Did you mean: 

2015 Single Text/Paper Space issue

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
rgorman
741 Views, 14 Replies

2015 Single Text/Paper Space issue

As  you can see below, When in PAPER SPACE only, creating a NEW single text entity causes this blackout to appear following along with the letters while typing. It will follow along for however many lines you type until you are finished. Once finished, you can enter or move to a new start point and the text then appears normally. Unfortunately, you cannot see if you made a mistake along the way, so it's VERY inconvenient. Editing is fine, as well as model space- I thought it might be some background color setting, but I can't find any related topics in the Help section. NO issues with MTEXT. 

Thanks in advance for any tips or possible causes.

Ray Gorman

Papertext.png

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rkmcswain
in reply to: rgorman

As a test, turn off hardware acceleration (the solid blue circle icon, 4th from the right, in the bottom tray area) and try again.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 15
rgorman
in reply to: rkmcswain

No luck... Same issue. Another suggestion was to try and set PS to "Black". Fixed the black blob issue... except it made a white blob issue:

blkbkgnd.png

Message 4 of 15
rgorman

Apparently, the color of the blob is layer dependant. But there is an oddity- a few DWG's seem to be unaffected by this. Trying to track the commonality between those files. Whether it's age of file or layer settings or something.

laydepend.png

Message 5 of 15
bryce.thelin

Hi Ray,

Were you able to figure out what the problem was? Could you maybe attach a sample file to this thread if you think the problem is file specific?

Do you have any add-ons, plug-ins, or scripts running in AutoCAD? If so, disable or uninstall them to see if that fixes the problem.

Since it seems like a type of display oddity, I wonder if making AutoCAD 2015 use DirectX 9 will solve it. Here are the steps:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/How-to-make-AutoCAD-run-with-DirectX-9

Or maybe you need to reset AutoCAD to defaults?

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 6 of 15
rgorman
in reply to: bryce.thelin

At the moment, after further poking around, It happens for MOST DWG files. There are a couple of files where it does NOT happen. After doing the repairs/re-installs I tried with no modifications, custom scripts, etc... same issue.

As for attaching files- I found that there are two Autocad Sample files that illustrate the problem. The Mechanical-Multileaders.dwg has the issue, while the Mechanical-Text and Tables.dwg does not.

As for getting the DirectX 9 thing, how would I get it back to 11 if that doesn't work?

Message 7 of 15
bryce.thelin

Thanks for attaching those files. I reproduced the problem with them, and with my own sample files. I found a way around the issue. Change the variable TEXTED to 1.

There seems to be a code change in default behavior with how text coloring and highlighting works in AutoCAD 2015 vs. 2014. I can't seem to find any variables to change other than TEXTED that would affect this though.

Oh, and to make AutoCAD go back to using DirectX 11, just delete the GS_DEVICE system variable.

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 8 of 15
rgorman
in reply to: bryce.thelin

THAT was the setting I couldn't remember. Okay- that solved that particular issue, but it has taken away the WYSIWYG in place editing. I suppose that is the tradeoff to being able to actually see what you're typing. I can't believe I didn't see that while beta testing.

thanks

Message 9 of 15
rgorman

Just a follow up to the suggestion to swap back to the DirectX9. Did NOT help the original issue. 

Message 10 of 15
charamboure

I have the same issue; has anybody found a way to be able to see the text while editing AND be able to edit text in place? If I set dtexted to 1 I can see the text in paperspace but have to edit it in a separate box. 0 and 2 setting allow me to edit in place but can't see the text in paperspace (see a solid color box). Is this a bug? I have 2015 AutoCAD; haven't noticed this issue until recently... 

Message 11 of 15
rgorman
in reply to: charamboure

I THINK the fix was upgrading to 2016.. I seem to remember it NOT being an issue in the beta I was using (Release Candidate). The dtexted thing was kind of an "okay" fix for what it did. 

Message 12 of 15
charamboure

Thank you rgorman. I guess I'll have to upgrade to 2016 after all...!
I'm puzzled; I just opened some older drawings and I don't have that issue there; texted is set at 2 and I can both see what I type in paperspace and edit the text in place. There must be some other variable I can't figure out that I accidentally changed somewhere along the way...
Message 13 of 15
rgorman

As I mentioned, I had the same scenario. Some older DWG's created in older versions don't seem to be affected. Just never botherd to trace WHICH version was compatible last. Just shrugged my shoulders and soldiered on..

Message 14 of 15
sthompson1021

What I have found is that I only have the problem if I change the VP color for a layout in the layer properties manager. If I change it in one layout, it will affect all the layouts in the dwg. TEXTED set to 1 is a workaround but I prefer to keep it at 2. I can confirm that 2016 does not have the problem but I'm still using 2014 cause my video card doesn't play nice with 2016.

Message 15 of 15
charamboure
in reply to: sthompson1021

That's it! I tested it by removing viewport color overrides and the annoying box making text unreadable went away. That explains why it happens in some drawings only.  Thank you sthompson1021; mystery resolved!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost