AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Contributor
diesellam
Message 1 of 7 (652 Views)

2d section

652 Views, 6 Replies
08-28-2012 09:45 AM

I tried to create a 2d section of a 3d dwg file (imported from Revit)

It kept giving me a message "There are no solids or surfaces that can be projected."

What is the reason of it?  It's a 3d dwg file exported from Revit.

Also, can you generate a 2d section thru the xref.

Thanks in advance.

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 7 (647 Views)

Re: 2d section

08-28-2012 10:15 AM in reply to: diesellam

Yes can generate 2d section through xref.

Valued Mentor
hardin
Message 3 of 7 (625 Views)

08-28-2012 12:19 PM in reply to: diesellam

It depends how you do it and what you want to do.

SOLPROF or FLATSHOT will only work with 3D SOLIDS.

Cutting sections in paperspace with the LAYOUT tools works with solids, blocks of solids, and Inventor models, but not meshes.

Using 3DCLIP will work with anything! Solids, xrefs, blocks, etc.

diesellam
Message 4 of 7 (598 Views)

08-29-2012 02:40 PM in reply to: hardin

OK, see attached file.

I used the SECTIONPLANE and it kept giving me that message.

I tried to use the 3DCLIP and adjust the clipping plane.  How come it's always shonwan as top and bottom plane, but not front and back plane?  All I want is to cut a 2d section through the hallway (the horizontal white line)

Valued Mentor
hardin
Message 5 of 7 (592 Views)

08-29-2012 02:47 PM in reply to: diesellam

The 3DCLIP will project a view 90 degrees to whatever view you are currently looking at.

So, if you are in a viewport and looking at the front view, the 3DCLIP camera will present a top view for you to adjust the front and back planes on. If your viewport is looking at the top, then the 3DCLIP camera will show a view from the back (I think) and you still have the 'front' and 'back' cutting planes. It's aggravating that it's always upside down, but you get used to it. You can zoom in and out of the 3DCLIP camera view as you would a normal window. I guess you've figured out that it's a live section cut, so that as you adjust the front and back planes, you see things dissappear and appear in the viewport. That is, if you have turned on the front and back clipping planes. I don't have a chance right now to look at the zip file you uploaded, but will when I can.

diesellam
Message 6 of 7 (519 Views)

09-14-2012 10:33 AM in reply to: hardin

I'm still waiting for the response, any new suggestions I greatly appreicate in advance.  Thanks.

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 7 of 7 (499 Views)

09-14-2012 04:49 PM in reply to: diesellam

Simple selection process with properties palette open would tell you that Revit created a system of polyface meshes and block references, not solids.  So none of the following will work: flatshot, solview, soldraw, viewbase sectionplane.

You can recreate the solids in AutoCAD form by using the box command to snap onto the existing 3d geometry.  You could also use Revit to export the sections first (best choices IMO).  If all you need is a visual representation, erase what you don't need for the view, save it as another drawing and use coordinate systems and viewstyles to get what you want to see.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.