AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 1 of 16

When opening file most menu text is missing.

347 Views, 15 Replies
03-29-2013 05:05 PM

When opening and AUTOCAD file much of the menu text is missing.  What would cause this?  Please help.

10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 2 of 16

Re: When opening file most menu text is missing.

03-29-2013 05:14 PM in reply to: wheels4hextall

If you open AutoCAD the program everything is visible with no issues but as soon as you open any file random text has now disappeared.

You can still select the missing text but you have no idea what you are selecting.  What would cause this to happen.  This started happening right after a recent update.  But if I just restore to before the update the update will continue to be pushed.  It is not an option to run without running updates they are manditory for my company.

How do I fix this problem?

*Expert Elite*
9,836 Posts
1,219 Kudos
Post 3 of 16

03-29-2013 09:29 PM in reply to: wheels4hextall

Hi,

look to the process of initiating the secondary installer from >>>here<<< (be careful, that is for 2010, you need to adopt the mentioned process to 2011, e.g. don't search for R18.0 but R18.1 which is the internal release number for 2011).

Before that backup your user-directory, so if you have done any customization you might get parts of that back.

An alternative to verify if AutoCAD needs to be repaired is to create a new user-account to your Windows, login then with that account and start AutoCAD there. If that also show the same symptoms then an AutoCAD repair would be necessary (from control-panel ==> software ==> AutoCAD).

Good luck, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 4 of 16

03-30-2013 09:25 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Not comfortable messing with the registry.  It is a work computer so there are some things I can't do. 

The problem is not consistant.  Sometimes the text is there and sometimes not. 
It has been gradually getting worse but everything is fine if you open AutoCAD but as soon as you open a file the menus disappear.

One other thing is when I go to start and go to something and it opens a ribbon some of them appear right and some appear but are blue instead of white background.  Not sure if that is related.

Any help would be much appreciated.

*Expert Elite*
9,836 Posts
1,219 Kudos
Post 5 of 16

03-30-2013 09:53 AM in reply to: wheels4hextall

Hi,

>> The problem is not consistant.  Sometimes the text is there and sometimes not.

Important info, thx! Ok, in that case it is at least no defect menu or user preferences.

As long as you can't isolate the problem (when does the problem occure and when not) you can try to make some changes that might help, these are:

• if you are running Win7 disable AERO
  • update your graphic-card driver (or let it update, if you are not allowed to do that)
  • try running AutoCAD with disabled hardware-acceleration (command _3DCONFIG ==> manual tune)

And let us know your system specs, what os do you have, what gc, how much memory, ...

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 6 of 16

03-30-2013 10:09 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Running XP and I dont have it in front of me so not positive of the  memory specs....will get back and let you know.

But right now text is missing on every file but it may not be exact same text from file to file.

10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 7 of 16

03-30-2013 12:11 PM in reply to: wheels4hextall

HP ProBook 6560B

3Gb RAM ,  Intel Core i5 2520m CPU  @2.5Ghz

32 bit Windows XP Operating System

Hard Drive 160GB or 230Gb available.

10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 8 of 16

03-30-2013 12:12 PM in reply to: wheels4hextall

Graphics Card

Intel HD Graphics 3000 card installed.

*Expert Elite*
9,836 Posts
1,219 Kudos
Post 9 of 16

03-30-2013 12:23 PM in reply to: wheels4hextall

Hi,

>> Intel HD Graphics 3000 card installed.

The last message was the one I would not like to read as the Intel gc is not the best to be used with CAD.

But: do you have a dual screen system? And do you run AutoCAD on the 2nd monitor? If so what happens if you move the AutoCAD application window to your first display (laptop internal display), close AutoCAD and restart it again ==> Text missing?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
10 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 10 of 16

03-30-2013 12:37 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Yes, do have dual monitor capibility at work and it was the same on both.  When open AutoCAD everything works fine and there is no problems at all.  But as soon as you open an file the text is gone. It is not exactly the same every time.  And if you know what you want to select you still can as it will allow you to select but the text is only thing gone it still appears to basically operate properly.

I cannot try dual monitor right this second as it is only an option from work but it did seem to work the same from laptop monitor and desk monitor.

The weirdest part is that over the last week or so it has gradually gotten worse as sometimes text would be missing but if I closed it and reopened it then it would be fine.  Now everytime I open something text is missing...but again ONLY when opening a file (any file).

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!