Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xref path problem - path lost for 1 comp. when another "updates" path

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
880 Views, 5 Replies

xref path problem - path lost for 1 comp. when another "updates" path

we are having xref path problems (autocad 2010).

we are in a group of 4, sharing 1 server for all drawing files.

when 1 of the 4 computers opens drawings, the xref's do not show. 

the xref's saved paths are shown, but "unfound."

if that 1 computer updates/fixes the path (using 'xref manager') it "finds" the xref, but the path is then "unfound" for the other 3 computers (and vice versa).

this xref path problem does not occur between the other 3 computers.

it only occurs when the 1 computer needs to work on the same drawings as the other 3. 

i've researched similar xref path problems, but none seem to be the same as our problem. 

i've tried to update/fix the paths using 'reference manager' but we continue to have the same problem. 

it appears that each computer uses the same path to the xref drawings too. 

help! 

-zz

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

From your description it would appear that:
1. You're not saving full paths
Or
2. On PC's Drive Z (or whatever you tagged the server to show on the PCs) is another PC's Drive X: the paths being saved are not identical on all PCs
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
From your description it would appear that:
1. You're not saving full paths
Or
2. On PC's Drive Z (or whatever you tagged the server to show on the PCs) is another PC's Drive X: the paths being saved are not identical on all PCs

1. i believe we are saving full paths. 

the xref manger 'details' displays all paths from the server drive (P:\) to the xref name.

2. we all have the server tagged the same (P:\).

thanks pendean.

i had a 2nd computer open a drawing i had worked on recently (which i have no path problems) and the paths were the same, but the xref was not found on the 2nd computer.

again, the other 3 computers don't have this problem amongst themselves (thus, i believe no 'full path' or 'drive' problems). 

it's only when this 4th computer uses and updates/fixes the xref paths in the drawings.

Message 4 of 6
jggerth

on a working-properly computer, open a command window, and run the NET USE command,

then, on the computer that is not working properly, do the same thing.  

Are the unc path names s for P: exactly identical?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

@jggerth wrote:

on a working-properly computer, open a command window, and run the NET USE command,

then, on the computer that is not working properly, do the same thing.  

Are the unc path names s for P: exactly identical?

yes, the UNC path names (for P: ) are identical between computers.

thanks jgerth.

Message 6 of 6
pendean

IS there any way you can create a new folder, both of you access it in Windows Explorer at the same time?
I want you to create two files in there, then XREF one of them into the other: ensure your partner is watching from their PC. Now ask the to open your top file from Windows Explorer. Do they lose the Xref? Do they need to repath it?
Repeat the test but have your colleague create the folder and files and you open the top file. Same issues?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost