Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting block names in the block file list in 2016?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
7171 Views, 12 Replies

Deleting block names in the block file list in 2016?

Hello all,

. . . . Here is another newbie question. I want to start over on my arrays and blocks. I am still having a lot of problems with setting them up. When I select 'Block Edit' I receive a file list of the existing blocks. I want to start over and delete these blocks from just one of my drawings. How do I do this? Is there a way that I can choose which blocks to delete? I don't want to effect the blocks that I have in a couple of other drawings. Someone mentioned the 'Purge' command but it made no sense to me.

Thanks,

rich!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Purge removes items that are defined in a drawing but don't actually have objects or entities that are being used. For instance, you can create a layer but if there is nothing on it then it can be purged. So, to purge a block from your drawing it could be defined in the drawing but without it being inserted in the drawing as an object. Does this help?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

John,
. . . . I understand what you are saying but how do I use it? Can I go in to the block file list and delete the names of blocks that I don't want any more?
Thanks,
rich!
@john.vellek wrote:

Hi @Anonymous,

Purge removes items that are defined in a drawing but don't actually have objects or entities that are being used. For instance, you can create a layer but if there is nothing on it then it can be purged. So, to purge a block from your drawing it could be defined in the drawing but without it being inserted in the drawing as an object. Does this help?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

John,
. . . . Can I just go to where the block files are stored and delete them?
Thanks,
rich!
@john.vellek wrote:

Hi @Anonymous,

Message 5 of 13
imadHabash

Hi,

@Anonymous wrote ( . . Can I just go to where the block files are stored and delete them? )  the answer is NO . you have to make sure that the blocks that you don't need them have no exist in your drawing then by PURGE command autocad automatically will erase them.

all what you have to do when you type the command purge press purge all icon.

Good Luck..

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Imadhabash,
. . . . OK, but how do I use the 'Purge' command?
Thanks,
rich!
@imadHabash wrote:

Hi,

@Anonymous wrote ( . . Can I just go to where the block files are stored and delete them? )  the answer is NO . you have to make sure that the blocks that you don't need them have no exist in your drawing then by PURGE command autocad automatically will erase them.

all what you have to do when you type the command purge press purge all icon.

Good Luck..

Message 7 of 13
imadHabash

Hi,

follow the red bold text...BUT i want to remind you that if do you want to delete the unwanted block names from your block list, you have to erase every unwanted block fro m your drawing.

Command: -PU -PURGE
Enter type of unused objects to purge [Blocks/DEtailviewstyles/Dimstyles/Groups/LAyers/LTypes/MAterials/MUltileaderstyles/Plotstyles/SHapes/textSTyles/Mlinestyles/SEctionviewstyles/Tablestyles/Visualstyles/Regapps/Zero-length geometry/Empty text objects/Orphaned data/All]: all

Enter name(s) to purge <*>: *
Verify each name to be purged? [Yes/No] <Y>: n

Message 8 of 13
dishithmc

Dear Mr. mechanic_2

Please find the screen cast prepared for you in deleting the unused blocks from your drawing.

Hope this could help you out.

Regards

Di****h

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Imadhabash,
. . . . I used purge and it worked. I then created a new block. It did not show up in the drawing. Also when I use 'Block Edit' the new block shows up in the file list. I selected it. When I then click on the displayed block I don't get the arrows for changing the block sizes. Also the menu does not change to the new one that allows you to change the attributes of the block. What did I do wrong?
Thanks,
rich!
@imadHabash wrote:

Hi,

follow the red bold text...BUT i want to remind you that if do you want to delete the unwanted block names from your block list, you have to erase every unwanted block fro m your drawing.

Command: -PU -PURGE
Enter type of unused objects to purge [Blocks/DEtailviewstyles/Dimstyles/Groups/LAyers/LTypes/MAterials/MUltileaderstyles/Plotstyles/SHapes/textSTyles/Mlinestyles/SEctionviewstyles/Tablestyles/Visualstyles/Regapps/Zero-length geometry/Empty text objects/Orphaned data/All]: all

Enter name(s) to purge <*>: *
Verify each name to be purged? [Yes/No] <Y>: n

Message 10 of 13
imadHabash

@Anonymous wrote (  . . I used purge and it worked ) i suggest to close this issue. then post your new question please in another new post.

Waiting...

Message 11 of 13
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

If you use the Purge command to bring up the Purge window you can selectively purge items too. You don't have to remove everything from the drawing unless you want to.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 12 of 13
owitzki

Just wondering if there is routine to delete block by picking it and that particular block will be deleted in the entire drawing? Is multiple pick possible?

Tnx,

Message 13 of 13
imadHabash
in reply to: owitzki

after selecting the block without any active command,right click and go to Select Similar then delete them all.

gt.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost