Did you mean: 

Creating a Solid

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
operatorWMEUA
640 Views, 24 Replies

Creating a Solid

I'm not a CAD designer so I have just done the best I can with this. I need to make a mold to thermoform a plastic piece on so I've drawn this. I need to convert it to a solid so I can export an STL file for the 3d printer. I did this by extruding. Can someone tell me the steps? I've tried reading up everything I could find, but nothing is working.
mold.jpg

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Patchy
in reply to: operatorWMEUA

Like this:

Draw the end view with a polyline, then offset to get the interior.

Loft the outside, Loft the inside.

On top, draw the rectangles and use it to PRESSPULL thru the shell.

Union them.

Capture.JPGFollow the drawings and you'll get the hang of it.

Message 3 of 25

@operatorWMEUA hello, you can try this in the command prompt type "shademode" and see if this helps. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 4 of 25
dishithmc

Dear Mr. operatorWMEUA

Please find the attached video for your reference.

Hope this could help you.

Regards

Di****h.

Message 5 of 25

Man, you guys are great. I'll be spending some time on all these suggestions this morning and I'll share my results. Thanks everyone!

Message 6 of 25
operatorWMEUA
in reply to: Patchy

Patchy, I guess I should have changed the angle a bit more to show that the rectangles on the top are raised. Imagine like the knobbies on a dirt bike tire.

Message 7 of 25

I've gotten so far, but I'm stuck. I've recreated the drawing and I've made the rectangular array. Now I'm trying to extrude the array and I get "Cannot sweep or extrude an object of this type".

I notice in the video that when the array is selected that each point in the array is highlighted and in my drawing when I select my array it just highlights the entire thing with no points highlighted if that makes sense. Can't see where I've done anything different though.

Attaching my file, if I can be nudged in the right direction that would be great. I want to learn this so guidance is all I need.

Message 8 of 25

I exploded it, now I can extrude. Moving forward!
Message 9 of 25
Patchy

I don't think it can be done with irregular surface, it can be done with an arc.

(I can't open your drawing, it's too new for me)

Capture.JPG

Message 10 of 25
operatorWMEUA

Can I fill the subtracted array (knobs)? Maybe convert it to an object that can be raised?

Message 11 of 25
Patchy

Can you save the drawing to 2007 format, I'll take a look at it.

Message 12 of 25
operatorWMEUA

Here you go!

Message 13 of 25
Patchy

The way to do it is SLICE using a surface, if this is what you're after.

Capture.JPGThis is before using UNION, Union and then use command STLOUT

Message 14 of 25
operatorWMEUA

That is what I'm after. I thought I had it. I converted the subtracted array into an object and moved it up .1875" which to me looked like it gave me the raised knobs I needed. How do I look at it the way you're showing me where is looks solid? Attaching my last save.

Message 15 of 25
Patchy

How about this?

Capture.JPG

Message 16 of 25
operatorWMEUA

That looks like exactly what I'm trying to do. What is the second step you did where you have only one knob sticking up? How did you create that? The rest makes sense after that.

Message 17 of 25
Patchy

Set osnap to endpoint, use PLINE command draw around the base, extrude vertically to get a solid then copy 7 more still using endpoint for accuracy.

Message 18 of 25
operatorWMEUA

I have to thank everyone for helping me with this! Invaluable resource here.

Message 19 of 25

Well I thought I had it. Am I done? Can I export this as an stl for the 3d printer? If not what do I need to do now? Attached it again.

Message 20 of 25
parkr4st

you have a basic profile of the front in you first post. arched pline top rectangle sort of thing

add the four bumps profiles to that profile

add a polygon with the bottom profile the top of your arch/pl

extrude the lower full width

extrude the upper the width of the gap and side cuts : may require copying the upper profile if different width extrusions are needed

subtract top solids from bottom soild

done.  you'll have to check it out for dimensions, etc.

attached

dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost