Did you mean: 

3D Issues with Dell T1600 and AutoCAD 2015

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1482 Views, 9 Replies

3D Issues with Dell T1600 and AutoCAD 2015

Hi there,

I am using a Dell Precision Workstation T1600.

Processor: Intel Xeon E31245 3.30GHz (8MB Cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads)

Graphics: 2GB NVIDIA QUADRO K2000

Memory: 16GB (4x 4GB) 1333MHz DDR3

Hard Drive: 500GB (7200RPM)

Display: Dell UltraSharp 23 inch

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

Virus Protector: Sophos

We have recently started working with 3D models and CADWorx.

These models are up to 17MB in file size, and just moving the cursor around is "laggy". Zooming in jittering, and it's generally just not what you'd expect from such a high spec machine.

I recently upgraded from 8GB RAM to 16GB and the Video card from a 512MB NVIDIA NVS 300.

I had read on the internet that people using the QUADRO K2000 were having no problems running 3D models, hence why I purchased it.

And to be honest it's not performing a great deal better.

I have played around with 3DCONFIG and -GRAPHICSCONFIG, turned off aero and extras in Windows, turned off DYNMODE.

I'll be honest in -GRAPHICSCONFIG I don't know what the best settings to use are, I've tried disabling hardware acceleration.

There are 3D settings in Nvidia Control Panel, I have tried all these on low, but no difference really.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you find and install a supported graphics card driver from Autodesk?
16Gig ram is low, AutoCAD does not use Xeon processor power, and 7200rpm drives are not exactly speedy. I would expect "laggy" with a 17mb file honestly.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

pendean, thank you for the response.

This is a certified graphics card, but when I download the driver form the AutoDesk website, it doesn't install. I'm wondering if this is because it is HP branded... I could only purchase PNY or HP branding on the NVIDIA QUADRO K2000.

I no longer get a message in AutoCAD stating the graphics card isn't a certified or compatible card.

What do you mean by "AutoCAD does not use Xeon processor power"..?

Also I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T420, Intel i5-2520M 2.5GHz, 12GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 320GB 7200rpm HDD and working in the same models gives pretty much the same performance...

Maybe it is the Xeon issue you mentioned..?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 10
nrz13

AutoCAD only uses one core, so to AutoCAD, you have a single-core 3.3GHz processor, so that's what Dean means by it not using your Xeon power.  The same thing goes for i-series processors, or any other multi-core processor.

Your memory amount may be okay.  You can run Windows Task Manager while AutoCAD is bogged down to see how much memory you have left.  If you do use more than 16GB of RAM, then Windows will start writing virtual memory data to your slow hard drive, which will slow things down a lot.

However, my guess is that AutoCAD 2015 isn't using your dedicated card because 2015 is a lot trickier than previous versions (enter GRAPHICSCONFIG, no dash, to see).  The only sure way I've seen to get AutoCAD to use your dedicated graphics is to disable your onboard graphics (P3000 for you) in the BIOS.  Or use AutoCAD 2014, which is less laggy in general.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 5 of 10
jggerth

AutoCAD is mostly a single-threaded application that takes no advantage of multiple cores.  So running a 'workstation' with a Xeon processor, and the requisite (more expesive) ECC RAM, is givbing Dell and Intel you money for no discernable benefit,

that's the Xeon issue.

....there are a few elements in Acad that do use multiple threads, but it's a minor factor - unless everything you do is MText or rendering

Message 6 of 10
dgorsman

Your hardware should be sufficient for use with CADWorx, AutoCAD 2015 graphics driver issues aside.  17 MB is big for a CADWorx model.  Split it up into XREFs for better performance, both with the computer and with users.  If you are trying to run with a shaded visual style (e.g. "Conceptual") use 2D wireframe instead - very few video cards perform well in realtime with the shaded views.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: nrz13

All,

Thank you for your replies.

I am currently, in discussion with Dell on how to disable on board graphics as I don't have the option in my BIOS.

The only BIOS setting for Video is "Multi Monitor". I have upgraded my BIOS to latest, but it still gives the same options.

Could anyone tell me if the following spec machine would run AutoCAD 2015 any better:

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon Quad-Core W3520 (2.66GHz, 8MB L2, 1066MHz)

16GB PC3-10600E 1333 MHZ ECC DIMM

Quadro FX 1800 or Quadro K2000 2GB

Windows 7 x64

Thank you all.

Message 8 of 10
jggerth

First thing -- any PC that says "Xeon" and "ECC" is throwing money straight down the toilet with a loud flushing sound.

There's NO reason with Acad to run Xeon instead of a fast i7 or i5 processor -- margins are better so vendors push them as 'workstations' regardless of the application's ability to benefit.

And, with a Xeon process you have to run ECC RAM, which is much more expensive, and again -- offers zero benefit to CAD work or rendering.

Save that for a mission-critical server running the corporate databse 24x7 serving a couple of hundred users.... 

Verify with HP that their machines enable you to disable the onboard graphics completely in BIOS.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

JGerth,

Thanks for the response.

The reason I mentioned the HP Z400 is because the HP Nvidia Quadro K2000 I have apparently has confirmed compatability with HP Z400 machines.

And I managed to find that Z400 for £290, so even though it has a pointless Xeon and ECC RAM, they should still do a good job correct..?

To be honest my current T1600 is a better spec, it's just whether the HP Nvidia Quadro K2000 isn't completely compatible with it.

I still cannot find an option for disabling onboard graphics for the T1600, but looking in 3DCONFIG like nrz13 mentioned, it does detail the Quadro K2000.

I have posted the Tuner Log at the end of this post, and also attached it.

Also I plugged another monitor into the onboard VGA slot, but nothing displayed, it wasn't displayed in "Screen Resolution" options in windows, and also the Quadro K2000 was the only display adapter showing up in device manager...

JGerth, what is the spec of your AutoCAD 2015 machine..?

Thanks again for your time and response.

Tuner Log:

Card name: NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Driver version: 9.18.13.1166
Tuning Date: 08/01/2015
Virtual device: Dx11 (Hardware)
The card and driver meets the recommended requirement.

Display Adapters:
NVIDIA Quadro K2000 (Primary)
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
RDPDD Chained DD
RDP Encoder Mirror Driver
RDP Reflector Display Driver

Certification:
Hardware Available True
Hardware Recommended False
Status 1
Hardware ID 2
Hardware Feature Level 50
Software Feature Level 50
Failed Devices D3D11

General Options:
Adaptive Degradation True
Discard Backfaces True
Dynamic Tessellation False
Generate Vertex Normals False
Handedness Right
Maximum LODs 6
Redraw on Window Expose True
Surface Tessellation Tolerance 92
Transparency LowQuality

Additional System Information:
ComputerSystem
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Precision T1600
NumberOfProcessors 1
TotalPhysicalMemory 17134796800

Processor
MaxClockSpeed 3301
Name Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31245 @ 3.30GHz
NumberOfCores 4
NumberOfLogicalProcessors 8
Revision 10759

OperatingSystem
Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional |C:\Windows|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition3
OSLanguage 1033
ServicePackMajorVersion 1
ServicePackMinorVersion 0
TotalSwapSpaceSize
TotalVirtualMemorySize 33464536
Version 6.1.7601

DiskDrive
Model WDC WD5000AAKX-753CA1
Name \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
Size 500105249280

DesktopMonitor
MonitorManufacturer Dell Inc.
MonitorType Dell P2312H (Digital)
Name Dell P2312H (Digital)
ScreenHeight 1080
ScreenWidth 1920

DisplayConfiguration
DeviceName NVIDIA Quadro K2000
DisplayFrequency 60
DriverVersion
PelsHeight 768
PelsWidth 1024

VideoController
AdapterDACType Integrated RAMDAC
AdapterRAM 2147483648
ConfigManagerErrorCode 0
CurrentHorizontalResolution 1920
CurrentVerticalResolution 1080
DriverDate 20130514000000.000000-000
DriverVersion 9.18.13.1166
InstalledDisplayDrivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Name NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Status OK
TimeOfLastReset
VideoArchitecture 5
VideoModeDescription 1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors

Process Information:
Loaded ARX and CRX Modules
acapp.arx
acapp.crx
acautoloader.arx
acgsconfig.arx
acgsconfig.crx
accloudconnect.crx
acvmtools.crx
vl.crx
aclaunchnfw.arx
acsign.arx
acetutil.arx
vl.arx
acconnectwebservices.arx
acjscorestub.crx
acdim.arx
acdim.crx
AcFdUi.arx
acexperience.arx
acpublish.crx
acismui.arx
acismui.crx
acdgnlsdraw.crx
acvmtools.arx

Effects:
ACAD_LineSmoothing supported turned on
ACAD_PerPixelLighting supported turned on
ACAD_AdvancedMaterial supported turned on
ACAD_FullShadows supported turned on
ACAD_TextureCompression supported turned off

Message 10 of 10
jggerth

My 2015 box is from Xi Computers, running an Asus motherboard, last years i7 processor, 24 Gb RAM, and an AMD FirePro card w/ 2Gb RAM.  Nothing too fancy, but works very well.  Much better than the office PoS I'm on at work.  The only thing i want to change on it is adding a 500Gb SSD for the main drive.

Unless you're wedded to HP or Dell, look into Xi.  Unlike Dell, Lenovo, or HP -- their people at least know how to spell CAD....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost