Did you mean: 

3d dimensioning

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
925 Views, 4 Replies

3d dimensioning

I've made a simple rectangular prism using the Box selection under 3d Tools. After switching to Layout, I select Annotate and Aligned Dimension and begin. I'm able to correctly dimension the length and depth (in the x and y planes), but not the height. As you can see from my attached drawing the height dimension is measuring something other than what I want. The other thing I need to learn to control is where the extension lines originate. Usually I want the lines to originate off the bottom of the prism but sometimes they originate off the top. Any help with these issures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
PatrickHughes
in reply to: Anonymous

Mike,

AutoCAD will always place dimensions on the x-y plane and at the z elevation of 0. So in your example drawing, adjust your UCS to the face you want to dimension then dimension as you see fit.

Patrick Hughes

Engineered Design Solutions
Developer of CadTempo - Cad Time Tracking
www.cadtempo.com
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: PatrickHughes

Patrick,
Thanks for the help.
Mike
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

I'm having a dimensioning problem when dimensioning in 3d. I am making piping spool sheets and often need to reference the location of the pipe to the closest wall or column. As you can see by my example, I'm having difficulty getting the extension and dimension lines to line up with my object lines. I'm attempting to place the measurement from the pipe to the north wall.  I messed around with the USC settings but had no luck.

Thanks

Mike

Message 5 of 5
PatrickHughes

I should set my notification to receive email for replies. Sorry I didn't see this Mike hopefully you've got it sorted out. If not, and you still need to address the problem, along with stting the UCS to the orientation of the desired view you must also set the origin of the UCS to the Z height of the feature you wish to dimension because AutoCAD will place dimensions at Z = 0 of the current UCS.

Patrick Hughes

Engineered Design Solutions
Developer of CadTempo - Cad Time Tracking
www.cadtempo.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost