Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014: "Cannot offset that object". Overkill command didn't work

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cam01096
1741 Views, 5 Replies

2014: "Cannot offset that object". Overkill command didn't work

The polyline doesn't have any arcs or circles, not does it have any points with a zero width. I tried exploding it then remaking it as a polyline and it still gave me the same error. Why can't it just do it, for christ sake, it gives a visualisation of exactly where the line is to go but just says "nah" and doesn't do it. What a joke.

The polyline is made of 12 straight lines, all at right angles to each other. It's just the centreline of a building foundation, that I'm offsetting to make foundations.

"Draw it again" is not an acceptable solution.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: cam01096

Post a sample DWG with the condition and problem present, put notes in the file so we can replicate the issue.

Your 'words' alone don't allow us to replicate the exact problem.
Message 3 of 6
nestly2

Is the object perhaps a 3DPolyline and not a 2DPolyline?  LINK

Message 4 of 6
cam01096
in reply to: nestly2

I tried to flatten the line after finally finding the "express" tools (on Classic menu they're on the far right of the File, Open etc. options at the top of the autocad window), but nothing happened really. Here's the command line log:

Command:
Command: O
OFFSET
Current settings: Erase source=No Layer=Source OFFSETGAPTYPE=0
Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <0.0500>: .0625

Specify point on side to offset or [Exit/Multiple/Undo] <Exit>:
Cannot offset that object.
Select object to offset or [Exit/Undo] <Exit>: *Cancel*

Command:
Command:
Command:
Command: _properties
Command:
Command: *Cancel*

Command:
OFFSET
Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <0.0625>:

Command:
Command: *Cancel*

Command: Specify opposite corner or [Fence/WPolygon/CPolygon]:
Command:
Command:
Command:
Command: Flatten
Initializing...
Select objects to convert to 2d...1 found

Remove hidden lines? <No>: y

No translatable objects.

Command: _u GROUP (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression) (Lisp Expression)
Command:
Command:
Command: Flatten
Select objects to convert to 2d...1 found

Remove hidden lines? <Yes>: n

Command:
Command: oi
Unknown command "OI". Press F1 for help.

OFFSET
Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] <0.0625>:

Still having the same problem. Please find attached the properties of the polyline I'm trying to offset. usually there is a Z axis co-ordinate values in that box, ahich I then change to 0 to 'flatten' the polyline, then I can measure along it and stuff using the tooltips windows. Not this time though.

The thing is, if I draw the EXACT SAME polyline again, it will let me offset it (most of the time).. I'm just drawing centrelines on building foundations, then offsetting them to make the foundation lines, and AutoCAD can't hack it, but only on one or two house plots it seems.

To the "expert elite": I would upload the drawing, of an active commercial project, but I would like to keep my job. I'm afraid this is all the information I can provide, other than the system specs of my PC (it's windows 7, i5 4590S @ 3GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz, Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics, 2 monitors, 500GB HDD 5400rpm).

Seeing as there are other threads with the same issue, surely there's something that can help?

Message 5 of 6
nestly2

cam01096 wrote:

To the "expert elite": I would upload the drawing, of an active commercial project, but I would like to keep my job....

If you use WBLOCK command, you can export only the object(s) you're having trouble with to a new "clean" drawing which will contain no proprietary information about the source drawing (except the Layer names of the exported objects, which you can change if needed)
Message 6 of 6
pendean

As a test, EXPLODE this "polyline" the use LIST command, select this "polyline", what does AutoCAD report exactly? First set UNITS precision to show as many decimal points as possible (1/256 should do). PROPERTIES isn't the best tool somethime to diagnose a problem.

Post the results here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost