AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Reply
*Pro
murray-clack
Posts: 1,798
Registered: ‎12-08-2003
Message 1 of 9 (6,645 Views)

Which is better - AutoCAD 2011 as 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

6645 Views, 8 Replies
04-27-2010 04:42 AM
In the very near future, our company will be upgrading to AutoCAD 2011 [and its verticals, like C3D] from version 2009.

My IT department is wondering whether to upgrade to 64 bit, or stay at 32?

Does anyone have any [hands down] reasons whether to use one or the other?

We are all currently on Windows XP Professional, and depending on any replies, we may either stay with XP or upgrade to Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!
*Dean Saadallah
Message 2 of 9 (6,645 Views)

Re: Which is better - AutoCAD 2011 as 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

04-27-2010 05:24 AM in reply to: murray-clack
Since even consumer PCs at your megamart and officemart have gone 64bit and
Windows 7, hanging on to 32bit XP is not the way to move forward in business
IMHO.

Just make sure your IT tests legacy hardware drivers (printer, plotters,
scanners etc.) for Win7 compliance and develop fixes or workarounds (or new
purchases) before implementing 64bit Win7 to everyone.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
*Laurie Comerford
Message 3 of 9 (6,645 Views)

Re: Which is better - AutoCAD 2011 as 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

04-27-2010 05:24 AM in reply to: murray-clack
Hi murray,

Search the Civil 3D newsgroup for posts on this subject by Peter Funk.

It's a non issue. Win 7 64 bit is by far and away the recommended system.


Regards,

Laurie Comerford


murrayclack7167 wrote:
> In the very near future, our company will be upgrading to AutoCAD 2011 [and its verticals, like C3D] from version 2009.
>
> My IT department is wondering whether to upgrade to 64 bit, or stay at 32?
>
> Does anyone have any [hands down] reasons whether to use one or the other?
>
> We are all currently on Windows XP Professional, and depending on any replies, we may either stay with XP or upgrade to Windows 7.
>
> Thanks in advance!
*Brad
Message 4 of 9 (6,645 Views)

Re: Which is better - AutoCAD 2011 as 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

04-27-2010 06:11 AM in reply to: murray-clack
I am running both, but not because of AutoCAD. We have some old software
that won't run on even Vista 32 bit. We must have XP 32 bit. Check for
similar problems with your systems. If everything will run on Windows 7 64
bit, that will be the best for AutoCAD 2011.

Brad
C3D 2010 on Vista Business 64 SP 2, 3.0 GHz Core 2 Quad, 8 GB RAM, Geforce
GTS 250 1GB, 150 GB hard drive
LT 2011 on XP Pro SP 3, 3.0 GHz P4, 3 GB RAM, FireGL V5100 128 MB, Mirrored
Raid with two 80 GB Raptors 10K RPM

wrote in message news:6381028@discussion.autodesk.com...
In the very near future, our company will be upgrading to AutoCAD 2011 [and
its verticals, like C3D] from version 2009.

My IT department is wondering whether to upgrade to 64 bit, or stay at 32?

Does anyone have any [hands down] reasons whether to use one or the other?

We are all currently on Windows XP Professional, and depending on any
replies, we may either stay with XP or upgrade to Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!
*neilw
Message 5 of 9 (6,645 Views)

Re: Which is better - AutoCAD 2011 as 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

04-27-2010 07:11 AM in reply to: murray-clack
I think the big question is: how well does Win 7 support hardware, legacy
applications and 32 bit network environments? Of course if we want to run
C3D with the recommended specs we don't really much of a choice. Still it
important to be informed about Win 7 64bit and legacy hardware and software.



__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5065 (20100427) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com
*Tony Tanzillo
Message 6 of 9 (6,645 Views)

Re: Which is better - AutoCAD 2011 as 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

04-27-2010 08:06 AM in reply to: murray-clack
64 bit is a no-brainer right now.

Even if you don't have any 64 bit apps, A 64 bit OS is still
better, because you can stick 12 GB of RAM into one, and
each 32 bit process will get its own separate piece of that,
rather than sharing the same 2-3 GB of RAM, as would be
the case on a 32 bit OS.

The only issue with AutoCAD is that if you are dependent
on VBA based customization, you should know that it is
nearly unusable on 64 bit versions of AutoCAD, and can
impose a massive performance hit on everything you do,
so essential VBA code needs to be migrated to VB.NET.

--
http://www.caddzone.com

AcadXTabs: MDI Document Tabs for AutoCAD
Supporting AutoCAD 2000 through 2011

http://www.acadxtabs.com

Email: string.Format("{0}@{1}.com", "tonyt", "caddzone");

wrote in message news:6381028@discussion.autodesk.com...
In the very near future, our company will be upgrading to AutoCAD 2011 [and its
verticals, like C3D] from version 2009.

My IT department is wondering whether to upgrade to 64 bit, or stay at 32?

Does anyone have any [hands down] reasons whether to use one or the other?

We are all currently on Windows XP Professional, and depending on any replies,
we may either stay with XP or upgrade to Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!
*Alessi Marc'Antonio
Message 7 of 9 (6,645 Views)

Re: Which is better - AutoCAD 2011 as 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

04-27-2010 09:34 AM in reply to: murray-clack
> The only issue with AutoCAD is that if you are dependent
> on VBA based customization, you should know that it is
> nearly unusable on 64 bit versions of AutoCAD, and can
> impose a massive performance hit on everything you do,

Yes, as in 2010, after loading "VBA system" every command
slow down, I have tested in AutoCAD 2011 - Windows Seven 64:
array 200x500 of a circle = 12 second before VBA
40 second after load VBA


> so essential VBA code needs to be migrated to VB.NET.

I am using from years ONLY a command "_.VBASTMT" to load a lisp in a
"non current" document, after loading the Lisp execute itself and
close the "non current" switching back to the "sending" document.
With this method I can batch load a function in several DWG and
avoid problems of the script files.

How can I substitute VBASTMT and still use my Lisp code?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

> 64 bit is a no-brainer right now.
>
> Even if you don't have any 64 bit apps, A 64 bit OS is still
> better, because you can stick 12 GB of RAM into one, and
> each 32 bit process will get its own separate piece of that,
> rather than sharing the same 2-3 GB of RAM, as would be
> the case on a 32 bit OS.
>
> The only issue with AutoCAD is that if you are dependent
> on VBA based customization, you should know that it is
> nearly unusable on 64 bit versions of AutoCAD, and can
> impose a massive performance hit on everything you do,
> so essential VBA code needs to be migrated to VB.NET.
>
> --
> http://www.caddzone.com
>
> AcadXTabs: MDI Document Tabs for AutoCAD
> Supporting AutoCAD 2000 through 2011
>
> http://www.acadxtabs.com
>
> Email: string.Format("{0}@{1}.com", "tonyt", "caddzone");
>
> wrote in message news:6381028@discussion.autodesk.com...
> In the very near future, our company will be upgrading to AutoCAD 2011 [and
> its verticals, like C3D] from version 2009.
>
> My IT department is wondering whether to upgrade to 64 bit, or stay at 32?
>
> Does anyone have any [hands down] reasons whether to use one or the other?
>
> We are all currently on Windows XP Professional, and depending on any
> replies, we may either stay with XP or upgrade to Windows 7.
>
> Thanks in advance!

--
Marc'Antonio Alessi

http://alessi.xoom.it//alessi/Programmi.htm
(vl-string-translate "1234567890" "ie@mst.lan" "499825513610716")
> 2D Parametric for 2000-2010 <
*F. Gump
Message 8 of 9 (6,645 Views)

Re: Which is better - AutoCAD 2011 as 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

04-28-2010 12:49 PM in reply to: murray-clack
...most computers only go up to 32, but these go to 64.


--------------------------------
Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board,
eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most
blokes, you know, will be playing at ten.






"murrayclack7167" wrote in message news:6381028@discussion.autodesk.com...
> In the very near future, our company will be upgrading to AutoCAD 2011
> [and its verticals, like C3D] from version 2009.
>
> My IT department is wondering whether to upgrade to 64 bit, or stay at 32?
>
> Does anyone have any [hands down] reasons whether to use one or the other?
>
> We are all currently on Windows XP Professional, and depending on any
> replies, we may either stay with XP or upgrade to Windows 7.
>
> Thanks in advance!
*neilw
Message 9 of 9 (6,645 Views)

Re: Which is better - AutoCAD 2011 as 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

04-28-2010 02:00 PM in reply to: murray-clack
Regretably it seems we have come to the 64bit crossroads before the
mainstream software industry. This could make life even more difficult for
those of us who are trying to implement C3D. Also I don't have much hope of
Autocad users achieving critical mass that moves the software developers to
port their apps to 64 bit. Even if they do it means more cost to update all
the key software components.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.