Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Extents

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
falconbird1
1351 Views, 12 Replies

Zoom Extents

When using the command zoom extents it does not extend to all the entities on the drawing. it actually reduces the view of the drawing. Does not do it to all drawings.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: falconbird1

reduces the view? As in it zooms out too far away? If that's what you meant, then you have an object at that far edge or edges doing so. Zoom Extents responds to all the objects in your file to zoom out to the extents of all objects in your file.

Start ERASE command and go around the edges of where you think there ashould be nothing and see what gets picked up. Ensure ALL layers are thawed/on/unlocked first.

Message 3 of 13
falconbird1
in reply to: pendean

No, it's the opposite. The view becomes smaller and there are entities outside the view that I can't see. I have to use the roller on my mouse to view everything.

Message 4 of 13
nestly2

Can  you attach a sample drawing?

Message 5 of 13
steve216586

Type LIMITS in command line.

Turn "off"

Try zoom extents again.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 13
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: steve216586

@steve216586 wrote:

Type LIMITS in command line.

Turn "off"

I don't think that will do it.  The On/Off condition of Limits is only about whether or not AutoCAD will allow you to draw things outside the Limits.  [And even when Limits checking is On, you can still draw certain things in a way that results in parts of objects being outside the Limits, e.g. a Circle with its center within the Limits but a radius large enough that the resultilng Circle extends outside, Text that extends outside, etc.]  It has no effect on Zooming to the Extents.  I believe the only impact the Limits can have on Zoom Extents is that if nothing is drawn, asking to Zoom to the Extents will get you a Zoom to the Limits instead.  But if anything is drawn, Zoom Extents will [or should -- that's why it would be good to see a sample drawing] go to the extents of the drawn stuff, whether they coincide with or are larger or smaller than the drawing Limits.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 13
GrantsPirate

How are you calling the Zoom Extents command?  From the ribbon, palette, command line?  I am guessing that if from a menu item that it has been redefined.  Type Zoom, Extents at the command line to see if it makes a difference.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 8 of 13
falconbird1
in reply to: nestly2

sorry I can't

Message 9 of 13
falconbird1
in reply to: steve216586

turning limits off does not work.

Message 10 of 13
falconbird1
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Turning the limits off does not work.

Message 11 of 13
falconbird1
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

however when I type "LIMITS" my crosshair changes direction. It's not parallel to the screen.

Message 12 of 13
falconbird1
in reply to: GrantsPirate

That is how I invoke the command, by typing in on the command line. I will try from the ribbon.

Message 13 of 13
falconbird1

I think I found it.

If I go into PS I can invoke the command viewport max then go into MS and type the command zoom extents and all is good. I can see all the entities.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost