Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 - Unknown command results in massive lag....

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
darawork
3983 Views, 21 Replies

2014 - Unknown command results in massive lag....

Hi all,

This can best be demonstrated with a video:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zvq113 (.AVI video 3.42mb)

Basically, when I accidentally input a typo into the command line there is a massive lag before AutoCad comes back to life. Nearly three seconds.

This happens on our AutoCad 2014 LT installations too.

I have all the predictive/corrective command line features turned off.

I have also uninstalled 360 and online content services, prior to the problem, to no avail.

Our office internet is proxied, and there are no ports opened for any Autodesk products.

Is it trying to search 'online' help for the command typo or something?

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? It's losing us valuable seconds / minutes / days / weeks / months, depending on how you look at it.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: darawork

Hi,

have you tried to disable the commandline options like "AutoCorrect", "Search ..."?

2013-07-04 20-17-52.png

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 22
maxim_k
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

>>>I have all the predictive/corrective command line features turned off.<<<
This looks like not AutoCorrect problem, as OP already turned it off.

@darawork - Do you have such delay even if you type correct command name?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 4 of 22
rkmcswain

Test this way: Unplug all wired network connections and disable all WiFi connections, so there is NO network connections at all

Then fire up AutoCAD and see if it acts the same.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 22
darawork

Typing some commands results in lag too, usually commands that invoke dialogue boxes for Autocad 2014.

Another user here with LT says the 'matchprop' command takes ages to start up, amongst others.

Strangely though, after the first initial lag when the command is first used in a session.... it starts up quicker the next time we use it. Like it is now preloaded into memory and can be invoked quicker. This happens with some express tool commands, like layfrz or others.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 6 of 22
darawork
in reply to: rkmcswain

"Test this way: Unplug all wired network connections and disable all WiFi connections, so there is NO network connections at all" -  rkmcswain

Amazingly, this actually works!

Commands start up quickly and typos result in an instant 'unknown command' reply. Problem sorted...... nearly;

I still need access to my work network! 😕

So..... how do I fix this? I wonder if adding new firewall rules would work? Or an option in AutoCad to disable online snooping for commands. Maybe a program like ZoneAlarm or something? Even a registry hack?

As stated before, I have uninstalled 360 and online content service. What else would be checking for online content?

Unplugging the network cable fixes it!?! That's messed up eh?

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 7 of 22
darawork

Just thought to include a screengrab of the Autodesk Products installed at the time of installation of AutoCad 2014.

The list is sorted by installation date.

I have also included a screengrab of all the AutoDesk software installed, sorted by publisher.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 8 of 22
maxim_k

Just a thought. What if to try to download and install Off-line Help documentation, then uncheck "Use online help content when available" (or something like this, don't remember exact name) in AutoCAD options.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 9 of 22
darawork

Tried that, no luck. Still lags.

Here is a screenshot of a list of Autodesk processes (highlighted in blue) and their port accesses. I've blanked out a few sensitive bits.

The only thing I think is accessing for AutoCad 2014 is WSCommCntr4.exe

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 10 of 22
darawork

I have stopped WSCommCntr4.exe from loading into memory, by disabling InfoCenter.

www.cad-notes.com/2012/12/speed-up-autocad-configuration/

No luck, autocad still lagging.

Plugging the network cable out still seems to be the only way to speed AutoCad up.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 11 of 22
rkmcswain

@darawork wrote:

Amazingly, this actually works!

Commands start up quickly and typos result in an instant 'unknown command' reply. Problem sorted...... nearly;

I still need access to my work network! 😕

So..... how do I fix this?

The best way I can explain this is that AutoCAD is looking for something out there in the world (an Internet URL, an internal network path, etc, etc.) that it can't find. Or to be more specific, AutoCAD is requesting this data from the O/S, who doesn't know when to give up looking - and that hangs up AutoCAD. Unless there is no network connection present, and then the O/S knows not to "look".

Years ago I had a laptop at work. When I took it home and tried to use AutoCAD, it was looking for several paths that did not exist on my home network, and AutoCAD behaved the same way you described. 

Grab Process Monitor and use the techniques described here (FileMon in the article was replaced by Process Monitor) - this may help you discover what the O/S is looking for that it can't find when it detects a network connection.

Message 12 of 22
maxim_k

You may also review first tab in AutoCAD options dialog (support file search path, etc.): are there something that AutoCAD can look for, but can not find?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 22
darawork

Ok, here is the .PML logfile. (Native Process Monitor file): http://www.sendspace.com/file/4bsmzp

Rkmcswain, can you spot anything in there unusual?

I've filtered to display 'acad.exe' results.

I've also filtered out:

Result=SUCCESS

Path Contains=XREFSTATE

Path Contains=INPUTSEARCHOPTIONFLAGS

Path Contains=CONTENTTYPEORDER

These terms were repeating in a constant loop.

The reasoning behind filtering out SUCCESS was that I only wanted to see errors.

Thanks 🙂

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 14 of 22
darawork

Ok, to cut down the logfile size and to make results more meaningfull I've filtered all except:

Path <begins with> \\

This shows me all the hits when Acad.exe is looking on Network access.

This list makes a lot more sense, and is only about 100 entries.

It looks like it may well be something to do with File Location settings.

It's querying my network share for Aec*.ARX and Aec*.DBX files.

?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rpxiy1 (Log file in .PML format)

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 15 of 22
darawork
in reply to: maxim_k

@ Maxim_k: I checked the File Location paths, they look alright. Nothing is pointing to a network location either. Thanks anyway.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 16 of 22
dgorsman

AEC is vertical content - Civil3D, Architecture, Mechanical, and the like.  As a guess, I suspect its finding AEC objects (not necessarily visible entities), and is trying to automatically download appropriate object enablers.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 17 of 22
darawork

Ok I think I've figured it out (with help from forum members).

We moved office a few weeks ago and IT never moved our user accounts to the new servers.

Our user accounts are still 15miles away in the old office servers.

Those distant user accounts contain the folder path /appdata/roaming/autodesk/ etc...

AutoCad is checking those network locations for Aec*.ARX's and .DBX's for command names, 15 miles away, every time I type a typo or access certain commands.

I'll get the IT dept to move our user accounts to the new local servers and see if that fixes the lagginess.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 18 of 22
rkmcswain

@darawork wrote:

Path Contains=XREFSTATE

These terms were repeating in a constant loop.

Oh yeah, the XREFSTATE thing is a whole other story. It doesn't *seem* to cause any lag, but "acad" checking for this registry key every ±0.26 seconds sure isn't helping anything.

See the link below for how to "fix" that particular issue.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?139634-XREFSTATE

Message 19 of 22
darawork

User accounts moved locally, problem still not fixed.

AutoCad is still lagging, it's a bit better... but not the way it should be.

See screenshot below:

Why is Acad.exe quirying .ARX, .DBX, .CUIX and .DLL files in network locations where they do not normally reside?

The paths for support file locations are all set to local 'C:' in the /options/files tab.

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 20 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Why is Acad.exe quirying .ARX, .DBX, .CUIX and .DLL files in network locations where they do not normally reside?

Maybe because the files that are found are not compatible or at least not readable?
I had a similar problem ("not compatible") at one of our customers who copied files from a 32bit version to a 64bit installation.

If you disconnect your network cable makes it faster ... as it has not to scan that many files, but the functions are missed then in AutoCAD, so maybe crashing.

That brings me to the idea: have you "migrated" your settings when you started AutoCAD first?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost