AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

smayes
Message 1 of 14 (392 Views)

What would be the advatges of Drawing in Paper space versus Model space?

392 Views, 13 Replies
08-26-2011 10:17 AM

I am trying to figure out the best way of telling upper managment they are a little crazy by wanting the drafting department to draw everything in paper space. They got a wild hair and said they had heard that it would be easier to control multi page drawings if everything was done in paper space and not use model space at all. Asid from attaching X-Refs what would be the other disadvantages?

Thanks for the help

Mentor
DSM_dude
Message 2 of 14 (376 Views)

Re: What would be the advatges of Drawing in Paper space versus Model space?

08-26-2011 10:40 AM in reply to: smayes

Are you serious? :smileysurprised:

Cad Blog:
http://geauxcad.wordpress.com/
*Expert Elite*
azrdgldr
Message 3 of 14 (373 Views)

08-26-2011 10:43 AM in reply to: smayes

smayes, Another thing you can add is having your model space objects plot at different scales in paperspace.  You can also make a viewport in paperspace and create a zoomed in detail of a complex area of your objects.

smayes
Message 4 of 14 (353 Views)

08-26-2011 11:17 AM in reply to: DSM_dude

Yes I am serius. upper managment wants us to draw everything in paper space and no longer use model space. I think this is about as stupid as it can get becuase you are so limited in paper space. I just want to get as many arguments and opinions as I can so I can go to upper management and show them what the rest of CAD users think of this idea.

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 5 of 14 (329 Views)

08-26-2011 01:34 PM in reply to: smayes

Below are all the advantages of drawing in PS versus in MS:

Oh I see.  There is none.  Link them to this thread so that we all can laugh at them.

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 6 of 14 (299 Views)

08-26-2011 04:48 PM in reply to: smayes

It is bad enough when people want to work only in MS, but PS!  Except for schematics, flow diagrams, P&ID's I can't think of any type of drawing that would benefit from working in PS.

If only in PS you lose the viewports to expose the work in MS.  This means you lose:

1) layer control for freezing per viewport, colors per viewport overrides, linetype per viewport overrides, plot style overrides per viewport, etc.  

2) plotting to 1:1, setting the paper space to true size means everyone knows what plot scale to use each time you plot.

3) ability to make multiple sheets within the same drawing

4) xrefs become more difficult to handle

5) showing different scaled views of the same area in MS

6) plotting reduced sets with lineweight scaled

7) 3D work

8) some commands that are very handy for 2D and 3D won't work in PS, UCS manipulation, etc.

I am sure there are many more, those are the ones that come to mind quickly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 7 of 14 (281 Views)

08-26-2011 10:00 PM in reply to: smayes

I think somebody told your management one thing, and either a) management heard something else or b) in their zealousness to get management buy-in they oversold the concept.  Like the other posters I don't see any benefits of doing *everything* in paperspace.

A blend of the two would be best, using the advantages of each: objects in model space being "true size" and available in multiple viewports in multiple sheets, title blocks (and possibly annotations, if you are strictly 2D design) in paper space so things like text height and drawing area are true size.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Pro
murray-clack
Message 8 of 14 (237 Views)

08-29-2011 05:20 AM in reply to: dgorsman

Try to explain to "Management" that Paperspace is a PLOTTING environment, not a drawing environemnt.  Granted, things like title-sheets and general notes are ok, but for actual design, it's a "no no".

Imagine this analagy... A secretary dabs "white out" on her computer screen to correct a spelling mistake in "Word"

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 9 of 14 (215 Views)

08-29-2011 09:18 AM in reply to: murray-clack

OP my first thought was similar to dgorsman's. Is your office currently drawing only in modelspace perchance? It does sound like someone tried to explain the advantages of paperspace to somebody who didn't entirely understand that the two work together! Just hit F1 and print out the appropriate sections of the user's guide, that explain how to do this...

Plan B is to find out who misled your superiors, and get them to clarify!

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
Mentor
SugarCAD
Message 10 of 14 (202 Views)

08-29-2011 12:49 PM in reply to: smayes

Just use an Etch-A-Sketch. A lot cheaper and the equivilent of using only paperspace.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.