC's (Fabrication CADMEP). I have to change regular extruded objects by convert3dmodel command. Then I use command IFCE. From there I make a 3D Pdf with BlueBeam. I cannot get Project Managers to download Navisworks freedom and I refuse to use screen shots. I just need text in my 3d pdfs.  

What is the best way/font to make 3D letters and then make those into extruded objects (via explode the like).   

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to place 3d letters into a dwg. I need them to be objects.

What I am doing is using Autodesk's 3rd party program to make IFC's (Fabrication CADMEP). I have to change regular extruded objects by convert3dmodel command. Then I use command IFCE. From there I make a 3D Pdf with BlueBeam. I cannot get Project Managers to download Navisworks freedom and I refuse to use screen shots. I just need text in my 3d pdfs.  

What is the best way/font to make 3D letters and then make those into extruded objects (via explode the like).   

Express Tools>Text>Explode Text   then clean up the results, probably PEDIT and JOIN, then EXTRUDE.

Message 3 of 7
Kent1Cooper

Does this help?  [I happened to know that was there, but I'd be willing to bet there's something similar in these Forums, if you do a Search.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 7
nrz13

I always explode the text, run the REGION command on the text, then the UNION command to merge all the regions together, and finally, EXTRUDE. 

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you all so much. I used pieces of every method listed above. I forgot about Express explode text "TXTEXP" I was using regular explode. 2 of you mentioned. The font I ended up using was “TW Cen MT” and “romand” “Region” was great ‘cause it closed up the holes. Used “union” multiple times until each individual letter is one solid. Thank you all again.
Message 6 of 7
nrz13

Yes, I always use TXTEXP to explode the text.  That wasn't clear in my post, but I didn't even think you could use the regular explode command on text, either.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: nrz13

There used to be a cracking little tool called T2G, downloadable from the Autocad exchange site, unfortunately there isnt a version for 2016 as yet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost