Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting a block

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
433 Views, 11 Replies

Inserting a block

Whenever i insert a block on my laptop it doesnt show a preview or when the block has attributes and i insert it, the edit attributes meau doesnt pop up like it should. I know that the block is made correctly becuase when i open the same file on another computer and insert the block with attributes the edit attributes menu does pop up. Can anyone tell me why it doesnt pop up on my laptop? Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dmfrazier
in reply to: Anonymous

On the machine where it isn't working, set ATTDIA to 1 (On).

(Not sure about the preview issue.)

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: dmfrazier

ATTDIA was already set to 1, so unfortunatly this didnt fix any of the problems, got any other idea with what might be wrong, thanks

Message 4 of 12
Patchy

or you can try ATTDISP variable

Message 5 of 12
dmfrazier

Sure do...

1. Maybe ATTREQ is set to 0.

2. Perhaps the attributes in the block are pre-set?

3. Maybe you're inserting the block exploded? 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

none of these things worked, Thanks

Message 7 of 12
Patchy

Is that block Anotative block?

Message 8 of 12
dmfrazier

You're welcome, but I'd feel a lot better if one of those things had worked...Smiley Wink

Since you can't ship the notebook off to us, please post a copy of a DWG containing a block (reference or insert) that behaves as you've described, just to help definitively rule out the things we've already guessed at.

Also, please add more info, such as AutoCAD version, OS, etc.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

heres the DWG, it happens when i try to insert any of the blocks. the thing that i dont understand is that when i open this exact file it works perfectly on my friends desktop, then when i open it on my laptop, the problem occurs. We've compared all the desktop and laptops settings that you've mentioned and they all match up. My laptop is running windows 8, and im using AutoCAD 2014. Thanks, and to patchy, The block isnt annotative.

For whatever reason it wouldnt let me upload the file here so youll have to download it from this link. sorry

https://www.mediafire.com/?8mjyr7g5j9fuem5

Message 10 of 12
dmfrazier

(Edit: For future reference, you might avoid problems with attaching/uploading if you ZIP the file or files first.)

When I set ATTDIA=1 and ATTREQ=1, I am prompted for attribute values when inserting the following blocks:

BDR11x17mm-12

Beam1

BEAM2

BEAM3

CLABEL

Column

RCOLUMN

The other blocks (which appear to be border/titleblocks) do not have attributes.

So, if this is what you would expect (and matches what happens on the other machines), it appears there's nothing wrong with the DWG or the blocks.

The two issues (the lack of preview and attribute prompting) may be symptoms of an error that occurred during installation, so a repair or re-install would be where I would go next.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

The blocks you mentioned are the only ones with attributes, im sorry i forgot to mention the others do not have attributes, so everything seems to be working correctly for you, the same way it does on my friends computer. ill try and re-intall my Autocad and go from there. Thanks

Message 12 of 12
GrantsPirate

For the problem where the blocks don't show - make sure the INSUNITS variable is set to 4 on your laptop in the drawing you are working on at the time.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost