Did you mean: 

2D drawing becoming 3D

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
macreadhead
2421 Views, 4 Replies

2D drawing becoming 3D

Morning all,

Im having this odd issue with AutoCAD that i cant seem to find the solution to. Everytime i draw anything in 2d, it is adding depth to the line/circle/pline etc without any sort of indication. The only reason i noticed this was happening was when i attempted to align something, and i could see the circles i had drawn in a block(happening with blocks and normal lines) were actually cylinders, beacuse the entire piece would shift in the zy/zx planes. None of these items state that they are 3d, and i cant select the "Z" portion of the lines, or even measure their height. I can use flatten, to remove this height from EVERYTHING i draw, but i dont want to have to go back and do that at the end of each day...

This is driving me nuts, has anyone ever seen this/know how to turn it off?

Thanks!

Angled View

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rkmcswain
in reply to: macreadhead

What are your current properties set to?
With NOTHING selected, open the Properties palette and examine the Thickness property? Is it 0.0? (This is = the sysvar THICKNESS)
Type in ELEVATION? What is that set to?
Type in OSNAPZ? What is that set to?

A drawing contains many different default values that affect how objects are created. For example, color, layer, textstyle, dimstyle, etc.

Thickness, Elevation, etc. are just others.

If Thickness is the problem, then you can select the objects and change this property to 0.0

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 5
macreadhead
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for the reply.

I had OSNAPZ to 1 to combat the situation, and elevations were showing 0(which was why i was confused).

It ended up being thickneess,(after comparing system variables with a new drawing) which was a variable that nobody in my office had heard of, since none of our work is 3d.

ill be doing change->all->t->0 to remove the thickness.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
berkeozkok
in reply to: rkmcswain

I have same problem on Autocad for Mac 2014. I can't measure anything due to this problem. Also when I draw a line it becomes sloping. I tried OSNAPZ, ELEVATION and THICKNESS; these aren't working for me. Is there a another solve for this problem?

screenshot

Message 5 of 5
pendean
in reply to: berkeozkok

You need to 'flatten' your objects, they need to be on the same plane in order for you to use those 2D commands.

But the MAC version does not have Express Tools: visit the MAC specific forum for AutoCAD here and look around, I believe workarounds have ben posted there (or post there and ask) http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac/ct-p/3011

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost