Did you mean: 

Incompatible video card Intel HD graphics 5500

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dfadmin
20386 Views, 7 Replies

Incompatible video card Intel HD graphics 5500

We have purchased two laptops HP ZBook 15U with Intel HD Graphics 5500 video cards and I had to configure both of them to run with the /nohardware switch on the shortcuts. Is there a list of compatible video cards or will this card ever be supported? Exactly how is using the /nohardware switch going to change the end user experience. One laptop is running AutoCAD LT the other Product Design suite premium. 

Thanks

Quentin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ampster401
in reply to: dfadmin

I haven't found that hardware acceleration should be enabled or disabled - depending on exact hardware. Having it enabled works for some but having it disabled works for others - on the same hardware. But start here, Acad LT system requirements http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Syst... Product Design Suite system requirements http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/product-design-suite/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcart...
Message 3 of 8
pendean

Intel HD video cards are one of the lowest grades of video cards (think cheap house wine vs. ordering from the wine menu): hopefully the rest of the hardware on those laptops can speed things up, Autodesk doesn't write drivers for those generic 'house' cards.

load that software on those laptops and experiment to find out the answers to your questions.
Message 4 of 8
jggerth
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
Intel HD video cards are one of the lowest grades of video cards (think cheap house wine vs. ordering from the wine menu): hopefully the rest of the hardware on those laptops can speed things up, Autodesk doesn't write drivers for those generic 'house' cards.

load that software on those laptops and experiment to find out the answers to your questions.

Once upon a time, that assessment of Intel's on-board video was very true.  However, although autodesk seems to have not noticed, the lastest couple of generations on Intel processors (Haswell, Broadwel) have extremely good video capabilities -- equal to or better than a two or three yeard old add-on card.

Message 5 of 8
pendean
in reply to: jggerth

>>...I had to configure both of them to run with the /nohardware switch on the shortcuts....<<

While I agree in general @JGerth about the improvements from Intel, the fact that the OP have to kick all their software into /nohardware startups to run them tells me the improvements with Autodesk software aren't there yet.
Message 6 of 8
dfadmin

Thanks for all the replies... I am working with our hardware vendor to see if the laptops are available with better video cards. 

Message 7 of 8
m_kingdon

We have 2 computers of the same specification in the office, the only difference is one has a dedicated video card (about £200 extra) and the other has Intel HD on-board graphics (which is the computer I use).

I have noticed a big difference in the performance when working with medium to large drawings, especially with hatching and xrefs. My computer struggles badly and becomes slow, trying to do drawing work on it is a miserable and frustrating experience. My advice would be stay the hell away from Intel HD graphics unless all your drawings are going to be less than 2MB.

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

Quite right.  Technology marches forward, quickly obsoleting comfortable assumptions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost