AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
Exmateria
Message 1 of 13 (1,795 Views)

Why is there no rename option in the AutoCAD object contextual menu?

1795 Views, 12 Replies
07-07-2011 11:05 AM

Why is there no rename option in the #AutoCAD object contextual menu, for Blocks for example? (source)

JIMDONALDSON6595
Message 2 of 13 (1,786 Views)

Re: Why is there no rename option in the AutoCAD object contextual menu?

07-07-2011 12:05 PM in reply to: Exmateria

Under FORMAT is the RENAME command (You can also type in RENAME, sorry I have no idea where it is on the ribbon.

The dialog box has multiple selections for type of objects to RENAME, from blocks to Views. Just remember to select the item to rename, enter the new name and then press the Rename To button

And wildcards work too.

Jim

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 3 of 13 (1,761 Views)

07-08-2011 05:44 AM in reply to: Exmateria
Why? Who knows. Feel free to add it yourself
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
Exmateria
Message 4 of 13 (1,757 Views)

07-08-2011 05:59 AM in reply to: mathewk

Sure, I did that 10 years ago in AutoCAD 2000, the question was not can I do it myself, but why Autodesk cannot do it.

More seriously, I was not thinking only about me but about millions of AutoCAD users who are not programmers, add LT users to that and people who wonder why in every software they know there is a right click rename option, like in Windows Explorer for a start and not in their 20 years old AutoCAD,

Seems to me that being able to rename a named object (and not only blocks) by right click is an obvious use of the contextual method, more obvious and useful than launching the QuickCalc command when you have selected a block...

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 5 of 13 (1,749 Views)

07-08-2011 07:30 AM in reply to: Exmateria
Maybe not many poeple have a need for such a right click option. Personnaly, I have no desire for such a command and I would appreciate development time spent more on other things.

There's already a command called RENAME which you can add to your right click shortcut menu without programming using the CUI.

Submit this as a wish over at AUGI? Maybe you'll see it sometime in the future.
Matt Kolberg
Exmateria
Message 6 of 13 (1,745 Views)

07-08-2011 07:36 AM in reply to: mathewk

I can see why a right click rename option is a contextual thing, it's because the object to rename would already be selected and thus it's name known to the system, but I fail to see why the QuickCalc command is contextual when you have a block selected. Therefore, it is logical to replace this non-contextual option by a contextual one in the contextual menu. Nothing personnal or subjective, just plain logic.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 13 (1,719 Views)

07-09-2011 05:06 AM in reply to: Exmateria
Got Ideas for improving AutoCAD/LT?
Submit and vote for ideas to improve your experience:
Http://ow.ly/1ujF5f (does not work with IE9)
The AUGI wish list forum is the "Traditional" place to submit your ideas and vote on them:
http://www.augi.com/community/autocad/autocad-wishlist/

If you don't tell them what you want, they are not going to guess it on their own. The trick is to get many other users to agree with you. That's how it works. Logic is for the arm-chair coaches only.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Exmateria
Message 8 of 13 (1,700 Views)

07-10-2011 12:38 PM in reply to: pendean

Well, I explained I wish there was a right click rename for named object in AutoCAD like there is a right click rename command in Windows Explorer, what is there to explain further? This is pretty simple no? I saw there is a QuickCalc command in the contextual menu that has nothing to do here and is a sure sign of a lack of logic from Autodesk. I do not think AutoCAD users who never used this QuickCalc contextual command are all armchair coaches, I rather think they wish to find something useful would be there instead.

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 9 of 13 (1,698 Views)

07-10-2011 02:30 PM in reply to: Exmateria
Have you submitted your wish on the AUGI site yet?
Matt Kolberg
JIMDONALDSON6595
Message 10 of 13 (1,677 Views)

07-11-2011 05:24 AM in reply to: mathewk

And Just how many AUGI wish llist items has Autodesk implemented? Especially since they went to a yearly release.

Jim

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.