AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

cjb
cjb
Message 1 of 8 (582 Views)

Windows 7 Server Service.

582 Views, 7 Replies
06-16-2011 08:40 AM

I would like to run autocad 2011 with the windows server service turned off. 

With the service turned on, AC works fine.

With it turned off AC hangs when trying to Open/Save/New.

Does anyone know why the server service is needed for file operations?

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 2 of 8 (563 Views)

Re: Windows 7 Server Service.

06-16-2011 11:45 AM in reply to: cjb

it's not DOS anymore.  killing the Server Service on a workstation is like pulling the plug.  you're effectively rendering the machine uselses, because so many things are running concurrently and interacting.  Think of the server service as the traffic cop that organizes all that and keeps it flowing.  Kill the cop, and everything snarls up

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 8 (559 Views)

06-16-2011 12:07 PM in reply to: cjb

Can you share why you want to turn it off?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
cjb
cjb
Message 4 of 8 (551 Views)

06-16-2011 12:54 PM in reply to: cjb

This service "Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start".

I am supporting quite a few workstations with distributed network installs and I am trying to limit possible attack vectors of a remote code execution type.

These workstations run quite a few network distributed applications very well without needing this service turned on. ACAD 2007 did very well without this service turned on. 

AutoCAD 2010,2011,and 2012 do not save/open or new with this service turned on.

I'll reiterate, why should local file operations depend on a network server service?

JGERTH, everything in your post is ill informed and untrue.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 5 of 8 (546 Views)

06-16-2011 01:08 PM in reply to: cjb

thank you for the info -- I shot from the hip and missed.:smileysad:  Thinking too unixy/x-windows I guess.

Question: at which version of Acad did you swith from WinXP to Win7 -- (I'm guessing that 2007 was running on XP machines?)  Possible that is the difference?   other possibility - Will internet explorer run w/o the server service?  Adesk is becoming increasingly dependent on Windows infrastructure, incl IE

other question.... what network distributed apps run without the server service? 

cjb
cjb
Message 6 of 8 (541 Views)

06-16-2011 01:38 PM in reply to: JGerth

No worries fella.

The apps I deal with are hosted on an applications server, most create local profiles thus only install from the server, but there are some such as raynoise and pymol  that as a requirement reference a server in their operation.

I must stess Im not a network technician, I actually write documentation,  test software, and support some desktop issues.

2007 worked well on the xp machines, when upgrading to windows 7 there were a few issues regarding interaction with local user profiles, seem to work ok with a reg fix here and there (and compatibility mode!)

All browser software seems to run ok w/o the service.

The wierd thing about this issue is that if the profile under R18 in the registry is deleted, and then the program runs again, the second atage installer kicks in and from that point all the dialogs work fine on the first run, as soon as you close the program, run again, on using the open command, the software just hangs. I have tried this process with opening from file, open command on the command line and just using the menu. I have repeated the process with the save command to no avail.

Ive been through the registry more times than an over zealous clerk. 

I wonder if anyone has a similar issue?

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 7 of 8 (522 Views)

06-17-2011 05:11 AM in reply to: cjb

I played at home last nite, Win764 & Map3D 2012.  Stopping the Server Service also stopped  the Computer Browser Service, and a Homegroup service.  AutoCAD would start, but any Open command resulted in a not responding state.  Oddly, rebooting and leaving the services alone also left Acad non-responsive on a file open.  I ended up doing a repair to get back to normal.

Speculation -- since Autodesk has tweaked the "File Open" to include their stuff, possibly their modifications are dependent on either the Browser or Server services.

Alternatively, the changes to dotNet since 2007 may be the cause.  It might be worth running ProcessMonitor to see if you can identify exactly what's hanging where.

dunno if that will help at all, byt may be worth a shot.

cjb
cjb
Message 8 of 8 (517 Views)

06-17-2011 05:41 AM in reply to: JGerth

Thanks alot for the effort. 

It is all for food for thought, I have asked the same question over at autodesk support and all I got was a boilerplate response and a repeat of the definition of the server service from Eva Stahl. 

I will press further for answers.

Again, thanks for your efforts.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.