Did you mean: 

XREF file is not coming into drawing correctly

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Ryan_Biankowski
414 Views, 6 Replies

XREF file is not coming into drawing correctly

Hey everyone,

I have a Base file (A) where everything is correct.  I previously had A XReferenced into the new file (B).  I updated somethings in file A and now the locations of everything are off in file B. 

I tried checking the Base points, coordinates, restarted everything, detached & re-attched the xref.  Anyone have a solution? 

Much appreciated,

Ryan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi,

>> I updated somethings in file A

What modifications have you done in file A, for me that's the source of your issue.

When you have moved, scaled, rotated, ... something in A it might be the reason for that.

If you know that changed, undo them, if you don't know them exactly you might use your A.BAK-file to get the previous version of the file (or use a restore from your backup).

If all fails you can use command _ALIGN to reposition/reorient/rescale your XRef within B.DWG.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply, Alfred.  File A comes in incorrect when XReferenced into B.  Things are literally not where they are suppose to be.  I am trying to annotate things in B so it's annoying because everything is a few inches off on screen.

Message 4 of 7

Looking a the attachment, I've noticed that when I click on the object in the Base file (A) that it shows the previous version of the object in dashed outline.  That object is the version showing up when XRef'd.  Any ideas?

Message 5 of 7

Hi,

>> File A comes in incorrect when XReferenced into B

Yes, I understood that, and therefor I have asked what modifications have you done in A.DWG?

As a sample: when you have a file A.DWG with a rectangle from 1,1 to 10,10 and you XRef this into file B.DWG (insertion of the XRef at 0,0) then you'll see a rectangle from 1,1 to 10,10 (as long as there is no scaling from units).

When you now open A.DWG and move rectangle (from lower/left point 1,1 to 2,2), you save the drawing and then you update B.DWG the rectangle will not be shown at 1,1 any more.

So either you have modified A.DWG (as you wrote you did) or you moved/scaled/rotated the XRef in B.DWG ... that are the two options of what might have happened.

What's about my suggestions (restore from backup or run command _ALIGN)?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

sorry, our mails crossed!

>> Looking a the attachment, I've noticed that when I click on the object in the Base file (A)

>> that it shows the previous version of the object in dashed outline

Can we have the drawings?

Are you using annotative objects? Then change sysvar SELECTIONANNODISPLAY to 0 and see if the dashed object again appears when you select the XRef.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for all your help, Alfred!  It seems I have made a silly, small mistake.  The scale's were off between the two drawings, i think the dotted, previous version of the objects were referencing the two scale differences.  Although, when I did the SELECTIONANNODISPLAY command it did infact turn off those previous versions. 

Thanks again, finally can get some work done!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost