AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

jvr.arq
Message 1 of 6 (1,207 Views)

Xref problems when hatching.

1207 Views, 5 Replies
05-31-2012 05:26 PM

Hi, I have a problem everytime I hatch in Autocad 2011 drawing with a x-ref.

If I do it on top of the xref  it copies the x-ref file into the drawing as a block and explodes the block.

So now I have the x-ref file still attached and a block of the x-ref on top of it exploded which objects do not belong to any layer at all and that I have to delete one by one.

Any clues about it?

Thank you.

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 2 of 6 (1,206 Views)

Re: Xref problems when hatching.

05-31-2012 06:04 PM in reply to: jvr.arq

When I hatch on xrefs (and this is just how I do it, not necessarily the "proper" way) I will always draw a new object (usually a polyline object) on its own layer in the drawing on top of the xref.  Then, when I want to hatch I select that object to hatch... not an area or object on the xref itself.

Not sure if this will make a difference in your case, but it's worth a shot.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
jvr.arq
Message 3 of 6 (1,203 Views)

05-31-2012 06:46 PM in reply to: heinsite
Dear Dave, Thank you for your answer, but that is exactly what I do. I draw a polyline to hatch, but I have to move it away from the drawing with the xref, otherwise the error occurs. I do not hatch anymore on using the xref as boundary, that is when the CAD always collapses.
*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 4 of 6 (1,195 Views)

05-31-2012 08:55 PM in reply to: jvr.arq

Interesting.  Does this happen with every xref you use or is it just with a particular file?  Can you create a simple "attachment" file, save it, and open another host file to attach it to and reproduce the problem?  Try that and see what happens.  If it does, upload the two files here so we can have a look.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
jvr.arq
Message 5 of 6 (1,152 Views)

06-08-2012 11:34 AM in reply to: jvr.arq

Hi Dave; thanks for your answer and sorry that took me long to reply. Unfortunately, we have eliminated that file in the office, and created a new one from zero. But I have a new file that makes weird things too:  if you want to hatch on top of the xref, it "detects"  all layers from the x-ref file that i have turned off, it showes them, and then they dissappear, and as a final result, I get a hatch that mimics the shape of the objects from the xref file.

Take a look at the screenshots while I perform this operation.

01-Making a simple rectangle to hatch

01.jpg

02-Selecting a pick point (look at the shape of the hatch preview)

02.jpg

03-This is the moment when the problem occurs. All the objects from the xref file appear.

03.jpg

04-Final result. 

04.jpg

It could happen this, or it could happen that all the objects that you can see in image three, they are now "pasted" in my new drawing and belong to no layer...(those are objects from the xref file as I told you).

In this case, the drawing is different and the xref is another file. They are very clean, very light, very simple. no reason for something like this.

What do you think?

Thanks in advanced.

ultimatemelly
Message 6 of 6 (1,146 Views)

06-08-2012 01:46 PM in reply to: jvr.arq

I just made a post yesterday of a similar problem. My theory is that hatches pick up on all elements of a drawing, so that includes things that are hidden. If you put an xref in your drawing and xclip it, for example, your hatch will reveal the entire clipped drawing while you are selecting your elements to hatch. When you're done your hatch selections, the "revealed" aspects go away like normal. Unfortunately, this sometimes means there are more boundaries than you need. To get around this, I had to "unload" the xref (I made poly lines around the areas I needed to hatch), do my hatches like usual.

In my other post, I also came accross a problem where my hatches weren't detecting islands on one floor plan, but working fine on another. Still haven't sorted that one out.

Melly.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.